Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

##RAMPING THREAD##

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

I made that same mistake! Worse still (though better for me), I'm going skiing for 3 days next week and my 5 year old is furious Im not bringing him to the "snowy mountains". I thought snow this weekend would get me out of my pickle and have promised we will be making snow men tomorrow. I could regret this!

Overnight the Nae and MT's forecast have downgraded for my area but I live in hope! We really need the western front to arrive wrapped in its own v cold air. Uppers and dew points are very marginal but thickness will be ok. Fingers crossed.

Prospects in South Tipp are pretty good I'd say btw

Keep the hope! There's still ample opportunity even if it has downgraded! It seems however that most of the sleet and snow is expected to arrive later at night and into Monday morning, which could be very disruptive. Temps are expected to be around 0 or 1 at sea level in Cork, and this could be colder further up. Expect disruption at Cork Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Keep the hope! There's still ample opportunity even if it has downgraded! It seems however that most of the sleet and snow is expected to arrive later at night and into Monday morning, which could be very disruptive. Temps are expected to be around 0 or 1 at sea level in Cork, and this could be colder further up. Expect disruption at Cork Airport.

TAF EICK 201100Z 2012/2112 09012KT 9999 FEW018 BKN030
    BECMG 2015/2018 4000 -RA BKN008
    TEMPO 2018/2021 3000 -RASN BKN004
    BECMG 2021/2024 4000 -RASN SCT001 BKN004 PROB40
    TEMPO 2100/2109 1200 -SN BKN001

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Overnight the Nae and MT's forecast have downgraded for my area but I live in hope!

As this is the ramping thread, I won't reveal what the charts are saying to me this AM. I'm going to the snow addicts withdrawal thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

We've actually done well from such marginal set ups before so I am hopeful in truth. I remember on 10 Jan 2010 many called it as rain but we got 10 hrs of snow. Fingers crossed for a repeat....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Dead_Rabbits

gem0240g.png

If the GEM can pull this one off then it will truly have been the Messi of Forecasting Models this winter!

The GFS the Joey Barton!!!!

gfs0240.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Driving from Dublin to cork. I will be leaving at 6am tomorrow morning. Should I leave today does anyone know. Just worried about being caught up in any snowy conditions. Thanks

TAF EICK 201100Z 2012/2112 09012KT 9999 FEW018 BKN030
    BECMG 2015/2018 4000 -RA BKN008
    TEMPO 2018/2021 3000 -RASN BKN004
    BECMG 2021/2024 4000 -RASN SCT001 BKN004 PROB40
    TEMPO 2100/2109 1200 -SN BKN001

?

Can you please explain this to my ignorant self? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Shamrock841

?

Can you please explain this to my ignorant self? :)

EICK 201202Z 2012/2112 09012KT 9999 SCT008 BKN014 TEMPO 2012/2021 4000 -RASN BKN004 BECMG 2021/2024 3000 -RASN SCT001 BKN004 PROB40 TEMPO 2100/2109 1200 -SN BKN001 BECMG 2103/2106 VRB03KT BECMG 2110/2112 29008KT 9999 NSW SCT015 BKN030

Basically, rain/sleet in 4000m visibility and cloud broken 400ft from 12pm untill 9pm, then from 9pm untill midnight 3000m visibility in rain/sleet cloud scattered 100ft, broken 400ft,from midnight untill 9am 40% probability of light snow, 40% isnt actually bad, in TAF's you either get PROB30 or PROB40, prob30 meaning unlikely to happen, prob40 likely to happen...

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Graupel is that stuff that looks like teeny little floaty hailstones? If so then we've had a bit of graupel here in North Dublin (D5). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

OMG - Ramp ahoy! See the radar whooooooooooooooooo, could be an interesting evening in Dublin!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

So jealous watching Saracens/Edinburgh and Chelsea/Arsenal playing under a steady flow of white gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Keith96

Oh my,thats a big steamer heading towards the east coast!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

Yes it is! Is it going to hold out I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Jesus christ I CANT TAKE THIS ANYMORE!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

the_very_best_of_the_success_kid_meme_Success-s513x339-302066-580.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

you sound like my wife:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭tomcosgrave

Just had a light shower of graupel in Dublin 13 / Dublin 17!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Taxedalot

I'm the same - neck is sore from constant sideways glances out the window. I give up on it, but then keep taking sneaky peeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

the tension is unbelievable. keep looking out my window to see if there's anything falling. nada. and it's freezing, that wind is biting :D:D

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    the tension is unbelievable. keep looking out my window to see if there's anything falling. nada. and it's freezing, that wind is biting :D:D

Follow the radar:

(http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp)

Precipitation moving into West Cork. It's not cold enough to fall as snow yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Dead_Rabbits

Phoenix from the Flames

Scandi High refuses to DIE

h500slpq.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

this is one very very slow system coming in from the west.

is there any snow coming from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Sleet this morning in Waterford. However, people speculating about snow for a whole week now. Mixed up confusion, everywhere I turn. The weather seems so changeable at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    this is one very very slow system coming in from the west.

is there any snow coming from it?

This is what we had expected, it's stalled and degrading and the upper level are not as cold as expected, however, never all bad news in the ramping thread, as night falls more of this may yet turn to snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Keith96 wrote: »
    Oh my,thats a big steamer heading towards the east coast!

At least you flushed it.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

Is it my imagination or are those streamers disappearing before they hit the East Coast?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Is it my imagination or are those streamers disappearing before they hit the East Coast?[/Q
    If you are looking at met eireann radar ,No its just the way the radar runs in 15min runs ,makes it look like that;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Seeing as its the ramping thread i have to point out the streamer heading for Dublin now,looks to be less than an hour away!!!A big blob that originated in the bay south of angelsea.Can i christen it "The Blob from the Bay"?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭partay pooper

Ok we know this spell of cold weather will be rather anemic. Whats the predictions for February? I hear whispers it's suppose to be severe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Wow the radar image is amazing for Dublin and Wicklow, echos of 2010 if temps stay low!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement