Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

##RAMPING THREAD##

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

The GFS is picking up a signal for a Greenland block in extreme FI, has been pretty consistent with it the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I rate this possibility at about 65% possible for the period 4 Feb to 10 Mar with the coldest "signal" from research in the middle third of February.

A dagger to the heart when you compare it to last weeks post
    I would rate the chances of significant snow and cold before mid-February at about 80 to 90 per cent

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Horrible weather in Drogheda rain rain rain.. Temp is 4 degrees :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Heavy rain in Cork all morning
    Typical, slightly milder aswell
    Could be some icy roads tonight if all this lot freezes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    The GFS is picking up a signal for a Greenland block in extreme FI, has been pretty consistent with it the last few days.

Noticed that as well, not so much a Greenland block but a strong signal in the ensemble runs for past couple of days for the Azores High to extend northward from around the 5th of February. That could of course lead to mild weather depending on how its oriented but interesting to see if anything comes of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

massive upgrade in the 12z at +6.

yes, things are that bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭partay pooper

massive upgrade in the 12z at +6.

yes, things are that bad!

in layman terms ......what has been upgraded?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

Good news for Coldies is that MTs forecast for february maybe bang on. WSI have NOW WARNED that February will be much colder than average in Nordic Regions and the U.K. FRIENDS ROMANS AND COUNTRYMEN WE MAY HAVE A VERY STRONG SCANDI HIGH DOMINATING DURING THE MONTH OF FEBRUARY.:eek: I love this ramping thread:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Ah no.

tumblr_m0qek9C9Kh1qbenaf.png

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

"peter out"

i like what you did there:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

Good news for Coldies is that MTs forecast for february maybe bang on. WSI have NOW WARNED that February will be much colder than average in Nordic Regions and the U.K. FRIENDS ROMANS AND COUNTRYMEN WE MAY HAVE A VERY STRONG SCANDI HIGH DOMINATING DURING THE MONTH OF FEBRUARY.:eek: I love this ramping thread:D

But did they mention a cold spell for Ireland?

As we've found out to our detriment once again over the past two weeks, Ireland and the UK can sometimes be miles apart weather wise and a cold spell for the UK (in particular England) does not guarantee a cold spell for Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Dead_Rabbits

compsys wrote: »

As we've found out to our detriment once again over the past two weeks, Ireland and the UK can sometimes be miles apart weather wise and a cold spell for the UK (in particular England) does not guarantee a cold spell for Ireland.

If we get a Greenland block and a cold North Easternly from it than the chances of a more entrenched cold over Ireland is greatly increased.

On the ECM model this evening the first tentative signs are there for the elusive Greenland block. All will be looking out for this over the coming days.

ecm1240a.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Just to repeat what I said in the cold thread,a scandi high brings easterly winds from mainland Europe not Scandinavia.

They can topple easily so what you really need kids Atlantic blocking positioned such that it steers winds in from the northeast.
    Low pressure in Scandinavia would be better then actually for snow with a high behind staying way up north of scoland.

If I could I would.

compsys wrote: »

True but hopefully it will, MT maybe onto something:)

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Dead_Rabbits

ecm1216q.gif

GET

in-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-2652.gif

THERE

ecm1240q.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

"and I am seeing tentative signs that the expected much colder period could develop rather rapidly even as early as these first three days of February." MT today.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Mr Bumble wrote: »
    "and I am seeing tentative signs that the expected much colder period could develop rather rapidly even as early as these first three days of February." MT today.....

I got excited too before I googled what tentative meant..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Since this is the ramping thread, FI 120 hours out on the ECM

ECM0-120.GIF?28-0

i'll take tentative and i'm still excited

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Mr Bumble wrote: »
    i'll take tentative and i'm still excited

I understand that the word "tentative" means not certain or not positive however I think what MT means by that word in the context of his forecast is that he is seeing emerging hints of the expected cold.

That is my take on it but then I tend to be a wee bit positive a lot of the time ;)

D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Whether he means rain or snow, I don't know. :D

weathercartoon.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

Whether he means rain or snow, I don't know. :D

weathercartoon.jpg

Oi!! This is the Ramping thread.
    ROMPING thread is that way -> -> -> :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

So sorry, took a wrong click. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I remain optimistic about the potential for cold and therefore snow in February (realizing that cold does not guarantee snow and UK cold does not guarantee Ireland to be cold, etc etc) ... would not expect models to catch all of potential developments for a day or two yet, as the heart of this cold spell from my research shows up around 10th to 15th which is a long time in weather model terms. The trend on the GFS has been generally promising but mostly a series of vague suggestions of a good feed of deep cold from a north through northeast origin. Anyway, I think the odds are good on this, but nothing at this stage of research development can be taken as a guarantee (naturally the mild parts of the forecast came to pass, there must be a law about that too).

Tentatively, I'd call it Sod's Law:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

I remain optimistic about the potential for cold and therefore snow in February (realizing that cold does not guarantee snow and UK cold does not guarantee Ireland to be cold, etc etc) ... would not expect models to catch all of potential developments for a day or two yet, as the heart of this cold spell from my research shows up around 10th to 15th which is a long time in weather model terms. The trend on the GFS has been generally promising but mostly a series of vague suggestions of a good feed of deep cold from a north through northeast origin. Anyway, I think the odds are good on this, but nothing at this stage of research development can be taken as a guarantee (naturally the mild parts of the forecast came to pass, there must be a law about that too).

Here we go again

eedwards_skijump.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Deank wrote: »
    Here we go again

eedwards_skijump.gif

In fairness to MT, I don't think he could be termed a ramper. If the truth be known, he is probably one of a handful of people on the weather boards that actually knows what he is talking about :D

So I would heed his predictions as they have proved to be very accurate in the past ;)

D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

derekon wrote: »

In fairness to MT, I don't think he could be termed a ramper. If the truth be known, he is probably one of a handful of people on the weather boards that actually knows what he is talking about :D

So I would heed his predictions as they have proved to be very accurate in the past ;)

D
    Oh I absolutely agree with you, but when MT mentions the "S" word this place erupts, this is the ramping thread afterall, a little ramping never hurt anyone.
    Now let the model watching and general madness begin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Classic, our Dublin man makes an appearance too !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement