Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

##RAMPING THREAD##

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Deank wrote: »
    Oh I absolutely agree with you, but when MT mentions the "S" word this place erupts, this is the ramping thread afterall, a little ramping never hurt anyone.
    Now let the model watching and general madness begin.

+1 ;)

Here, here Deank let the ramping begin!

I predict major snow storms over Ireland during February. Don't let the current mild spell fool ya! :D

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Oh I absolutely agree with you, but when MT mentions the "S" word this place erupts, this is the ramping thread afterall, a little ramping never hurt anyone.
    Now let the model watching and general madness begin.

It sure does. The optimism that comes with it knows no boundaries............

1233399362_flying-penguins---p3.gif

Its great to witness it all though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

It sure does. The optimism that comes with it knows no boundaries............

1233399362_flying-penguins---p3.gif

Its great to witness it all though!

Let's hope it doesn't end up like this though

1286532882_ramp-jump-fail.gif

and its a bit more like this:D

tumblr_mcejwi7TGu1r636zzo1_500.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

As long as the ride doesn't get too bumpy...

funny-gifs-rollercoaster-fun.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Fluffycloud

That's disgusting! Eeeeeeeeuh

• Advertisement

red_bairn wrote: »
    As long as the ride doesn't get too bumpy...

funny-gifs-rollercoaster-fun.gif
    Ah jaysus no

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Are we really doing this to ourselves again?

Check up from the neck up required all round I think.

Still feck it, naff all else to do in Feb and if it could wait till about 7pm on 14th that would be dead rosemantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Ah jaysus no

dear jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

I reckon it will S on the 5th February but of my snow predictions this Winter I have been wrong 6 times out of 8 so I will leave it to you guys. The two times I predicted snow for Sligo that were right one time it snowed in other parts of Ireland (does this count) and last week on 22nd it snowed for 52 minutes in Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

From M.T. daily forecast Wed :
    FURTHER OUTLOOK ... Models are trending towards severe wintry conditions and in fact the GEM model does have snow potential mid to late week, European model just about as severe, GFS wants to hold on to a more mixed pattern but still with some wintry days between slightly milder ones. Overall would now say that chances of a severe wintry episode are rising towards perhaps 70% for period 5-15 February (and possibly beyond).
    after a break of a week I'll be back to living in the weather forum for the rest of the week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

pauldry wrote: »
    I reckon it will S on the 5th February but of my snow predictions this Winter I have been wrong 6 times out of 8 so I will leave it to you guys. The two times I predicted snow for Sligo that were right one time it snowed in other parts of Ireland (does this count) and last week on 22nd it snowed for 52 minutes in Sligo
    snow is almost impossible to predict at sea level in Ireland, we saw that last week here in Dublin when the snow level was less than 100 meters, it might have even been 50 meters?
    I'm still a bit optimistic that we'll see another bout of blocking to the NE in Feb even though the charts at the moment have a look of winter 11-12 to them with that gruesome looking AzH. In December the block was just too far away to tap into, in Jan it was too weak, lets hope we get something in February.
    M.T.'s forecast is encouraging.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Rooy wrote: »
    From M.T. daily forecast Wed :

after a break of a week I'll be back to living in the weather forum for the rest of the week

Here we go again...

h8F9E97C4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Here we go again...]

Funny, that's exactly how I've always viewed the Weather forum. Nowadays I only get excited about the weather if it's outside my window.

Confab wrote: »
    Funny, that's exactly how I've always viewed the Weather forum. Nowadays I only get excited about the weather if it's outside my window.

I always saw it a bit more like this during extreme ramping:D

tumblr_mcijh6CRO91rjescfo1_400.gif

And these would be the Boardsie Cats:pac:

CatsonRollerCoaster.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Dead_Rabbits

25784545.gif

Best of luck Rampers!

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

sleeting like mad in Rathfarnham.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

This

Originally Posted by M.T. Cranium
    FURTHER OUTLOOK ... Models are trending towards severe wintry conditions and in fact the GEM model does have snow potential mid to late week, European model just about as severe, GFS wants to hold on to a more mixed pattern but still with some wintry days between slightly milder ones. Overall would now say that chances of a severe wintry episode are rising towards perhaps 70% for period 5-15 February (and possibly beyond).

+ this

gfs-1-138.png?6

=

lots-of-rabbits-colour.png

Get ready for the snow bunnies!

Oh they're (we're) here.;)

Just laying low for now:p

tumblr_mew9aanXxY1rrs512o1_500.gif

and having a sniff about:D

tumblr_mfgtx4J9Sk1s0kxy0o1_400.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The models actually seem to be quite in agreement that after a very mild (bordering on nice) weekend this weekend, there'll be a very sharp drop in temps - up to 10 degrees over a 24-hour period - but that drop too will only last 24-36 hours. Indications after that are a return to normal winter temps hovering in the low single digits, but that waaaaaaay out and impossible to say.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

there'll be a very sharp drop in temps - up to 10 degrees over a 24-hour period

That's not a sharp drop, compared to some places.

Visited a friend of ours in Colorado a few years ago in February, when we arrived, the temp at Denver airport was an unseasonal 70F, and it stayed that way by day for close on a week. That weekend, we collected a friend of ours from the airport, and again, it was 70F. There was obviously no snow at that level (6000 Ft above sea level), there was some on the tops of the Rockies around 12,000.

OVERNIGHT, in not much more than 12 hours, the weather changed, and when we woke up the following morning, the outside temperature was -(Yeah that's MINUS)20F, which is about -20C as well, so overnight, the temp had dropped by some 90F or 40C, and in the process, there'd also been close on 30 plus centimetres of snow, with so little wind, the snow had fallen and collected on places as strange as the 8 Cm wide 45 degree slope handrail of the outdoor steps that went from the house to the garage level.

This was at a little township called Morrison, at about 8000 Ft above sea level and 10 miles west of Denver, in the foothills of the Rockies. The services there are used to dealing with 30 Cm of Snow, so there were no problems getting around, despite the temperatures staying well below freezing by day and night for the next week.

We had some great fun over the next few days, especially on the snowmobiles that were available for hire in the winter park area, close to the continental divide. Lots of deep powdery snow and low humidity, much nicer than the usual snow scenario here.

Ahhhh memories :D:D

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

That sounds really nice.
    I often wonder if we will ever get a total whiteout here.
    Like 1947
    My dad often talks about the big freeze of the 60s

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

That's not a sharp drop, compared to some places.

But we're not here to compare it to some places. We're talking about Ireland. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Whatever about sharp drops, in the past 2 hours temperature has doubled here from 5 to 10c.

Geomy wrote: »
    That sounds really nice.
    I often wonder if we will ever get a total whiteout here.
    Like 1947
    My dad often talks about the big freeze of the 60s

In a place that's geared up to cope with it, no problem. In Ireland, a total whiteout would be a problem, in that the support services are just not there to deal with it in a sensible manner.

I can remember the big freeze of the 60's, we were living in the UK then, in Devon, and it froze on St Stephen's day, and snowed, and then stayed that way until March, even close to the coast, which would be unusual for that part of the world. I can still remember tobogganing down an ice and snow covered slope at a place called Sandy Bay, on the south Devon coast, and the person at the bottom who was meant to stop us didn't quite manage it, and the 2 of us ended up burying oursleves and the toboggan about 2 Ft into a bramble hedge on the edge of the ditch at the bottom of the hill. Didn't do any damage, but we very rapidly learnt to roll of the toboggan before hitting the hedge if the stopper missed us, with alkathene pipe on the runners, and the snow frozen as well, the speeds we were doing were frightening.

Significant snow was very close recently, I had to visit my father in Devon, and travelled back on the 21st, there was snow in Exeter over the weekend, but it thawed out relatively fast, then I got on the train on the Monday, there was snow on the ground 5 miles from Exeter, and it stayed that way from Exeter all the way to Holyhead, and in quite a few places, the covering was significant. I was surprised at how little there was here in comparison to only 60 miles away in the UK, but that's how things can be.

There are 2 sorts of "nice" snow, one is the really fine powdery stuff that only falls when it's colder, and that's nice, then the other sort is a significant blizzard of really big flakes, as long as it sticks and doesn't turn into an ice layer packed solid. I've also driven on many occasions in heavy snow being blown by strong winds, and that can be challenging.

If MT is even close with his thoughts, local factors can upset the overall effect. I've seen snow on the ground here in Ashbourne, and 2 miles away, it's rain.

We all saw how the Isle of Man caused pain to some and brought joy to others, and at times, the difference was 2 miles.

In some respects, a good covering of snow would be no bad thing, as it would help kill off some of the bugs that otherwise might survive the winter.

Time will tell, and nothing we say or do in here will make the slightest difference to the outcome, which is what makes it all so interesting and frustrating at the same time.

As I said to someone a while ago, I should have got a job as a weather forecaster, there's no other job where you can get it wrong and not be held responsible for the consequences.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    But we're not here to compare it to some places. We're talking about Ireland. :)

Very true, but we're entitled to a bit of entertainment while we wait for the inevitable (I hope;))

If we can't, then we're all taking ourselves way too seriously for our long term sanity:D

By the time Valentine's Day arrives, we're probably all going to be certifiable anyway, regardless of how it works out. :)

The next roller coaster departure will take place at the weekend, destination unknown:p

I'll have one ticket please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Anyone else think that Evelyn wasn't her usual self during that forecast??

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

esposito wrote: »
    Anyone else think that Evelyn wasn't her usual self during that forecast??
    Her head is fried trying to get the forecast from this thread:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

cyclops999 wrote: »
    Her head is fried trying to get the forecast from this thread:rolleyes:

Her head must have been fried already if she was trying to get the forecast from this thread of all places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Don't want to jinx it, but Lidl (Baldoyle, maybe others) are selling these off for €30. Come rain or shine I WILL use this between 5th-15th Feb, even if I've to purchase an air fare to Norway!

irlsnow.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement