Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

##RAMPING THREAD##

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

January 17th = Everyone on this forum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

January 17th = Everyone on this forum

January 14th is pretty accurate too!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Apart from the weather following, I must say that video is quite a bit of toss. Zooey Deschanel should be in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

12z gfs has thundersnow written all over it for early next week in the west and north.
    Bone dry probably East of a line from Athlone to Cork city.
    It looks,smells,walks,talks and screams to me like the type of shower activity that started the november snow of 2010 but this time it's for the west.
    Tonnes of snow from Donegal all the way down to west Cork.

Place to be ,probably letterkenny.The Radisson if it's still there is a nice hotel,if any snow starved Dubs want to head up.

Corkcityonians,need only head out the N22,I think it is and should meet the fun somewhere near Macroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Very deep low gfs T180 off the south of Greenland
    Jet is further west than this morning run,better run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

So how is the northeast ie Louth area going to fair out next week. Does anyone think we will see snow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Scotland have some snow falling at the min

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Lots of lovely polar air next Wednesday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,536 ✭✭✭droidman123

Scotland have some snow falling at the min
    I,m sure Iceland and Sweden and Norway has as well,we live in Ireland so what's your point that its snowing in Scotland????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Dead_Rabbits

ecm1240s.gif

47ab7eb8698a67db.gif

• Advertisement

Roger J Smith on Netweather

"This looks exceptionally promising for severe cold by the middle third of February.

The dive-bombing low on Tuesday will turn into a wintry hurricane for northern regions of the UK and in itself is a major severe weather event, but after a couple of days it will reach a position over central Europe that will allow a retrograde cycle just showing signs of life now to develop gradually and feed the coldest Siberian air west across northern Russia into Scandinavia.

I think there will be near-record cold in mid-February and that means daily means in the -5 to -10 C range, so a very severe frost and with a northeast flow there may be heavy snowfalls even without any organized low pressure, but this winter also has shown a tendency to storminess so I have the feeling once this very cold air starts moving in, there could be epic snowfalls with it.

The eastern Canadian vortex from my research can be expected to last about a week then start to drift northwest to become another part of the hemispheric retrograde cycle. Heights will then build over central-eastern North America and they could go from the current cold pattern to very mild in about ten days to two weeks.

I think it's coming anyway, and this storm on Tuesday is the pattern changer much as there was a severe windstorm around 1 Feb 1969 although that was more of a straight northerly blast. But the temperature signal from very mild to very cold is similar, and don't forget that also happened (a bit earlier in late January) in 1947."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

I,m sure Iceland and Sweden and Norway has as well,we live in Ireland so what's your point that its snowing in Scotland????

I'll take this one...firstly this is a ramping thread and secondly Scotland is closer to home than Iceland, Sweden and Norway. We are all a little excited about next week, I know I nearly wet myself earlier, so lay off the inquisition droid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,536 ✭✭✭droidman123

Red Pepper wrote: »

I'll take this one...firstly this is a ramping thread and secondly Scotland is closer to home then Iceland, Sweden and Norway. We are all a little excited about next week, I know I nearly wet myself earlier, so lay off the inquisition droid.
    Ok fair enough....oh btw its snowing in finland.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭rickdangerouss

"This looks exceptionally promising for severe cold by the middle third of February.

The dive-bombing low on Tuesday will turn into a wintry hurricane for northern regions of the UK and in itself is a major severe weather event, but after a couple of days it will reach a position over central Europe that will allow a retrograde cycle just showing signs of life now to develop gradually and feed the coldest Siberian air west across northern Russia into Scandinavia.

I think there will be near-record cold in mid-February and that means daily means in the -5 to -10 C range, so a very severe frost and with a northeast flow there may be heavy snowfalls even without any organized low pressure, but this winter also has shown a tendency to storminess so I have the feeling once this very cold air starts moving in, there could be epic snowfalls with it.

The eastern Canadian vortex from my research can be expected to last about a week then start to drift northwest to become another part of the hemispheric retrograde cycle. Heights will then build over central-eastern North America and they could go from the current cold pattern to very mild in about ten days to two weeks.

I think it's coming anyway, and this storm on Tuesday is the pattern changer much as there was a severe windstorm around 1 Feb 1969 although that was more of a straight northerly blast. But the temperature signal from very mild to very cold is similar, and don't forget that also happened (a bit earlier in late January) in 1947."

Thanks to Dead_Rabbits for the update. MT, you sir are the king of ramp builders. :)

arnold_not_sure_if_serious_gif.gif

Hope all is safe and have some fun if this does happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

I'll take this one...firstly this is a ramping thread and secondly Scotland is closer to home then Iceland, Sweden and Norway. We are all a little excited about next week, I know I nearly wet myself earlier, so lay off the inquisition droid.
    Bravo, I tip my hat to you for that respose. Ramp, ramp, ramp.....

• Registered Users Posts: 32 DanRu

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

"

rKoFSSC.gif

Malin Head is closer to John O Groats than it is to Mizen head ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

I'll take this one...firstly this is a ramping thread and secondly Scotland is closer to home than Iceland, Sweden and Norway. We are all a little excited about next week, I know I nearly wet myself earlier, so lay off the inquisition droid.
    That all depends where you live ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Nothing much happening, but I got a temp of 2.0 and a DP of -0.3. If things were different, it might be snowing. ;)

Just sayin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

Pangea wrote: »
    rKoFSSC.gif
    Lets hope your right Love your avatar:D

gfs0348.png

nicolas-cage-feel-good-man-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-188.gif

Met.ies latest forecast looking very good. Just missing the word Blizzard

General : Very cold and very windy for the first half of next week. Frequent showers also, some heavy and thundery, with some falls of snow in places.

Detail : Rain for a time on Sunday night, but this will give way to clear spells and occasional rain or hail showers later. Cold and windy, lowest temperatures 2 to 4 C., in strong and gusty westerly winds, with frost in places at dawn.
    Monday will be a cold, windy day, with strong and blustery west to northwest winds. Gusts of 90 to 110 km/h are likely - strongest along Atlantic coasts and in exposed places elsewhere. Some bright or sunny spells, but frequent showers also, many heavy and some with hail and thunder. Some may also turn more wintry in the west and north, late in the day. It will stay extremely windy and blustery overnight on Monday, with showers turning fairly readily to sleet and snow. A frosty night, with icy patches, despite the wind and deposits of snow can be expected.
    It will remain cold and very windy on Tuesday with stiff, blustery northwesterly winds, giving some severe gusts in places. A few bright or sunny spells, but further heavy and possibly thundery showers too, with some further showers of hail, sleet and snow at times. Very cold and frosty overnight with widespread ice.
    Wednesday will remain cold, but will be drier overall, as showers should be more scattered and lighter too. Blustery early on, with gusty northwest to northerly winds, but these are expected to moderate late in the day. Very cold and icy overnight.

Funny looking back to start of the week when MT seemed to pull the snow forecast out of his hat so to speak, and now to see Met Eireann issuing a forecast like that. I tip my snowy hat to you sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

could we see polar lows - the holy grail of snow lovers, next week?
    probably not, the airflow is unlikely to be cold enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Little fat bird going to eat us up with -8 (we wish!)

gfs-1-72.png?0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

& the ECM is up for it!

UW72-7.GIF?02-04

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The cold pool developing is good, what's perhaps needed is a stronger northeast gradient than some maps are showing by late in the week. I think the current model situation is about what you might expect a week to ten days in advance of a severe outbreak, so this is not meant to downgrade any potential ramping. If you can't ramp this, you just can't ramp at all.

The cold pool developing is good, what's perhaps needed is a stronger northeast gradient than some maps are showing by late in the week. I think the current model situation is about what you might expect a week to ten days in advance of a severe outbreak, so this is not meant to downgrade any potential ramping. If you can't ramp this, you just can't ramp at all.

That sounds like a challenge! Gonna ramp this one down to the last frozen worm!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

There is definite feeling of once bitten twice shy around here at the moment. If the charts of the last few days had appeared back in Nov this place would be hopping. MT is onboard the charts are looking more promising each run but the crowds are reluctant to believe

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement