Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

##RAMPING THREAD##

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Steopo wrote: »
    There is definite feeling of once bitten twice shy around here at the moment. If the charts of the last few days had appeared back in Nov this place would be hopping. MT is onboard the charts are looking more promising each run but the crowds are reluctant to believe
    It certainly seems to be the case alright. Prepare for an onslaught during the weekend me thinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

People are rightly cautious. Widespread sticking snow at low levels is what most people are looking for. That potential is not very evident in the numerical models output yet, at least not for Ireland, apart from the latter stages of the ECM, and even here it is a very fragile setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Will the east coast get the white stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Well, for this mid part of the midlands, the coming setup is the best for good snowfall, if it happens. Showers get right down here on a strong NWly and there is always a good chance of small polar lows forming giving longer spells of snow. Late December 2000 is a good example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Dead_Rabbits

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Do you get rain showers in a strong northwesterly? If the answer is yes,then snow showers are no different.
    It won't be like a n easterly for you though as showers will have weakened as they cross land.

Lepordstown races have been called off once in recent years due to 2 inches of northwesterly snow showers,but that is rare.
    If heavy showers get through to the Dublin area,and they might,then you may get slome lying snow from them.
    West and north is best though and there's a regular bus service to Letterkenny,I'd get up there before the roads close ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

I think I'm bang in the middle of the path of these nw'erlies but unfortunately right on the shoreline so chances of sticking snow are always slim for me. Would settle for a nice view across Donegal bay of snow capped Bluestacks though!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

The east coast and the Dublin area are unlikely to get much from a northerly, it usually brings dazzling sunshine with huge Cnb clouds moving down the Irish Sea so good for cloud watching at least in crystal clear visibility that a northerly brings.
    If I lived in inland Ulster, especially the Tyrone / Omagh area I would keep a shovel near the back door just in case!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Aaaaaand Monday....

uksnowrisk.png

Tuam snow shield in effect here too

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

STAY IN THE HOLE RODENT!!!

He's made his prediction. Early spring!

http://news.eircom.net/breakingnews/20980588/?view=Standard

But.....that's for the US.....that means it could be good for us! ;)

• Advertisement

if Candlemas day be fair and bright, winter will have another fight
    - so says an ancient weather lore which is basically saying there's a lot of winter left even if early Feb can appear springlike like today.
    Candlemas is an ancient pre Christian festival of light which falls roughly halfway between the winter solstice and the spring equinox, from now on the rate of daylight accelerates rapidly.

http://projectbritain.com/year/candlemas.html

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

It is very quiet here today on the boards.ie.Is this the calm before the storm?

It is very quiet here today on the boards.ie.Is this the calm before the storm?

Would be a different story if the Wind was coming from the East i.e the Dub Squad ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭osheen

Pangea wrote: »

Would be a different story if the Wind was coming from the East i.e the Dub Squad ;)

Funny that for a couple of weeks everyone was moaning about east coast getting the snow and all the dub snow bunnies.
    Now the north south and west are due to get some and they all disapear- must be waiting for their own north/west/south threads.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Pangea wrote: »

NIMBY :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Graupel

ECM at +192 is going to be epic.

EDIT: :)

11szi12.gif

ECM and GFS like chalk and cheese as they say.....
    the farming forecast for the week ahead should be interesting viewing at lunchtime tomorrow.

osheen wrote: »
    Funny that for a couple of weeks everyone was moaning about east coast getting the snow and all the dub snow bunnies.
    Now the north south and west are due to get some and they all disapear- must be waiting for their own north/west/south threads.

East coast didnt get all of the snow a few weeks ago, its was distributed amongst the mountains pretty much everywhere, apart from Co. Antrim and Co.Down getting pasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

The ECM solution is fantastic though !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Graupel

Pretty epic stuff in ECM FI tonight

Only over a week away! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Could winter bite back! Maybe this the least hyped potential cold spell will do the job!

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

osheen wrote: »

Just more realistic.Don't get orgasmic over one sleet shower!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Could winter bite back! Maybe this the least hyped potential cold spell will do the job!

I want that ECM sooo bad, it better not break my heart !!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

ECM is cold right the way through...nice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

ECM has shown easterlies that did not materialise this winter already, I will start believing once I see model agreement and epic charts at T+96. MTs forecast gives great hope though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Fair play to M.T he called this cold spell even in early December. And now looks like he was bang on the money. I think he deserves a pat on the back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Darwin wrote: »
    ECM has shown easterlies that did not materialise this winter already, I will start believing once I see model agreement and epic charts at T+96. MTs forecast gives great hope though!
    +1 to this,remember the epic run from the ECM in December

Fair play to M.T he called this cold spell even in early December. And now looks like he was bang on the money. I think he deserves a pat on the back

Has not happened yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

While ECM shows increasing potential for a good cold snap one should remember this is something just showing in a computer programme. It's not real just a prediction of what might happen. Prudent maybe to keep the champers on ice ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

If this cold spell that MT has predicted comes to pass, it will be hats off to him. In fairness he was only a few hundred miles out with last winters one

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement