Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

##RAMPING THREAD##

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

If this cold spell that MT has predicted comes to pass, it will be hats off to him. In fairness he was only a few hundred miles out with last winters one

He calls it right more times than not, and when he doesn't he's not far off in mileage terms, also when he does get it wrong he's the first one to hold his hands up and admit he got it wrong.
    The man is a forecasting legend, why he hasn't been snapped up by one of the big new networks a mystery, or perhaps money is not his motivation, the love of nature and this planets fu€ked up weather is the driving force behind him.
    Anyway I tip my hat to him every morning when I read his forecasts:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Dead_Rabbits

Graupel wrote: »
    ECM at +192 is going to be epic.

EDIT: :)

11szi12.gif

oh_wut_gif.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

again, i'll believe it when i see it.

oh_wut_gif.gif

This boy can't wait to get stuck in:D

Snow-Dog-Ball.gif

sunbabe08 wrote: »

clint-eastwood-cannot-unsee-what-has-been-seen-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-174.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

likewise, bit of craic all the same.

You saw the August hurricane from a caravan Youghal, why not wish for a white out for the whole country witnessed from the comfort of your home with the fire blazing and 3 foot of snow outside;)

Deank wrote: »
    You saw the August hurricane from a caravan Youghal, why not wish for a white out for the whole country witnessed from the comfort of your home with the fire blazing and 3 foot of snow outside;)

that's true. ok, bring on the white out!!!!

that's true. ok, bring on the white out!!!!

Just in case you forgot about it, if we get snow anything like that storm / hurricane I'll be very happy....:D

Just in case you forgot about it, if we get snow anything like that storm / hurricane I'll be very happy....:D

oh i haven't forget, i have my own videos for proof. just amazing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

osheen wrote: »
    Funny that for a couple of weeks everyone was moaning about east coast getting the snow and all the dub snow bunnies.
    Now the north south and west are due to get some and they all disapear- must be waiting for their own north/west/south threads.

Oh I would say that people are busy getting prepared.... you know.... polishing the lamp posts, stocking up on fuel, thermal proofing wellies, getting in extra bird food for our feathered friends.... drawing up igloo plans.. like this one for example...

oh i haven't forget, i have my own videos for proof. just amazing

If we get snow with the intensity of that storm we'l all be happy

eskimocat wrote: »
    Oh I would say that people are busy getting prepared.... you know.... polishing the lamp posts, stocking up on fuel, thermal proofing wellies, getting in extra bird food for our feathered friends.... drawing up igloo plans.. like this one for example...

I ran out and bought 10 bars of cooking lard to wax me outhouse toilet seat!

I ran out and bought 10 bars of cooking lard to wax me outhouse toilet seat!

tumblr_lxng8fVzpU1qljeo2o1_500.gif

And this is what we will all be doing from tomorrow night.....;):D

popcorn_gif_by_zombiejosette.gif?w=275&h=210

If we get snow with the intensity of that storm we'l all be happy

i would be in heaven. i could barely stand, that wind was strong

i would be in heaven. i could barely stand, that wind was strong

Well according to the forecasts and the god that is MT, we're going to get an epic N/W erly flowing event, which if combined with a polar low could be utterly epic, here's hoping.;)

Well according to the forecasts and the god that is MT, we're going to get an epic N/W erly flowing event, which if combined with a polar low could be utterly epic, here's hoping.;)

seriously if this is another case of the cold weather stopping at the cork border, while the rest of the country is under blizzards, i'll be very upset :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Think people are going well over the top again, its a cool north westerly that'll feel bitter in the wind but as far as any snow goes it'll be mainly limited to north & west coastal counties with no guarantee of anything lying at lower levels. I'd be surprised if its on the same scale as we've seen over the past week but it should be an interesting couple of days for Donegal and the NW, don't know much about polar low/comma development but its always good fun to see features suddenly develop on satellite

It does look like we're in for a more prolonged below average spell now as well, ECMWF has been hinting at it all week and although GFS has refused to budge, the Op run its pretty much on its own now with the vast majority of runs keeping colder air over the country for the foreseeable future. Nothing too interesting but for those who enjoy cold weather its probably good news

graphe_ens3_quf9.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

seriously if this is another case of the cold weather stopping at the cork border, while the rest of the country is under blizzards, i'll be very upset :(
    Sorry sunbabe but I laughed when I read this post as it reminded me of something I read in the book: Ireland's Arctic Siege 1947
    The blizzard of the century struck Ireland on February 25th 1947 and heres how The Irish Times described the weather in Cork:
    .... Cork City enjoyed springlike weather, fine and dry with occasional sunshine. The temperature was 47 degrees (8c) , the blizzard did not touch the city....
    The book describes how three Cork TDs set off by car on Feb 25th to get to the Dail in Dublin but only got as far as Cahir when they got stuck in the blizzard.

• Advertisement

Harps wrote: »
    Think people are going well over the top again

Wrong thread Harps :D
    If you can't ramp this, you just can't ramp at all.

Sorry sunbabe but I laughed when I read this post as it reminded me of something I read in the book: Ireland's Arctic Siege 1947
    The blizzard of the century struck Ireland on February 25th 1947 and heres how The Irish Times described the weather in Cork:
    .... Cork City enjoyed springlike weather, fine and dry with occasional sunshine. The temperature was 47 degrees (8c) , the blizzard did not touch the city....
    The book describes how three Cork TDs set off by car on Feb 25th to get to the Dail in Dublin but only got as far as Cahir when they got stuck in the blizzard.

ahhh so, it's a normal occurrence:rolleyes: cork snow shield in full force back then as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Harps wrote: »
    Think people are going well over the top again, its a cool north westerly that'll feel bitter in the wind but as far as any snow goes it'll be mainly limited to north & west coastal counties with no guarantee of anything lying at lower levels. I'd be surprised if its on the same scale as we've seen over the past week but it should be an interesting couple of days for Donegal and the NW, don't know much about polar low/comma development but its always good fun to see features suddenly develop on satellite

It does look like we're in for a more prolonged below average spell now as well, ECMWF has been hinting at it all week and although GFS has refused to budge, the Op run its pretty much on its own now with the vast majority of runs keeping colder air over the country for the foreseeable future. Nothing too interesting but for those who enjoy cold weather its probably good news

graphe_ens3_quf9.gif

Harps I am getting a bit worried about you... your first sentence seemed very unenthusiastic :(... considering after all this is the ramping thread. :eek:....and then on the bottom of your post you have a chart showing 100% chance of snow.... !! ;):D:D:D the two things just don't compute. Am I getting you mixed up with someone else who used to enjoy a good auld ramp every now and again....or has the roller coaster jiggled you about a bit too much recently?

Pangea wrote: »
    Wrong thread Harps :D

Indeed it is, just trying to keep the hype in check before the inevitable backlash when nothing happens for half the country! Should be interesting up your way anyway, strong winds and squally wintry showers are a given and you always seem to do well when there's lightning about

eskimocat wrote: »
    Harps I am getting a bit worried about you... your first sentence seemed very unenthusiastic :(... considering after all this is the ramping thread. :eek:....and then on the bottom of your post you have a chart showing 100% chance of snow.... !! ;):D:D:D the two things just don't compute. Am I getting you mixed up with someone else who used to enjoy a good auld ramp every now and again....or has the roller coaster jiggled you about a bit too much recently?

Just responding to posts mentioning utterly epic blizzards and the like, its an interesting setup but unless you're planning on spending the day on top of Errigal I wouldn't be expecting anything along those lines! It is an interesting setup and one I'm looking forward to but just trying to be realistic.

Those GFS snow charts are next to useless but 100% snow chance is hard to argue with, Su was always the man to forecast the snow level and I'm not even going to attempt that but I'd hope a few on here will see something lying by Tuesday evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

By the way Harps it is not a cool northwesterly. It's cold full stop and one of the parameters needed for the breeding of Polar Lows.
    Not saying one will develop but calling this cool when it's not is just misleading.

Imby strikes again I see.

-40 is not an every day occurrence around this Isle .

POLAR LOW - KEY PARAMETERS

Deep convection is indicative of a Polar Low. This deep convection is caused by very cold arctic air overrunning relatively warm sea. At 500 hPa this air more or less keeps its original temperature. From the statistical analysis and the literature a temperature of -40°C or less at 500 hPa (T500=< 40°C) is a good threshold value for the triggering of Polar Low development.

http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/wmovl/vrl/tutorials/satmanu-eumetsat/satmanu/cms/pl/key.htm

Redsunset wrote: »
    By the way Harps it is not a cool northwesterly. It's cold full stop and one of the parameters needed for the breeding of Polar Lows.
    Not saying one will develop but calling this cool when it's not is just misleading.

Imby strikes again I see.

-40 is not an every day occurrence around this Isle .

POLAR LOW - KEY PARAMETERS

Deep convection is indicative of a Polar Low. This deep convection is caused by very cold arctic air overrunning relatively warm sea. At 500 hPa this air more or less keeps its original temperature. From the statistical analysis and the literature a temperature of -40°C or less at 500 hPa (T500=< 40°C) is a good threshold value for the triggering of Polar Low development.

http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/wmovl/vrl/tutorials/satmanu-eumetsat/satmanu/cms/pl/key.htm

Thanks for that, as I said I know next to nothing about polar lows so a bit of reading for the morning. By cool, I meant the actual air temps over the country which, going by models will be about 2-4C by day, wind chill should then make it feel a lot colder obviously. The airmass itself does look very cold for Atlantic sourced air

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Would be a different story if the Wind was coming from the East i.e the Dub Squad ;)
    not at all. I'm hoping for a decent spell of wintry weather and if the north and west can achieve the Holy Grail aka a polar low then I'd be delighted.:)

not at all. I'm hoping for a decent spell of wintry weather and if the north and west can achieve the Holy Grail aka a polar low then I'd be delighted.:)

What I meant was that the forum would be a lot busier if this was heading straight for Dublin (naturally enough population wise). A quiet forum around potential snowy weather probably bodes well for us living in the north and west.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

What I meant was that the forum would be a lot busier if this was heading straight for Dublin (naturally enough population wise). A quiet forum around potential snowy weather probably bodes well for us living in the north and west.
    As long as us Dublin folk get to see the pics Pangea ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement