Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

##RAMPING THREAD##

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Yeah I was surprised at that given his previous forecasts. I thought the models this morning were more in favour of a potential cold outbreak. Still all to play for but we might again be that bit too far west.[/Quote

Yeah same as,I personally didn't get a chance to see the models but got the impression reading through various forums they looked kinder.
    A lot can change from day to day in weather so I wouldn't call it the be all and end all just yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Indeed, dare I say it looks very similar to last February, too far west. Its February and I still haven't seen snow on lower levels, time is ticking fast. Certainly not looking anything like 47 at this stage, at least for a sustained spell, which was suggested at times.
    Mts percentages for severe cold have reduced a lot the closer we come to the suggested time frame for cold. Last month he rated our chances at 80 to 90 % now only 50% to 60% with East England getting 80%. Doesn't sound good at all. Bring on the short lived high winds and snow showers tonight. Its been a long winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Wouldn't it be great to see people saying 99.9% snow for Ireland for the next 3 days and make us all happy.

Not looking good going by met e

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Pangea wrote: »
    Indeed, dare I say it looks very similar to last February, too far west. Its February and I still haven't seen snow on lower levels, time is ticking fast. Certainly not looking anything like 47 at this stage, at least for a sustained spell, which was suggested at times.
    Mts percentages for severe cold have reduced a lot the closer we come to the suggested time frame for cold. Last month he rated our chances at 80 to 90 % now only 50% to 60% with East England getting 80%. Doesn't sound good at all. Bring on the short lived high winds and snow showers tonight. Its been a long winter.

I know he (or rather someone called Roger J Smith, ahem) was being criticised on the netweather site for for bullish predictions. I wonder if he's decided to temper them in response? Sensible if he has. We all know at this stage that he has predicted an epic Feb since last Autumn. Doesn't have to reaffirm that prediction on a daily basis.

On the basis of the models you would indeed have expected an upgrade from him today, not a downgrade of prospects of snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

In the long term all I can see from the models is a repeat of the battleground scenario of a few weeks ago that was so painful to watch. We might be a bit luckier this time. Certainly haven't seen anything to get me excited tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

I'm going to ramp, it's going to be epic come this time next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

I see that The Star newspaper is jumping on the ramp by quoting our M.T.

239440.png

Just so new folk are aware. Peter O donnell is M.T Cranium. As is Roger J Smith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Exact same story was in a local paper too

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

TLDR, when is the snow arriving in Dublin? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Don't be so lazy. I'm not telling you. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Redsunset wrote: »

239440.png

Just so new folk are aware. Peter O donnell is M.T Cranium. As is Roger J Smith.

FYP

RAMP_zps91b55a35.jpg

I know I shouldnt ask this for fear of annoying people and possibly disappointing myself but.......

......whats the likelihood of South coastal Wexford a turn of snow this time round?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Redsunset wrote: »

239440.png

I said Ooh Aah Paul McGrath, I said Ooh Aah Paul McGrath!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Showers racing across the country on the rainfall radar at the moment, on the basis of a forecast increase in wind speeds I'd say there is a good chance that showers will make it as far as the east coast including Dublin overnight.

Whether these will be snow showers is the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Dead_Rabbits

irish1967 wrote: »
    FYP

RAMP_zps91b55a35.jpg

cannot-unsee-what-has-been-seen-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-294.gif

I have been "HUNTING" the cold ALL winter and NOW when my wife is due with our second child any day now this happens! She has been warned that I cannot be relied on if it s a toss up between a day out on the sleigh or a day in a labour ward!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Waterford to miss out again yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭Speak Now

jo06555 wrote: »

Yes :D

I guess Wexford then too?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

cannot-unsee-what-has-been-seen-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-294.gif

I have been "HUNTING" the cold ALL winter and NOW when my wife is due with our second child any day now this happens! She has been warned that I cannot be relied on if it s a toss up between a day out on the sleigh or a day in a labour ward!

um, considering it's your 2nd, you might get away with that. although miss the birth, eeek.

cork as well. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nothing to see here as usual. Its going to be standard winter chilly and that only because of the wind direction/speed.

TheTorment wrote: »
    I guess Wexford then too?

Afraid so!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

although according to accu weather, snow is coming well it's mixed with rain, but it might turn to full snow

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Oh I think I will just CRY if we don't get anything!

Have spent all winter on Boards

Have mouse wrist from all the refreshing, scanning, flipping from thread to thread

Have serious snow withdrawal symptoms - constantly watching webcams of falling snow elsewhere, dreaming of the Arctic, rushing to watch the lamp-post in the evenings etc etc.

Wah wah!

Need SNOW!

Anyone else feel remotely the same?

Oh I think I will just CRY if we don't get anything!

Have spent all winter on Boards

Have mouse wrist from all the refreshing, scanning, flipping from thread to thread

Have serious snow withdrawal symptoms - constantly watching webcams of falling snow elsewhere, dreaming of the Arctic, rushing to watch the lamp-post in the evenings etc etc.

Wah wah!

Need SNOW!

Anyone else feel remotely the same?

It's like u read my mind. And I thought I was the only one sad person who even looks out the window during the nite on the way back from a pee :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Taught so :) wlr fm were warning of severe weather alert this morning for waterford and guy from met eireann came on saying waterford /tip border could possibly see snow overnight???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Likely to get me banned, but here goes. I'm disappointed in MT, not for getting a forecast wrong(could be right yet!), but for the OTT ramping, followed by a gradual step by step climb down. We've gone from 90% confidence in a severe cold spell, back to 60, and reading between the lines of this morning forecast, it's now back to 30%. Nothing could have 90% probability a month out in our atmosphere.

I was also dissapointed that we were constantly told that the cold is coming from the east/northeast, with no real explanation of what synoptics will do this, and why he thinks these synoptics will set up. I'm sorry but 'research suggests' is just to vague for me. How many times have we seen Vogan and Madden lambasted on here for making long range forecasts without putting their reasoning up front. I know MT has been much more successful than those guys, but that's not my point.

This post might seem premature, but I don't have an issue with the accuracy, or inaccuracy which unfortunately may be the case.

Not looking great. Met e basically saying it will probably snow later tonight but tomorrow it will turn to rain. I thought Tuesday was ment to be the coldest day this week. This weather watching would turn a man to drink

Taught so :) wlr fm were warning of severe weather alert this morning for waterford and guy from met eireann came on saying waterford /tip border could possibly see snow overnight???

Yeah possibly covers it I guess. A chance some showers could reach us down here and GFS 06 shows showers popping up anywhere but i wont be staying up all night for the chance of a few stray showers. At least the Comeraghs will be white in the morning if they reach us ;)

prectypeuktopo.png

• Advertisement

Not looking great. Met e basically saying it will probably snow later tonight but tomorrow it will turn to rain. I thought Tuesday was ment to be the coldest day this week. This weather watching would turn a man to drink

Maybe it will be the coldest day this week, just not cold enough for day time snow. The real cold for next couple of days will be the wind chill.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement