Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

##RAMPING THREAD##

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Look at the monster storm over the east coast of the US at the minute, would love some of that action.:D
    rtr3dhfn-1-942x530.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

DOCARCH wrote: »

I'll take that! Cheers! :p
    yeah,I used live in Broadford rise near marlay park in the 80's and saw the snow line do a merry dance in situations like this many times eg sleety rain Ucd-sleety wet snow Dundrum-Full dry snow Ballinteer superquinn.
    Hope it works out for you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Here's hoping this will come back:D
    240093.JPG
    7.30am on the run up to Knock Airport
    240094.jpg
    8.00am 6miles south of Knock Airport (He had passed me out 15mins before hand flying :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Met office snow warning for NI on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Redsunset wrote: »
    Met Éireann highlighting the uncertainty however a good mention of risk.

"Temperatures will drop further on Sunday night and there'll be a significant risk of snow, especially over Ulster and Leinster"

Somewhere in Leinster Monday morning?:D
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9bSUDNCcNFwQCYvmI8VfIxEH209NfXzStiokcWhvrxkMSKtJZ
    Don't forget east munster as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Here's hoping this will come back:D
    240093.JPG
    7.30am on the run up to Knock Airport
    240094.jpg
    8.00am 6miles south of Knock Airport (He had passed me out 15mins before hand flying :) )

Didn't do a very good job of the landing :D Looking at the tyre track he got caught by a crosswind;);)

I hope they make him pay for the repairs to the fence and the signs :D

Seriously for a moment, I'm not sure that could or should be classified as an accident, there are a number of possible reasons, and most of them come down to the driver not having a clue how to manage the situation, and I'm not sure that I am happy that my insurance premium is now at risk of going up ever so slightly to cover that level of ignorance by the driver.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Didn't do a very good job of the landing :D Looking at the tyre track he got caught by a crosswind;);)

I hope they make him pay for the repairs to the fence and the signs :D

Seriously for a moment, I'm not sure that could or should be classified as an accident, there are a number of possible reasons, and most of them come down to the driver not having a clue how to manage the situation, and I'm not sure that I am happy that my insurance premium is now at risk of going up ever so slightly to cover that level of ignorance by the driver.

Its rear-wheel-drive, a disaster in lying snow situations. I still remember being behind a Mercedes on a slight incline in South Dublin during one of the recent bad winters and he had no traction and just stopped as everyone else was getting around quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

544655_540383922659161_236980019_n.jpg

Taken after a building fire in Chicago, looks pretty cool if you excuse the pun!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

the first post in the ramping thread for almost four hours!
    something is telling me that confidence is low for this "event" :rolleyes:
    Still, some anticyclonic blue skies and frosty mornings (I hope!) will be welcome after an extremely dull January

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

iDwRP5KE91zR3.gif

• Advertisement

OUTLOOK: Very cold for the early days of next week with some wintry outbreaks, icy stretches and some severe frosts.
    TOMORROW, SUNDAY NIGHT: Cold with wintry outbreaks, some snow accumulations too - all areas at risk, except perhaps west Connacht and west Munster. Lowest temperatures -1 to +1 degrees, with some frost and the risk of some icy stretches. Winds will be light to moderate in strength and northerly in direction.
    MONDAY: Overall a lot of dry weather with some sunny spells. However eastern counties will remain at risk of further wintry flurries with onshore winds here; rain and drizzle at times too in the west of Connacht and the west of Munster. Highest temperatures just 3 to 7 degree Celsius, coldest in the north and northeast. Winds will be mostly light northerly. Some well scattered wintry showers overnight, with a sharp to severe frost, icy stretches and some freezing fog. Lowest temperatures -1 to -5 degrees Celsius.
    TUESDAY: Extremely frosty to begin - most areas dry with sunny spells and light variable breezes. However the north and east may see a few snow showers first thing. Very cold, with highest temperatures generally just 4 degrees Celsius, possibly rising to 7 degrees in Kerry.
    WEDNESDAY: A cold and very frosty start in many areas. Soon clouding over with freshening southerly breezes. Outbreaks of rain will move in across the western half of the country through the morning and afternoon, extending eastwards later, and turning to sleet and snow for a time across the midlands and north. Highest temperatures will range just 5 degrees Celsius across much of the north midlands, east and north, generally 7 to 9 degrees Celsius elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Dead_Rabbits

Rougies wrote: »
    iDwRP5KE91zR3.gif

Watch-Out-We-Got-A-Badass-Over-Here-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-243.gif

bahaha deadrabbits,can u link me that link
    I have to link it to a certain Llama I know

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Weathering wrote: »
    bahaha deadrabbits,can u link me that link
    I have to link it to a certain Llama I know

Erm....

http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/what/grand/Watch-Out-We-Got-A-Badass-Over-Here-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-243.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

comic-no-snow.jpg?uuid=0P7ofk-fEeKVCnhjoBMmSw

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

another fail??? or just a poor ramp??

http://gifs.gifbin.com/102009/1255084444_ramp-fail.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

gerry1.gif

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Not looking great on met e web site at the mo looks like Sunday nite into Monday is our last chance of some snow. Probably a short lived event like the other day. Better than nothing I suppose. That's if it happens

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Disappointing does not sum it up.

After weeks of frankly draining model watching, it looks like Sunday/Monday will just be rain with spot flooding.

Met Eireann (who have been spot on this winter) forecast mild conditions from mid week onwards with temperatures of 9-11oC.

Common sense is telling me that with no severe cold in Europe to tap into, there isn't a decent chance of good snow cover for Ireland. I just don't see it happening. :(

Easily the most disappointing winter of the past decade in terms of reality versus what was predicted. Hopefully 2013/2014 will prove more fruitful for snow lovers but given our location at the end of the jet stream, I would not bet on it.

D

Not as bad as last winter as for snow but I mean comparing it to last winter isn't saying much for it either. This winter is bad for sure. Maybe next winter will be better

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Change of name from ramping to damping thread needed. Not much chance if any lengthy severe winter weather now. Azores high is the killer this month.You may still get the one or two day wintery wonders but time to think about spring now.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

derekon wrote: »
    Disappointing does not sum it up.

After weeks of frankly draining model watching, it looks like Sunday/Monday will just be rain with spot flooding.

Met Eireann (who have been spot on this winter) forecast mild conditions from mid week onwards with temperatures of 9-11oC.

Common sense is telling me that with no severe cold in Europe to tap into, there isn't a decent chance of good snow cover for Ireland. I just don't see it happening. :(

Easily the most disappointing winter of the past decade in terms of reality versus what was predicted. Hopefully 2013/2014 will prove more fruitful for snow lovers but given our location at the end of the jet stream, I would not bet on it.

D

It wasnt a total write off for me , We had a few cms of lying snow in Cork twice this year , albeit for a few hours each , kids got great excitment out of it and got a few snowmen up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Hang in there lads. All this talk of calling it. It's weather, there is nothing to call. Our seasons are muted by the Jet and Atlantic. We just have to wait and see :-)

Some people have all the luck

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Not as bad as last winter as for snow but I mean comparing it to last winter isn't saying much for it either. This winter is bad for sure. Maybe next winter will be better

This winter has been average. You can call this winter bad when compared to far colder winters recently but in comparison to an average Irish winter it has been relatively decent.

Had this winter taken place about 5 or 10 years ago I think most on here would be pleased with it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

D

Agree with this. At least with other mild winters, there wasn't quite the same model teasing going on. Seems we've been so close to decent snow cover so many times, but it's never quite been cold enough for it to last.

The daffs are starting to come up, time to face up to the inevitable I suppose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

This mornings rain in the east doesn't seen to have been predicted. MT has nowcasted it in todays forecast, but up until last night I was under the understanding it was going to be dry.

So, as for next week, and beyond - who knows ???

I've lost an awful amount of faith in all forecasting sources this winter. For my location they've more often been wrong than correct this winter and I'm including all weather types temps etc in that.

Forecasting beyond 2days has been inaccurate to say the least of course there were exceptions but these were highly limited. My interest in weather hasn't dwindled but I don't know which weather source/organisation/fc to follow from now on. Anybody got any good suggestions. Someone who has been decent this winter. Any websites. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Tomorrow looks quite wet in many areas.

The cold air is mixed out before the easterly sets in.

The trajectory of the low is not good, the only thing that can save us now is that the low deepens an extra 10-15mbar to have the power to advect the cold air over the north sea towards us.

Just looks a really miserable day now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

D

Way better winter than last year for most id say. I think you put to much faith in long range forecasts Derek and built your hope accordingly. We'll be in the same position next year, just expect nothing and some years you'll be surprised. At least you have the Wicklow mts :)

Anyway as this is the ramping thread winter isnt over yet :D
    Unless maybe you're after weeks of ice days :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement