Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

##RAMPING THREAD##

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Here's a FI ramp in case anyone needed one, total fiction but lovely all the same

gfs-1-300.png?18

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Not much to ramp this morning. 6z gfs continues with dominant high pressure theme and even a snow bunny like me can see the benefits of that too. This weekend's cold spell is still happening but unless the models are way off it will be dry and indeed the cold is getting watered down for us all the time - at this stage its -6's for a time on Sunday as opposed to -8's all weekend as per yesterday's 12z gfs.

Still and all, nothing is set in stone and when there is cold so nearby like that you only need small changes to reap big rewards....

Not much support for a northerly outbreak at the start of March now either - though the gfs 6z does show a rather anaemic version of same in FI.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think it's time to just let the snow wishing go for another year, we are due around 2 weeks of very badly needed dryness, after that we'll be into the 1st or 2nd week of March and time to start looking forward to warmer temperatures before our annual summer rainy season!. Cold spells are rarely any fun in March and really outstay their welcome by the start of April. Im hoping for a warm plume of air to drag up from Spain towards the end of March like it did last year, we could really do with some of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Wrong thread Gonzo.

We will wish for snow here for as long as possible.

I'm dubbing this one The Italian job and French connection. Should be a snowfest in mainland Europe.

I've got all the straws too.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Gonzo wrote: »
    I think it's time to just let the snow wishing go for another year, we are due around 2 weeks of very badly needed dryness, after that we'll be into the 1st or 2nd week of March and time to start looking forward to warmer temperatures before our annual summer rainy season!. Cold spells are rarely any fun in March and really outstay their welcome by the start of April. Im hoping for a warm plume of air to drag up from Spain towards the end of March like it did last year, we could really do with some of that.

Might not be fun to you Gonzo, but it would be for the rest of us, Snow is welcome anytime:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I'm with Gonzo. Feck this for a game of soldiers. Roll on Spring I say.

Perhaps people should consider leaving the thread to the rampers. There's a mild weather thread the last time I checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭power101

Did someone say UPGRADES!!

GFS is showing a much improved scenario for snow at 72 hours on the 12z.

The cold is now deeper and has moved 300 miles west with -6 uppers in Mid Ireland compared to wales on the previous run

power101 wrote: »

The cold is now deeper and has moved 300 miles west with -6 uppers in Mid Ireland compared to wales on the previous run

Hilarious, isn't it. Still rolling out but the high is a fair wad further north. Mightn't be all over yet......(at the risk of Kenneth Wolstenholme-like having to shortly declare, it is now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Still looks very dry but might be worth a ramp for Rebelbrowser :)

uksnowrisk.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

power101 wrote: »

Write it down it's an upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

dacogawa wrote: »
    I defo love the ECM the most and my cat ate a spider and got chased by a fox just as this chart was coming out :D

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2013021912/ECM0-96.GIF?19-0

That's an absolutely bone dry chart sadly!

What a waste of cold :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

John.Icy wrote: »

I would take dry frosty days at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

What a waste of cold :D

Hi John.Icy, I know there is now snow forecast this weekend however out of curiosity, how can you tell from that chart that the weather will be dry? I cannot see high or low pressure on the chart, just upper temps!!

D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

I much prefer the setup we have now.
    Cold/frosty at night and mild and sunny during the day.
    We get the best of both worlds. As much as I like snow, my eye is now turning to sunny/warm. A cracker of a Paddy's day would be nice.

But I am in the RAMP thread, so go team snow, you can do it.

derekon wrote: »

Hi John.Icy, I know there is now snow forecast this weekend however out of curiosity, how can you tell from that chart that the weather will be dry? I cannot see high or low pressure on the chart, just upper temps!!

D

I'm physique! :D

Ah no, just checked the corresponding pressure charts for +96 :P

The 18z gfs is not without its charms. gfs has gone back to the theme of a v cold 3 day spell from Friday with -6 uppers for most of the country and the odd glancing blow of -8s. Even shows a little precipitation down south!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Pics or GTFO! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Ah no, just checked the corresponding pressure charts for +96 :P

Thanks John.Icy......................now that makes sense! :D

D

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

we got a second day in a row of drying clothes today. the last time we had that was the end of november 2010. just before it snowed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Pics or GTFO! :D

haha my cruel spelling attempt corrected to something completely different! :D

Psychic ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Few GFS EPS members would give the east coast a few sneachta showers Friday/Saturday

#NeverSurrender!

gens-6-1-84.png?18

I posted this on the model thread but in truth its more of a ramp....

This mornings runs are good for coldies. This weekend does now look seriously cold with -9 uppers in the East and South at times on the ECM (see http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=ecmwf&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=t85p&HH=72&ZOOM=1&ARCHIV=0&RES=0&WMO=&PERIOD= and http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=ecmwf&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=t85p&HH=96&ZOOM=1&ARCHIV=0&RES=0&WMO=&PERIOD= ). Snow will be a nowcasting affair - at the moment the models say no but I'll be pressing f5 on the met eireann radar once or twice this weekend I suspect. MT on another forum has posted his view that if you have sufficiently cold uppers then showers will happen - instability or not.

After that there is an increasing risk of a Northerly in 10 days time. The charts of yesterday showing warmth at the start of March are gone for now....

I'm liking how little changes are happening. Edging further north west with some support.

I think snow showers for Dublin, Wicklow, Wexford at least into the weekend. Might only be brief but hey the situation is still evolving and you never know.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

I'm surprised its so quiet in general on the forum considering the charts that have been coming out the last number of days. I'm guessing too many disappointments this Winter has put a lot of people off.
    A real chance of some streamer action this weekend and also some severe frosts and bitter daytime temps so an interesting weekend ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Met.ie ramping cold this morning

A significant cold snap is on the way, with low temperature values by day and sub zero temperatures, severe frosts and some ice in places at night.

Should be our first proper cold period of the winter.

Unfortunately a significant cold spell to many in here includes about a foot of snow. 2010 destroyed many a perception in here as to what is severe. Folks just don't want to know if there's no snow fix. Wrong attitude really when all weather types should be imbraced by the weather enthusiast.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭Torque.ie

Looking at these charts, I have a feeling I'll be spending the next 48 hours + glued to this thread. Where is everybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

I think the word snow needs to be mentioned on the weather before people turn up here.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭Torque.ie

Lucreto wrote: »
    I think the word snow needs to be mentioned on the weather before people turn up here.

SNOW SNOW SNOW

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement