Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

##RAMPING THREAD##

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

But you haven't killed the ramp. That is the ramp. Lovely cold clean air is welcome by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

pauldry wrote: »
    Yes this cold spell is not too severe here in Sligo town yet. Last night it went to 1.6c but I would expect minus 3 or 4c on Saturday before the temperatures creep back up next week to 9c

East could see light snow grains though, while midlands could be minus 6 or 7c. Think these temperatures will only be over the weekend and possibly not that low on Sunday

Sorry I keep killing the ramp.

The cold spell hasn't arrived yet, tomorrow it will push west.
    Look at the five day forecast maps , met showing sunday night to be the coldest.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Look at this mornings ECM run. :eek: Forget Spring....Winter is just starting! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭devilabit

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Look at this mornings ECM run. :eek: Forget Spring....Winter is just starting! :p

Indeed, widespread blizzard over much of Ireland.

ECM1-240.GIF?21-12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

devilabit wrote: »

Indeed, widespread blizzard over much of Ireland.

ECM1-240.GIF?21-12

Could we get a 1947 out of this ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

looking good for March coming in like a lion - GFS and ECM looking very similar at +240 with an Arctic blast :)
    I keep hearing stuff about "snow won't lie in March" because of the sun etc etc but could someone please tell me why snow doesn't lie in January either when the sun has no strength :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

looking good for March coming in like a lion - GFS and ECM looking very similar at +240 with an Arctic blast :)
    I keep hearing stuff about "snow won't lie in March" because of the sun etc etc but could someone please tell me why snow doesn't lie in January either when the sun has no strength :rolleyes:

If you have the right temperatures/upper temperatures, snow will lie anytime of the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Geomy wrote: »
    Could we get a 1947 out of this ?

Bit late for a 1947 type Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

About an hour ago i'm positive i saw tiny flakes floating around,could this have been possible or was my eyes playing tricks on me.
    Laois area

About an hour ago i'm positive i saw tiny flakes floating around,could this have been possible or was my eyes playing tricks on me.
    Laois area

Well it's cold enough.....

Above freezing but favourable dew points.

Not really any precip around but a bit of snizzle would be possible.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭Torque.ie

3.5c here & sunny here now. Feels like -10c. Wind 15kph from SE.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

So frustrating!

Bloody FREEZING here in Firhouse - temp 1.2C and DP is a balmy -3!!!

And not a drop, a bloody drop, drip, even a teeny tiny amount of precipitation!

What a waste!!! Last week all the flipping rain wasted as too warm, this week NO rain and right temps!

Winters "lovely and mild" (deep sarcasm) and summers "crappy and wet"

Upside down and backtofront weather - that's what we have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Bit late for a 1947 type Winter.
    I thought that began around the end of Feb ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

So frustrating!

Bloody FREEZING here in Firhouse - temp 1.2C and DP is a balmy -3!!!

And not a drop, a bloody drop, drip, even a teeny tiny amount of precipitation!

What a waste!!! Last week all the flipping rain wasted as too warm, this week NO rain and right temps!

Winters "lovely and mild" (deep sarcasm) and summers "crappy and wet"

Upside down and backtofront weather - that's what we have.

lbR6XkJ.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Laois area

Probably ash from your neighbour burning their rubbish. Anyway to avoid bin charges :)

2c here (Dublin12) with 75% humidity and -2c DP. If the humidity rises so too will the DP.

21 January 1947, we are a month out.

Every year we compare charts to 1947 :) Let it go gents, let it go

• Registered Users Posts: 24,190 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Torque.ie wrote: »
    3.5c here & sunny here now. Feels like -10c. Wind 15kph from SE.

Actually it feels like 0C

This is a useful tool for people over the next few days

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/windchill/

No late January to early March.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Elloo ello everybody, glad i have been to busy with college work to stalk the models the last week or so as it sounded like a proper rollercoaster.

Anyways heres my thoughts for this weekend.

Overall i don't see much of a snow risk tbh apart from Saturday when we get the coldest 850's over us .

-9 s are nice to see yes but with the high pressure itll be very hard for showers to form so we need a stronger wind fetch to get things going imo.
    242016.png

Forecasted sea surface temps DO break that magic 13ºC range that we need between SSTs and 850s so thats the one thing in our favour. Lapse rates are only fair though so id expect , if the forecasted wind direction is right being NE then probably only very light showers along the coast but orographic uplift may increase showers in the wicklow area.

242025.png

So all in all i think we should be happy to see even the lightest of showers about but mainly the night time frosts will be the issue starting from later as the skies clear. :)

Shall be interesting to see the NAE when it comes in range for the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

No roller coaster Ian. I think we all know what to expect.

But it's Saturday when coolest air over us. Some showers blown in off Irish sea but nothing to go mental about. Radar watch is needed here.

I'm going to enjoy the dry and frosty air.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

No late January to early March.
    Yes, from the third week of January to around the 10th of March.
    But the best was still to come on Feb 21 1947.
    Here's a story from the book Ireland's Arctic Siege 1947
    The newspapers of Feb 24th 1947, reported that the temperature had reached +1c in Moscow and there were even reports of light rain from western Russia, because the wind had blown from the east for a month the papers presumed the winter was over!!
    Irish Independent: .....hopes for a break in cold spell
    Irish Press:....... warmer Moscow may mean a thaw

The next day, the 25th, saw the biggest blizzard of the winter followed by a severe cold spell, the weekend of March 1/2 saw dazzling sunshine and deep snow lying and there were reports of skating all over the country.
    The lowest temp of the winter, -17.2c was recorded on March 3rd in Co Sligo.
    Another snowstorm struck on March 5th with Cos Cork, Waterford, Wexford, Kilkenny and Tipperary the worse/best affected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

Yes, from the third week of January to around the 10th of March.
    But the best was still to come on Feb 21 1947.
    Here's a story from the book Ireland's Arctic Siege 1947
    The newspapers of Feb 24th 1947, reported that the temperature had reached +1c in Moscow and there were even reports of light rain from western Russia, because the wind had blown from the east for a month the papers presumed the winter was over!!
    Irish Independent: .....hopes for a break in cold spell
    Irish Press:....... warmer Moscow may mean a thaw

The next day, the 25th, saw the biggest blizzard of the winter followed by a severe cold spell, the weekend of March 1/2 saw dazzling sunshine and deep snow lying and there were reports of skating all over the country.
    The lowest temp of the winter, -17.2c was recorded on March 3rd in Co Sligo.
    Another snowstorm struck on March 5th with Cos Cork, Waterford, Wexford, Kilkenny and Tipperary the worse/best affected.

And from that day on, the people of County Waterford knew him as "Sir Elmer The Ramper"

:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Northern Ireland
    Days 1 to 5
    Regional forecast
    Day 1 to 5 UK forecast
    Day 1 to 5 UK forecast
    Day 6 to 30
    Headline:
    Mostly dry, but cold. Sunny spells west, cloudier in east.

Today:
    Dry and bright with patchy cloud and sunny intervals over western counties. Always cloudier over the east, but bright spells, with a few glimpses of sunshine over Armagh. Cold with frost early and late. Winds falling light. Maximum Temperature 4 °C.

Tonight:
    Mainly dry and cold, with clear spells in west. Cloudier in the east with perhaps a few snow flurries towards the coast and over hills. Widespread frost even where cloudier. Minimum Temperature -3 °C.

Saturday:
    Mainly dry and bright with some sunny spells, but these mostly in the west. Still cold with perhaps a few snow flurries in the east. Winds remaining light. Maximum Temperature 4 °C.

Outlook for Sunday to Tuesday:
    Bright with sunny spells, but staying cold with risk of snow flurries in the cloudier east. Light winds and widespread frost, this sharp overnight with freezing fog patches.

Issued at: 0400 on Fri 22 Feb 2013

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Light snow flurries here just south of Arklow just now!

1.9 c air

Dp is -2.8

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

GFS Run.

Look at the trend towards +192. If that keeps moving south :eek:

http://makeagif.com/i/sgoEvx

th_homer_drool.jpg

The core of that cold and its low pressure systems are unlikely to head due south though,more likely south east towards the North sea,that's the typical route.
    So modified polar northerlies or north westerlies with -8 uppers at best under marginal dew points.
    Cold rainy sleety muck at sea level.
    However as the low heads further south east towards Holland(hopefully for coldies) ,that will tug negative dps better thickness's into the mix eliminating marginality as that air that originally came se gets advected southwestwards in a northeasterly to us,if ye get me?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,190 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

And how many trends to +192 have held up this winter? None.

This is some arctic hell blast, a frigid 2C, hurricane Force 3 and blinding overcastfall! ;)

Would be nice get a few flurries on the fetch tomorrow though

True.
    Theorising and in practice, rarely the twain shall meet if looking for Irish snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Very light showers possible tonight along the East coast according to the 11am NAE...

242157.png

I think they'll only noticeable in higher areas due to uplift creating more instability .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Well we may not have snow but some serious cold now over us, pbly the coldest all Winter
    Temps at 4pm very low, 1C for Cork 2C for Dublin etc

When these -8 uppers move in tomorrow it will fell even more bitter. Would not be surprised if snow graupel is quite prevalent tomorrow and Sunday on exposed coasts.
    Particularly tomorrow looks poised between 3 and 9pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Tiny bits of activity just off the east coast on raintoday now

Good build up at the Isle of Man (6pm) hope it holds together!

Still holding :)http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

looks better on raintoday.co.uk

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement