Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

##RAMPING THREAD##

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭zidewayz

heffoo wrote: »
    Score !!! Im 215mtr ish up the wicklow hills around 4to 5mins drive from lug :)

Are you on the east or west side. If MT's forecast is correct east side of mountains should get more snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Lagoona Blue

hey everyone so it's happening ..... it's actually happening ?

snow :eek::D

*reads MT's update and falls off chair *

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭zidewayz

Kippure wrote: »
    We need photos.There has to be snow lying in the wicklow mountains by now for sure

I didn't head up there today. Gave it a miss as the temps rose big time yest eve and today so I would of expected a good bit of thaw in progress. Hopefully the next couple of days we will see low lying snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Dead_Rabbits

snow :eek::D

creepy-smile-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-179.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

creepy-smile-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-179.gif

Where do you find those moving pictures??!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

[SIZE="4"]snow[/SIZE] :eek::D

Dont jinks it. Until we see snow then it's happening.
    My stomach is in knots

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

It's good there are signs of snow but little sustained cold beyond the middle of next week if the charts verify. Some very good snow for most over the weekend and into next week, though, if it verifies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

A ramp from the king of ramps on NW, Steve Murr. :P
    Good luck to ireland- the NE part is in a big sweet spot tomorrow- maybe 20cms & beyond...

similar to that easterly from a couple of years ago that landed 12 inches- cant remember the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Pack a lunch or two because it won't be going a lot faster than walking pace, but I do think it will call just about everywhere before it reaches Cork on Monday.

Meanwhile in Cork

WrLfj.gif

0sDvv.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Dead_Rabbits

leahyl wrote: »
    Where do you find those moving pictures??!!

The answer you seek is on the "MOVING PICTURE" ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Pangea wrote: »
    Meanwhile in Cork

WrLfj.gif

0sDvv.gif

Did you ever hear the phrase saving the best wine till last???!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Remember the Greenland Express? This will be more like the Scotland Slow Train stopping at all stations, but it has set out on its journey and the first stop is Ulster east, then Ulster west, then north Connacht then on to Dublin.

Pack a lunch or two because it won't be going a lot faster than walking pace, but I do think it will call just about everywhere before it reaches Cork on Monday.

Put into forecasting terms, this looks like being a gradual north to south replacement of mild Atlantic air now present by snow-chilled air masses seeping into the increasingly easterly circulation from a much colder Britain. The process starts late Friday night when tonight's frontal system stalls and gets pulled back into low pressure near Donegal. That should place most of Ulster in the colder variety of air masses near -1 C with sleet changing to snow, and there could be heavy falls on higher terrain. Expect 5-10 cm in places but 15-25 cm on some hills in the north by late Saturday.

The seepage continues all day Saturday placing parts of inland Connacht and north Leinster on the cold side of a frontal boundary but also the air mass to the south of the boundary will lose its connection to the milder Atlantic source and will begin to modify itself, with temperatures sinking towards 2 C by late Saturday. That will turn showers in the milder air mass more wintry while snow is pushing south. By late Saturday night the frontal boundary will dissolve and all regions will be getting a roughly equal easterly feed of colder air that will now be modified only by crossing the Irish Sea. I would expect streamers to develop with mixed sleety showers near sea level and heavy snow potential in higher parts of Dublin and Wicklow. If any stronger low pressure does develop in the Atlantic and begins to interact with all of this, heavy snow could develop, but if not, the process will remain gradual with further outbreaks of light snow here and there across the central and eventually southern counties. The last district to fall to this process would probably be west Cork and coastal Kerry and that might take most of Monday to finish up, with the possibility that one or two really mild spots could stay above freezing throughout.

I think that by mid-day Monday about 50-70 per cent of the country will have snow cover with an average depth of perhaps 2-4 cm and some fairly isolated falls of 10-30 cm are possible. The most likely places to see heavy snow would be hills in south Donegal and about halfway up the eastern slopes in Wicklow and south Dublin (around 350m might see the heaviest accumulations). I expect reports to be highly variable simply because there won't be strong organization taking place in this colder pattern. Overnight temperatures could eventually fall to about -7 C (would say -3 C for Dublin at some point mid-week) so today would be the day to get yourself some de-icing materials for both the vehicle (if you park outside, expect some hassles with frozen locks and iced over windscreens) and the pavement around your home.

MT any chance you could spare some travel info with regards flights over next few days - flying Into paris in the morning then back Monday night ?
    Thanks

The answer you seek is on the "MOVING PICTURE" ;)

:o thanks....

Meanwhile in Cork

WrLfj.gif

0sDvv.gif

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

GIFSFORUM.COM maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

lucy2010 wrote: »

MT any chance you could spare some travel info with regards flights over next few days - flying Into paris in the morning then back Monday night ?
    Thanks

Lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

nat00_weather.png?1655

gw-16170812-rage-gif-.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

leahyl wrote: »
    :mad:

don't know whether to cry, get pissed or laugh at that picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭heffoo

zidewayz wrote: »

Are you on the east or west side. If MT's forecast is correct east side of mountains should get more snow.
    East side :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

nat00_weather.png?1655

gw-16170812-rage-gif-.gif

Ah Gerry's just having a laugh with us again, I'm surprised he hasn't put some misht in there...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Nobody does a ramp like MT, I want to catch a lift on the slow train from Scotland!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

Brillant
    Did you ever think you'd see the day south Donegal would be isolated as a potential snow spot in one of mt's forecasts :O exciting :-)

edit: not entirely sure what I'm at with these emoticons but you get my drift...... Pun most definitely intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭tomcosgrave

Folks, the one question I haven't seen asked is - will there be any graupel? And what is graupel anyway?

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Folks, the one question I haven't seen asked is - will there be any graupel? And what is graupel anyway?

:D:D:D

It'll be mostly graupel. Soft snow pellets.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭tomcosgrave

Confab wrote: »
    It'll be mostly graupel. Soft snow pellets.

I know, I was just making a joke about what the most obvious question seems to be in these forums when the snow starts falling.

The next question is "What's the Isle of Man shadow?"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Meanwhile in Cork AND CLARE

WrLfj.gif

0sDvv.gif

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

BEFORE THE SNOW ARRIVES TOMORROW COULD EVERYONE ENSURE THEY HAVE THEIR LOCATION LISTED AND IF POSSIBLE THEIR HEIGHT ABOVE SEA LEVEL.

THANKS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

irish1967 wrote: »
    BEFORE THE SNOW ARRIVES TOMORROW COULD EVERYONE ENSURE THEY HAVE THEIR LOCATION LISTED AND IF POSSIBLE THEIR HEIGHT ABOVE SEA LEVEL.

THANKS

Do you know of a website where I can find my altitude?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Easiest way I think is to install google earth and put the pointer over your house, it should show your height on the bottom.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

I used http://dateandtime.info/citycoordinates.php

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement