Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

##RAMPING THREAD##

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Sick of these kind of statements.
    We were close .... Blah blah blah.
    Only 100 miles away blah blah blah!
    Facts are - when the fcs are put up - they call out ireland. Not 100 or 300 miles away. This might seem harsh but its facts!
    So when they are wrong by 300 miles then people have a right to be frustrated and not have the same ........... But it was very close when you look at the size of europe nonsense answers!

It is also a fact that weather forecasting is not an exact science.

People get hooked on looking for certain weather conditions but to paraphrse Joe Bastardi 'enjoy the weather, it's the only weather you got'.
    We might all complain about not getting the weather we want. The fact is if you lived in Britain you would have experienced a relatively harsh winter.
    Overall we got quite good forecasts from Met Eireann, maybe people were relying on long term forecasts, the weather models, postmen or whatever. We can all look and want to accept what we want to hear rather than the reality.

Some people looked for too much and believed too much what they wanted to hear or see, then of course they get disappointed when it doesn't turn out the way they want.
    I find all weather interesting, the obsession some have with snow just bores me, and I did get attacked on the forum (the mods dealt with it) for liking mild weather. This is how ridiculous things have gotten and it is why some people chose to leave in my opinion.

We were close to the real cold and snow in geographical terms, it didn't happen, still could, we should just embrace the weather we get, if people are weather enthusiasts, they will find all weather types interesting, not just snow, and then won't feel a need to be disappointed if something doesn't happen weather wise.

The weather never stays the same, it can be very frustrating but we have to take what we get as we can't change it, maybe all the ramping just adds to frustration.
    Notice there is no ramping in the mild thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,362 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I am a confirmed snow / cold weather lover and it is undoubtedly frustrating to see it bucketing white stuff across the Irish Sea. That said, we got a few weeks of very cold weather. There were a couple of winters like 2006 or 2007 where we didn't even get that.

As always, this forum is a great resource for having an idea of what to expect - even if 100% accuracy will always elude the enthusiasts. Hopefully we all get the chance to come back and be disappointed for many more winters to come...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Weathering wrote: »
    I'm done now good luck and god bless

You remind me of those visitors that always say they are going but two hours later they are still standing at the door :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Ha ha, good laugh reading those petulant posts by Weathering. Get the feeling someone made a tool of themselves promising friends and family a blizzard was around the corner based on interpretations of the weather models.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Min wrote: »

People get hooked on looking for certain weather conditions but to paraphrse Joe Bastardi 'enjoy the weather, it's the only weather you got'.
    We might all complain about not getting the weather we want. The fact is if you lived in Britain you would have experienced a relatively harsh winter.
    Overall we got quite good forecasts from Met Eireann, maybe people were relying on long term forecasts, the weather models, postmen or whatever. We can all look and want to accept what we want to hear rather than the reality.

Some people looked for too much and believed too much what they wanted to hear or see, then of course they get disappointed when it doesn't turn out the way they want.
    I find all weather interesting, the obsession some have with snow just bores me, and I did get attacked on the forum (the mods dealt with it) for liking mild weather. This is how ridiculous things have gotten and it is why some people chose to leave in my opinion.

We were close to the real cold and snow in geographical terms, it didn't happen, still could, we should just embrace the weather we get, if people are weather enthusiasts, they will find all weather types interesting, not just snow, and then won't feel a need to be disappointed if something doesn't happen weather wise.

The weather never stays the same, it can be very frustrating but we have to take what we get as we can't change it, maybe all the ramping just adds to frustration.
    The blame game post mortem of winter 12/13 was never going to be easy (unlike last year) Yes, we were close to cold with blocking to the NE a feature of this winter but snow from the east in Ireland is as elusive as ever.
    Don't forget that the second coldest Feb of the 20th century (1986) was bone dry so even that was a let down.
    Excuse my ignorance but how do you ramp mild weather in Ireland?
    That would be a bit like ramping cold and snow in Siberia. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

dopolahpec wrote: »
    Ha ha, good laugh reading those petulant posts by Weathering. Get the feeling someone made a tool of themselves promising friends and family a blizzard was around the corner based on interpretations of the weather models.

I've been known in my family as "There's Snow on the Mountains" since I was about five and thought I'd finally found a way to make them pay for their smartassedness when I first stumbled in here. At last, a source of semi-reliable stuff to dazzle the doubters. I must say, I tried a good bit of dazzling this winter and now look like an even bigger knob.
    I'm still clinging to the bit of reflected glory I got for telling everyone to buy extra milk in 2010 but not much of that left now.....glory not milk.

What I find hilarious is that someone should become so irate with air pressure convection and precipitation. Given the awful lake of poo we're all in at the moment, i would have thought that there are more than enough targets for angst without taking it out on a puff of wind.....

Come on Weathering! It's only weather.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

The mean temp for the last 7 days has been 4c below average, of course it doesn't count as a cold spell unless we have heavy snow :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

The blame game post mortem of winter 12/13 was never going to be easy (unlike last year) Yes, we were close to cold with blocking to the NE a feature of this winter but snow from the east in Ireland is as elusive as ever.
    Don't forget that the second coldest Feb of the 20th century (1986) was bone dry so even that was a let down.
    Excuse my ignorance but how do you ramp mild weather in Ireland?
    That would be a bit like ramping cold and snow in Siberia. :confused:

Look for charts with temperatures in the teens, which are in FI. Then build it up and it does turn milder but temperatures reach a max 12C :P

Look for charts with temperatures in the teens, which are in FI. Then build it up and it does turn milder but temperatures reach a max 12C :P
    oh, I see, you're talking about June, July and August then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

If only you practise what you preach Min! Many a times I told you to embrace the snow ;), but you are constantly on here talking to everyone as if snow is the devil itself. The mods had to deal with you yourself in this thread I hope you dont forget.
    Nobody ramps mild weather because it is always around us, usually. If there is a ramping beach weather thread in the summer then Il be there , or a storm ramping thread but for now its winter and in snow territory so the cold ramping thread is here.

There is two separate threads why people who dont like cold keep coming in here giving out about snow being boring is just really itching for some snow robbed person to reply angrily. If people want to ramp what they like let them . People need to embrace the fact that there is more interest in snow than any other weather on here and instead of giving out about all the hysteria about snow. Hysteria adds a bit of spice to the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭corksurfer2005

if people are weather enthusiasts, they will find all weather types interesting, not just snow, and then won't feel a need to be disappointed if something doesn't happen weather wise.

What absolute rubbish, that's akin to saying that a true soccer enthusiast will find all matches interesting even if a match is as dull as dishwater.

Does us all a favour and stop trolling threads that you have no interest in!

You're being an awful pest Min

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

What absolute rubbish, that's akin to saying that a true soccer enthusiast will find all matches interesting even if a match is as dull as dishwater.

Does us all a favour and stop trolling threads that you have no interest in!

You're being an awful pest Min

I have read mins last post and was on verge of responding! I felt a strong need to .......... Then i read this post.
    For me a fantastic post - sums things up perfectly for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

To be fair to min,I think what he may have been trying to say is,people on weather fora,prefer extreme weather.
    Now that is not true in real life.Most people in the general population,despair of extreme wind,rain,snow,drought,heat etc.
    Here it's loved.

In actual fact most people outside of here would call for the men in white coats reading half of what posters here hope for at times if it was real life.
    Seriously,think about it.For example Flood threads ooze disappointment if the severe rain doesn't come too.Talk of down grades etc,a term synonomous with disappointment.
    Imagine being disappointed if your road isn't blocked by tree's,your house isn't flooded or your roof hasn't caved in with the weight of snow...but there's been a downgrade..what a disappointment..

Discussions here are interesting nonetheless and often enlightening regardless but should be read with filtered glasses,same goes for netweather and two a lot of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭tomcosgrave

I get what Min saying in his post, and I think that Whitebriar in the post above this one is spot on in his analysis.

I get what Min saying in his post, and I think that Whitebriar in the post above this one is spot on in his analysis.

What's wrong with being fascinated with extreme weather events and being disappointed if they do not come to pass after showing up in models?

Personally I don't get disappointed if these things don't happen but at the same time I can understand how many people on here are in awe of the power of Mother Nature.

It's rare that we ever get anything extreme so I don't see what people like Min have to worry about. Most of the time our weather is just plain average so why not enjoy the rare occasions that we get something out of the ordinary.

Correct me if I'm wrong Min but I recall reading that you are a farmer. Sure we all know farmers are never happy with the weather unless it's exactly the weather they need at that moment in time!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

March, ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......

Rtavn3362.png

GFS throwing up some mind boggling charts in FI for the time of year, or for any time of year in fact!! Sustained ENE flow with -14 uppers into the UK, and Ireland bathing in -10s and lower. The kind of thing that would have some of the people here committing indecent acts to themselves with excitement had they shown in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭tucker1971

March, ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......

Rtavn3362.png

This is the point i imagine weathering is trying to make, posting up these fantasy charts that count for nothing. Its like somebody saying that West Ham United will be top of the premier league in March! Nonsense.

These charts get posted, and ramped up, and has everyone on false hope. Can anyone tell me the last time a chart 2 weeks out in winter actually came true??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Correct me if I'm wrong Min but I recall reading that you are a farmer. Sure we all know farmers are never happy with the weather unless it's exactly the weather they need at that moment in time!

C'mon Corksurfer, who is trolling now? I do agree with some of your points but having read his posts for years, I am satisfied as to Min's bona fides. I don't think he's trolling at all - but you are right, he should just ignore these snow ramping threads if they get on his wick....

tucker1971 wrote: »
    This is the point i imagine weathering is trying to make, posting up these fantasy charts that count for nothing. Its like somebody saying that West Ham United will be top of the premier league in March! Nonsense.

These charts get posted, and ramped up, and has everyone on false hope. Can anyone tell me the last time a chart 2 weeks out in winter actually came true??

I dunno...Andy Carroll is due a run of goals at this stage.

• Advertisement

What point? This is a RAMPING thread. Most people who come here have enough cop on that there is a high unlikelihood that this chart would verify. However, the point of this thread is to share charts like this when they do show in the models. False hope my hole, that's your personal issue. Do you have false hope every time you buy a lottery ticket? Get a grip, and let the people here continue sharing charts that interest them.

A weather discussion forum doesn't need people like you interpreting every chart as a forecast that should verify.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Youneckfreak

If the models and charts are free to view no wonder their rubbish.

If the models and charts are free to view no their rubbish

?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

If the models and charts are free to view no wonder their rubbish.

LOL, The eiffel tower is free to view as well, Does that make it rubbish?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

didnt the snow of November 2010 get shown up in FI 2/3 weeks beforehand?

ye never know this could work out, propably a setup for ENE winds all the way till September to bring another very cold summer:)

C'mon Corksurfer, who is trolling now? I do agree with some of your points but having read his posts for years, I am satisfied as to Min's bona fides. I don't think he's trolling at all - but you are right, he should just ignore these snow ramping threads if they get on his wick....

Trolling is coming into threads you have no interest in and posting comments to wind people up.

Making a joke about farmers not being happy with the weather unless it matches their exact needs at that time of the year is not trolling!

Gonzo wrote: »

ye never know this could work out, propably a setup for ENE winds all the way till September to bring another very cold summer:)
    I agree, it's not unusual for winter to have a sting in it's tail. I don't have any facts or data but I think it's safe to say that snow is more common on St Patrick's Day than on Christmas Day. As long as pressure is low around the Azores in Winter (yes winter! I don't think winter will end on the stroke of midnight!) an easterly cannot be ruled out and pressure building to the N/NE is consistently showing up in the charts.
    By the way an ENE airflow is not necessarily a bad thing in summer, I have seen temperatures hit the high twenties in place like Belmullet and Valentia in a ENE'ly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Making a joke about farmers not being happy with the weather unless it matches their exact needs at that time of the year is not trolling!
    It's very farmerist though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

well 2 to 3 inchs of snow fell last night in Fuengirola, Costa Del Sol, spent most of my childhood summers there and know people who lived there and they never saw a frost in over 30 years so anythings possible....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

it snowed in fuengirola? are you kidding me? :confused::eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement