Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

##RAMPING THREAD##

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last time the met office had a red warning out was in N Ireland during the Dec 2010 spell

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Keith96

Did Gerry just say snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Super hoop

Stick another 0 on there :o
    Ah bollox

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Gerry only looking as far as Sunday midday !!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

zerks wrote: »
    Tesco in Aberdare in Wales,the shelves were stripped as people stocked up in preparation.

article-2263837-16FF7310000005DC-347_964x789.jpg

Look on the bright side, at least there'll be no problem getting burgers here. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

A slight ramp from Montrose is good enough for me. I remember the famous eastern streamers of 2010, only came after such a ramp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Villain wrote: »
    Gerry only looking as far as Sunday midday !!
    Indeed and the rain will turn to shleet on the mountains of wicklow,he said with the possibility of snow on the highest mountains .

Lugnaquilla might be high enough... :D [/sarcasm]

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Fuh Q

Gerry didnt seem too excited about the prospects for Snow, seemed more favorable for sleet..

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

stooge wrote: »

That works really well thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Fuh Q wrote: »
    Gerry didnt seem too excited about the prospects for Snow, seemed more favorable for sleet..
    I suppose there's a big difference between snow that will or will not stick on the ground. Given how many places might see snow but not see it stick tomorrow, it might just be easier for giving a forecast to call wet snow, snow not sticking etc. as "sleet"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Nice bit of Indie ramping

"Code red! 'Don't go out' warnings as rare alert warns of Welsh blizzard"

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/code-red-dont-go-out-warnings-as-rare-alert-warns-of-welsh-blizzard-3356457.html

Pretty exciting, they don't put out those red warnings willy nilly!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Britain's icy blast set to last

By John Hammond
    BBC Weather
    Winter's bitter grip is tightening. Earlier in the week, some eastern areas of the UK were buried under a heavy fall of snow, but many of us had escaped the worst...until now.

At least nature is trying to be even-handed - western areas are expected to be worst affected on Friday, with a foot of snow possible over the Welsh hills. A Red Severe Weather Warning has been issued, and the Met Office doesn't give out Red Warnings lightly.

The BBC Weather Centre is a very busy place right now. By early next week, much of the UK will be under snow, and I suspect that some places will not see their lawn again until February.

Sudden Stratospheric Warming
    The Sudden Stratospheric Warming which has contributed to this onslaught of winter weather has already peaked, but its effects down here at ground (or should that be snow) level last a lot longer. The shot of warmth at the top of the atmosphere has snarled up lower levels into a twisted contortion of swirls and eddies. That in turn has blocked off our normal westerly winds, and opened the gates for frigid air to spew towards us on north-easterly winds from the arctic.

This cold, dense slab of air, once in residence, is hard to shift. In fact repeated attempts by Atlantic fronts to deliver some warmth are proving more trouble than they're worth. Each front slows and stalls as it approaches our frozen shores, merely injecting moisture to the chilly mix - leading to repeated bouts of snow, before the fronts retreat away in submission.

Western areas are on the frontline of this battleground and the next threat comes early next week, with the approach of another Atlantic weather system. More heavy snow looms, and although the milder air may briefly have the audacity to sneak into some south-western areas, turning the snow back to rain, the cold air will soon sweep back in from the northeast.

_65353009_spag1.jpg
    Spaghetti chart 1000-5000hPa valid 12z 18/01/2013
    _65353011_spag2.jpg
    Spaghetti chart 1000-5000hPa valid 00z 24/01/2013
    No end in sight?
    So the weather forecasters say there's worse to come. But when will the bitter grip finally relent?

The graphic on the right shows how the computer currently 'sees' the atmosphere. The blue area indicates cold, and green indicates warm. You don't need to be a weatherman to see that we are very definitely in the blue this weekend.

Running the computer models forward in time, we'd normally expect the chart to become more chaotic or 'noisy'. That's because in weather, predictability always decreases with time. However what's remarkable about this second 'spaghetti' plot is that even at the end of next week, the UK is still well and truly cold. The computers are almost unanimous - we're in for

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

It seems we're mostly in the "blue" there too. Good stuff. Looks like the MOGREPS ensembles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

leahyl wrote: »
    I'd say we'll be ok down here Sunbabe :-)

seriously? being negative already? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

By John Hammond
    BBC Weather
    Winter's bitter grip is tightening. Earlier in the week, some eastern areas of the UK were buried under a heavy fall of snow, but many of us had escaped the worst...until now.

At least nature is trying to be even-handed - western areas are expected to be worst affected on Friday, with a foot of snow possible over the Welsh hills. A Red Severe Weather Warning has been issued, and the Met Office doesn't give out Red Warnings lightly.

The BBC Weather Centre is a very busy place right now. By early next week, much of the UK will be under snow, and I suspect that some places will not see their lawn again until February.

Sudden Stratospheric Warming
    The Sudden Stratospheric Warming which has contributed to this onslaught of winter weather has already peaked, but its effects down here at ground (or should that be snow) level last a lot longer. The shot of warmth at the top of the atmosphere has snarled up lower levels into a twisted contortion of swirls and eddies. That in turn has blocked off our normal westerly winds, and opened the gates for frigid air to spew towards us on north-easterly winds from the arctic.

This cold, dense slab of air, once in residence, is hard to shift. In fact repeated attempts by Atlantic fronts to deliver some warmth are proving more trouble than they're worth. Each front slows and stalls as it approaches our frozen shores, merely injecting moisture to the chilly mix - leading to repeated bouts of snow, before the fronts retreat away in submission.

Western areas are on the frontline of this battleground and the next threat comes early next week, with the approach of another Atlantic weather system. More heavy snow looms, and although the milder air may briefly have the audacity to sneak into some south-western areas, turning the snow back to rain, the cold air will soon sweep back in from the northeast.

_65353009_spag1.jpg
    Spaghetti chart 1000-5000hPa valid 12z 18/01/2013
    _65353011_spag2.jpg
    Spaghetti chart 1000-5000hPa valid 00z 24/01/2013
    No end in sight?
    So the weather forecasters say there's worse to come. But when will the bitter grip finally relent?

The graphic on the right shows how the computer currently 'sees' the atmosphere. The blue area indicates cold, and green indicates warm. You don't need to be a weatherman to see that we are very definitely in the blue this weekend.

Running the computer models forward in time, we'd normally expect the chart to become more chaotic or 'noisy'. That's because in weather, predictability always decreases with time. However what's remarkable about this second 'spaghetti' plot is that even at the end of next week, the UK is still well and truly cold. The computers are almost unanimous - we're in for
    :eek: Thats incredible. I think the cold will be hard to shift. Ireland and especially the east coast maybe the battleground. If we get mild interludes they will only be very brief. We probably will have very heavy snowfalls. Rock on:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

What do them spaghetti charts mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

zerks wrote: »
    Tesco in Aberdare in Wales,the shelves were stripped as people stocked up in preparation.

article-2263837-16FF7310000005DC-347_964x789.jpg

you sure thats not the horse burgers shelf?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

BEASTERLY wrote: »

The Jet stream and atmospheric conditions I think but not a 100% sure

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

Blue Spaghetti = cold, green spaghetti = mild. Mild air remaining south:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

WHAT?

What are we in for?

ARGGGHHHHHHH

• Advertisement

gabeeg wrote: »
    WHAT?

What are we in for?

ARGGGHHHHHHH

Woops

"the long haul"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭corksurfer2005

Lads I have to say, this has been fascinating, my first winter of model watching (been watching since about October) and by all accounts I picked a great time to start!

I know it's not set in stone and things may still change but seeing it all develop has been amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

:eek: Thats incredible. I think the cold will be hard to shift. Ireland and especially the east coast maybe the battleground. If we get mild interludes they will only be very brief. We probably will have very heavy snowfalls. Rock on:D

His last spaghetti post seems right on the money, quite optimistic now with all the forecasts lately... (just waiting till the 18h GFS puts a dent in that)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/20998895

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

It looks like the MOGREPS ensembles. Each blue line representing the boundry of a cold airmass on an individual model run. Same with the green lines expect that shows milder air. Slightly different starting conditions for each run and then overlay them all to see if a pattern emerges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

The shot of warmth at the top of the atmosphere has snarled up lower levels into a twisted contortion of swirls and eddies.

I was here last night, and someone got away with asking what sleet is without being ridiculed.

It's given me the confidence to ask this - what is an eddie?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

I was here last night, and someone got away with asking what sleet is without being ridiculed.

taking a stab at what an eddie is here..but

izzard-blizzard?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddy_(fluid_dynamics)

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭beaver111

I'm supposed to be playing golf tomorrow in trim what the change it stay dry till twoish:-D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

dacogawa wrote: »
    His last spaghetti post seems right on the money, quite optimistic now with all the forecasts lately... (just waiting till the 18h GFS puts a dent in that)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/20998895

23024752.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭thomasj

beaver111 wrote: »
    I'm supposed to be playing golf tomorrow in trim what the change it stay dry till twoish:-D

Have you a golf buggy? ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement