Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beginner Photography Classes

• 17-01-2013 10:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Was looking to get into photography and before I bought an SLR I was thinking of doing a photography course on the basics ASAP. Would anyone be able to recommend somewhere at a reasonable enough price? Saw these but felt they were a bit dear for the day courses? http://www.iop.ie/courses/index.htm

I would be willing to pay a bit more if the basics of photoshop were included also. I'm from Thurles so if it was more local than Dublin that would be great but not essential. Sorry if there's a thread on this already but I couldn't find it! Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

I was going to suggest Dublin Camera Club - they have a course starting next week ..but since you are down the country ... join your local camera club ...attend meetings, read a few books ("understanding exposure" is supposed to be great).... learn about the buzzwords (ie. ISO, Aperture, Depth of Field, Chromatic aberration etc etc)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Corkbah wrote: »
    I was going to suggest Dublin Camera Club - they have a course starting next week ..but since you are down the country ... join your local camera club ...attend meetings, read a few books ("understanding exposure" is supposed to be great).... learn about the buzzwords (ie. ISO, Aperture, Depth of Field, Chromatic aberration etc etc)

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭pedatron

Corkbah wrote: »

I loves me a bit of Chromatic aberration! :p

Ah no thanks for the reply. I was hoping to do a kind of one or two day crash course first and then hit the camera club in Thurles. I was told by a friend its full of pros that haven't much time for complete n00bs like me. Maybe he's exaggerating. I contacted the camera club anyway a week ago and explained my situation and haven't heard anything back yet.

Oh I'm currently reading understanding exposure on recommendation from here! Just getting started on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't know how good a course is in relation to learning photography. It's pretty straight forward to learn the basics of photography, as in how to use the camera and what the settings are.

I've bought a number of books, I kept buying the beginners books assuming I was missing something in the last book but most basic books just tell you how to use a camera not really how to get the particular style of photo your after.

I bought "Digital photography masterclass" by Tom Ang and he gets the basics out of the way in the first chapter and then goes into every detail of composing photos. The beginners books are a waste of time in my opinion. Go for a more advanced book.

After that it's practice and trial and error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭pedatron

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't know how good a course is in relation to learning photography. It's pretty straight forward to learn the basics of photography, as in how to use the camera and what the settings are.

I've bought a number of books, I kept buying the beginners books assuming I was missing something in the last book but most basic books just tell you how to use a camera not really how to get the particular style of photo your after.

I bought "Digital photography masterclass" by Tom Ang and he gets the basics out of the way in the first chapter and then goes into every detail of composing photos. The beginners books are a waste of time in my opinion. Go for a more advanced book.

After that it's practice and trial and error.

Thanks ScumLord. I get what your saying. You could read a million books but you can't beat giving it a go. I'll have a look at that book too! Cheers!

• Advertisement
Advertisement