Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visitors to Library

Options
  • 17-01-2013 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi all
    I'm writing up a dissertation but can't easily get to dublin for research. I live in Louth and wonder if the DKIT library is open for visitors. I'd be mainly using the library for a quiet place to study away fro kids!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

I would suggest you contact DKIT library directly and ask them if you can read there. They may ask you to get a letter of intro from your own college library.

Do NOT say it is just for a quiet place to read. Say you need to consult some of their bookstock while you are based in the Dundalk area.

You will only be allowed use hard copy materials - you will not be given access to anything online.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 longvacation

thanks
    will do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

As far as im aware the library is defo open to the public, you often see people who clearly arent students and some school kids using it come exam time. And they're not doin it on the sly either.

I think you have to sign in at the desk to get a pc login if you need one. if not just walk in sit down and work away.

Says open to public on the link below..
    https://ww2.dkit.ie/library/services_and_facilities/location_and_opening_hours

Oh. Thats not at all like the library in my college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Oh. Thats not at all like the library in my college.

To use the PCs you will need a student login which students get when receiving their student ID cards.

I would say there wouldn't be a problem studying in there.

As for using library books, renting them would definitely have to be checked ahead with the college and to be honest I would say renting books is for students only.

There is a quiet study area on the second floor of the library. Sounds like that would be of benefit to you.

• Advertisement

Sorry but I hate using the word "renting" for library books. Surely the word is borrowing?

Sorry but I hate using the word "renting" for library books. Surely the word is borrowing?
    Grand, sure. I'd say you'd enjoy the thesaurus section anyway.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

It was closed after 5pm all last week. Part Time students have a load of assignments to hand in by next Friday. Absolute joke of a decision considering most part time students work during the day and only have evenings to work on these assignments.

cournioni wrote: »
    It was closed after 5pm all last week. Part Time students have a load of assignments to hand in by next Friday. Absolute joke of a decision considering most part time students work during the day and only have evenings to work on these assignments.

That's ridiculous alright. Is it open at the weekends?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

That's ridiculous alright. Is it open at the weekends?
    Not sure LS, I didn't venture away from home to check just in case it wasn't open. Was tight enough for time as it was! :)

According to one of the girls in my course, who was speaking to one of the librarians, said it had something to do with cost cutting measures. They could have at least timed it a bit better. Even last year they shut at 9pm when our exams were on whereas the year before they shut at 11pm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement