Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snow and weather updates.

• 17-01-2013 10:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭

So with the chance of games being called off this game week ,id thought i would start a thread so people can give any updates on the weather or info on canceled games.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Good job. I'm praying the games aren't affected. Will be in London this weekend and most likely out of action FF wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

roryc wrote: »
    Good job. I'm praying the games aren't affected. Will be in London this weekend and most likely out of action FF wise.
    I'm hoping the double game week is canceled,a lot of people in my league have got in arsenal players and I still have my free transfer and wild card.

Surely if there is any doubt the games wouldn't go ahead they would give a heads up to the fans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

BBC have changed there London forecast to snow from tomorrow until Tuesday. It's also fecking freezing here and it's only gonna get worse.

I think cancelled games are inevitable but I don't think there'll be any news before the deadline.

Having a spread of players across fixtures and having a full squad of 15 playing players is about all you can do to prepare imo.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I think cancelled games are inevitable

Is it that bad? I'm more worried about being f**king freezing all weekend. Haven't seen the wrong side of 10 degrees in years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Is it that bad? I'm more worried about being f**king freezing all weekend. Haven't seen the wrong side of 10 degrees in years...

It's an icecold 15C here in Malta at the moment. Wish this winter would end already.

• Advertisement

Well it's been bad all week and it's gonna get worse. They're saying tomorrow is going to be as bad as Christmas 2010 which was just a **** storm of snow.

I think Sunday could be ok but there could be a few Saturday games in danger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

From MT in the weather forum. This guy is good. I even use him for American forecasts at times. Looks like there is a big chance snow could affect games.

Forecasts for Britain

TODAY ... Cloudy, cold, some outbreaks of snow or (in southwest only) rain, highs about 5 C in southwest and western Scotland, 2-4 C coasts of Wales and northwest England, -3 to -1 C elsewhere. Some freezing fog and icy roads especially where snow has already fallen.

TONIGHT ... Rain in west and southwest, foggy, windy, mixing with snow by morning, snow developing further east towards morning, clear intervals and very cold in eastern England, ice fog in places. Lows in a large range, from about +5 C in Cornwall and near Cardigan Bay to zero in the west Midlands and south central England to -10 C over snow cover in eastern England and generally from +3 C in western Scotland to -7 C inland and eastern regions.

FRIDAY ... Widespread snowfalls of 5-15 cm with local 20 cm accumulations, rain turning to snow in Wales and northwest England, western Scotland, but rain continuing in southwest England where highs 5-7 C. Otherwise temperatures will fall steadily in west to near -3 C and stay very cold in the east near -6 C.

WEEKEND OUTLOOK ... Further snow, risk of stormy mixed wintry conditions in southwest by Sunday, locally heavy snow streamers in eastern England, but some dry areas too, ice fog and lows around -10 C in rural areas, highs around -4 C, trending to near 3 C in south coast and 5 C in southwest.

From MT in the weather forum. This guy is good. I even use him for American forecasts at times. Looks like there is a big chance snow could affect games.

Yeh he's eerily accurate. Hope he's wrong this time though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

And,,M.E. have updated their forecast for next week...

Not looking good at all..

WARNING for next week: There is a high probability of a severely cold week. Maxima are predicted to be in low single figures with severe air and ground frosts at night. Strong easterly winds up to mid-week will produce significant wind chill and make it feel bitterly cold everywhere. Some snow showers are possible especially in the east and south where there may be some accumulations but for most areas it will be mainly dry. Freezing fog may develop over the second half of the week as the winds drop and sub-zero temperatures then may persist during daytime.

http://www.rte.ie/weather/

So realistically, what games are least likely to be called off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

So realistically, what games are least likely to be called off?
    there won't be many games off imo
    we had this weather last few years & not many were called off

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Rory C I have visions of you on Sky sports news shovelling snow off the Stamford bridge pitch with a load of volunteers to make sure the Chelsea Arsenal game goes ahead.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Rory C I have visions of you on Sky sports news shovelling snow off the Stamford bridge pitch with a load of volunteers to make sure the Chelsea Arsenal game goes ahead.:)

That's why he's in London for the weekend.

Something has to stop the rot in my FF team...

Based on my uneducated and uninformed opinion, I would be bring in any West Brom, Villa, Newcastle or Reading players today or tomorrow.

Based on my uneducated and uninformed opinion, I would be bring in any West Brom, Villa, Newcastle or Reading players today or tomorrow.

Would be brilliant if MM's tactic of 3 Reading players actually worked out because of the snow

Ha, that was meant to say wouldn't.

Those 2 ties would be the ones I'd be most worried about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Ha, that was meant to say wouldn't.

Those 2 ties would be the ones I'd be most worried about.

Is it not London that is being worst hit?

Games nowadays are generally called off to avoid fans travelling rather than problems with the pitch - unless the snow at the time of the game means playing is not possible as the pitch can't be cleared.

Villa WBA is a local derby so none of the fans would have far to travel. Therefore I'd see it as one of the least games under threat.

The same could be argued for Arsenal Chelsea. Was it not Arsenal's game against Newcastle that was called off one of the seasons because they didn't want the Newcastle fans travelling down from the North?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

zerks wrote: »

Woah
    We warn the public and emergency responders of severe or hazardous weather which has the potential to cause danger to life or widespread disruption through our National Severe Weather Warning Service.

Edit: i can see Fergie complaining about the snow. RVP could be killed!!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

With major snow promised for Wales I'm pretty sure that the Swansea vs Stoke game will be called off.

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

13011818_1700.gif

Here is the expected snow from one of the models for Friday afternoon.

13011900_1706.gif

The above is Saturday morning.

I'm going to make a prediction. There is no way that the Swansea vs Stoke game goes ahead if the amount of snow as predicted by the models happen.

For the Saturday games what we have to be on the look out here is snow Friday evening through the night. That will dictate whether matches get called off as I don't think that snow will clear.

North West England certainly looks in danger. With regards to the Saturday games I think that the Newcastle vs Reading game should be safe, the West Ham vs QPR and West Brom vs Villa could well be ok.

I'd be very worried about Swansea vs Stoke and I think Liverpool vs Norwich and Man City vs Fulham could be in danger as Wigan vs Sunderland.

With regards to Sunday, both games could well be called off if there is heavy snow accumalations over Friday and Saturday. Its probably too early to call that one, better off to wait for the weekend.

This is not a definite, I'm only going by what the charts are giving me. You can draw you're own interpretations from this. All I know is that I've got three Stoke and Swansea defenders and at least one of them is going out pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

Just saying that out of games that were cancelled in the past, alot were because of conditions around the stadium that would affect the safety of fans. Happened with Arsenal before I think

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

This thread just shows why most of us win our mini leagues every year. I mentioned to my mate to hold off on transfers till sat morning due to the weather. He said how do you think of this stuff, between rotating keepers ,making a profit on your wildcard , having a cheap 5th midfielder and now considering the weather is it any wonder you win our league every year. He hasnt discovered boards yet. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Ares wrote: »

Here is the expected snow from one of the models for Friday afternoon.

The above is Saturday morning.

I'm going to make a prediction. There is no way that the Swansea vs Stoke game goes ahead if the amount of snow as predicted by the models happen.

For the Saturday games what we have to be on the look out here is snow Friday evening through the night. That will dictate whether matches get called off as I don't think that snow will clear.

North West England certainly looks in danger. With regards to the Saturday games I think that the Newcastle vs Reading game should be safe, the West Ham vs QPR and West Brom vs Villa could well be ok.

I'd be very worried about Swansea vs Stoke and I think Liverpool vs Norwich and Man City vs Fulham could be in danger as Wigan vs Sunderland.

With regards to Sunday, both games could well be called off if there is heavy snow accumalations over Friday and Saturday. Its probably too early to call that one, better off to wait for the weekend.

This is not a definite, I'm only going by what the charts are giving me. You can draw you're own interpretations from this. All I know is that I've got three Stoke and Swansea defenders and at least one of them is going out pretty quickly.

Assuming that these games you are worried about are cancelled, and the ones you think are safe go ahead, I'll have 4 players playing (this isn't including the arsenal west ham game midweek).

So my team will line up as follows:

Foster (c)

Clark - O'Brien

Puncheon.

The old reliable 2-1-0 formation.
    Team value: 18.9 million.
    Optomistic points prediction: 16

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,623 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I can confirm that is snowing extraordinary amounts in Austria.

Take from that what you will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

CSF wrote: »
    I can confirm that is snowing extraordinary amounts in Austria.

Take from that what you will.

players of Austrian fantasy football will be furious

Ivica Vastic for captain?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭orkkukunkku

- 27 c, I'm freezing in my iglu with polar bears and stuff. But seriously when we might get information about possible cancellations? Tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Ah Bollix why did I play my wc this week :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Cracker of a thread, I'll add my 2cent. Looks like snow Ted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Don't mind Transfer Deadline Day, this gameweek deadline & snow watch is going to be EPIC :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

was at home there listening to the games that were off on sky sports news, all lower league so far but it reminded me of tuning into to the CKR radio to see if my school would be called out for a snow day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,065 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Saints v Everton in doubt as underground heating broke apparently

Southampton v Everton game in doubt on Monday, Southampton's under soil heating is broke. (Not a wind up) @Everton @EvertonArentWe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭Invincible

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Saints v Everton in doubt as underground heating broke apparently

Southampton v Everton game in doubt on Monday, Southampton's under soil heating is broke. (Not a wind up) @Everton @EvertonArentWe

Might give Southampton a chance to familiarise Pochettino with his new team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Invincible wrote: »

Might give Southampton a chance to familiarise Pochettino with his new team.

Would be happy with that as I've only Puncheon from those two and it'd stop Fellaini and Lambert playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

temps as low as -4 and -5 due in London on Sat and Sun, as well as predicted snowfall today and tomorrow. Then more snow on Tues ahead of Arsenal West Ham game. this could be carnage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

GW23-Snow-Watch-B-200.gif

Swansea City and the Liberty Stadium remain hopeful that tomorrow's Barclays Premier League match will go ahead as scheduled.

We can report that the Liberty Stadium pitch is fine and that the surrounding areas have been cleared of any snow that has fallen today.

There are also no issues with the main roads in the immediate vicinity of the stadium.

Any further updates throughout the day will be made on both Clubs website and the Liberty Stadium official website, so please keep in contact for any further news.

Webcam

London is covered in snow though and it's still falling.

• Advertisement

Webcam

London is covered in snow though and it's still falling.
    That pitch looks 100 percent

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭MattHelders

That pitch looks 100 percent

It's not the pitch that matters. It's usually the surrounding area is why PL games are called off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

seeing as there's no captain thread yet i'll post my little gem of advice in here.

when picking your captain this week pick your vice captain from a different game, preferably even a different part of the country.

the temptation might be to put walcott as captain and say cazorla/podolski as v.c but if one game is called off the both will miss out (i know arsenal have two fixtures but the reason people are picking arsenal players is because of the dgw, and it might not even be cleared for the midweek game) so safer bets would be walcott as captain and then suarez/tevez (different area of the country) as vice captain.

Hogey007 wrote: »
    seeing as there's no captain thread yet i'll post my little gem of advice in here.

when picking your captain this week pick your vice captain from a different game, preferably even a different part of the country.

the temptation might be to put walcott as captain and say cazorla/podolski as v.c but if one game is called off the both will miss out (i know arsenal have two fixtures but the reason people are picking arsenal players is because of the dgw, and it might not even be cleared for the midweek game) so safer bets would be walcott as captain and then suarez/tevez (different area of the country) as vice captain.

I like your thinking sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭Invincible

Hogey007 wrote: »

Now Hogey, that's a good strategy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

Living in Newcastle. Can see the top of St. James Park from my kitchen. I can confirm it's snowing heavily here and has been for a few hours. Fair accumulation of snow here now.

Living in Newcastle. Can see the top of St. James Park from my kitchen. I can confirm it's snowing heavily here and has been for a few hours. Fair accumulation of snow here now.
    Would like to see that one off.

West Brom v Villa under threat. Another one with no real impact for me.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/21078417

• Advertisement
Advertisement