Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strength Gym Limerick

• 17-01-2013 11:35am
    Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭

I'm recently back from oz and I'm looking for a strength gym in Limerick.

-chalk
    -loud noises
    -good bars including SSB and trap bar
    -belts
    -bumpers
    -dropping weights or 'deloading' if you want to be pc
    -prowlers tyres kettle bells boxes bands chains
    -power cages or squat racks or stands

I would consider myself a novice but I'd like a place where if you ask someone to spot you they a) don't look at you like you've ten heads and b) actually know how to spot safely.

My training has had a powerlifting slant so far but I am not closed to other methodologies (strongman, oly).

I've been to UL recently and am strongly considering joining it just seems very busy. Some of the bars are fairly crap and there's no chalk (that I could see, don't really know if its not allowed). I am keen to try some oly coaching (have only tried hang cleans up to now) and this seems to be the place for that.

I am aware of patrickswell powerlifting but afaik they train equipped (don't really want to do that yet) and only certain days/times.

Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Try Eastway Fitness out in the Eastway Business Pk http://www.eastwayfitnessclub.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

UL

Bring your own chalk. Its allowed.

I left UL because of the crowds and it generally being full of idiots.( I'm not much of a people person) It is a very well equipped gym. I dont know where you got some of the bars are crap from. maybe you just got a bad one.

They have a decent stock of elieko oly lifting and powerlifting bars, a texas power bar, a GPC type squat bar ( slightly thicker) 2 x 8ft squat bars, a selection of camber bars, 3 x fat bars, 2 x logs.....i think they have some curl thingys as well but they arent important.

If you want coaching UL is the place. Check out Cathal Byrde. You cant really go wrong.

Eastwayfitness looks like a very good facility. I haven't been myself yet but have only heard good things. IPO have recently announced that Limerick Powerlifting Club will be training there coached by Shane Brodie. Cant really go wrong there either..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭COH

Eastway looks like a class set up.. If I had the misfortune to live in Limerick I'd prob train there myself :D

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

UL

Bring your own chalk. Its allowed.

I left UL because of the crowds and it generally being full of idiots.( I'm not much of a people person) It is a very well equipped gym. I dont know where you got some of the bars are crap from. maybe you just got a bad one.

They have a decent stock of elieko oly lifting and powerlifting bars, a texas power bar, a GPC type squat bar ( slightly thicker) 2 x 8ft squat bars, a selection of camber bars, 3 x fat bars, 2 x logs.....i think they have some curl thingys as well but they arent important.

If you want coaching UL is the place. Check out Cathal Byrde. You cant really go wrong.

Eastwayfitness looks like a very good facility. I haven't been myself yet but have only heard good things. IPO have recently announced that Limerick Powerlifting Club will be training there coached by Shane Brodie. Cant really go wrong there either..

I was benching there the other night and my hands felt like they were sliding a bit. It was only 90kg, but I do have sweaty hands. I suppose I'm more used to heavy knurling! I do like texas bars... like cheesegraters for the hands (before anyone says it, no I would not bench with a texas bar...)

Good options. I think I'll do a session or two out in eastway and then make up my mind.

I suppose what I'm looking for is training with a group of likeminded individuals. More important really than nice gear.

Big_G wrote: »
    I was benching there the other night and my hands felt like they were sliding a bit. It was only 90kg, but I do have sweaty hands. I suppose I'm more used to heavy knurling! I do like texas bars... like cheesegraters for the hands (before anyone says it, no I would not bench with a texas bar...)

Good options. I think I'll do a session or two out in eastway and then make up my mind.

I suppose what I'm looking for is training with a group of likeminded individuals. More important really than nice gear.

Well if you looking for a crew

Eastway for powerlifting with the IPO crew.

UL for weightlifting.

400kg squats in multiply gear from a monolift then Patrickswell Powerlifting Club.

• Advertisement

That seems like a concise summary drifter. I think I might get in touch with Cathal and get some oly lift coaching and also take a trip out to east way and see what they're about out there. Thanks.

I'm really just starting with strength training, I'm eager to learn.

Good luck with it!

Get a training log going!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭aria1

http://ofplimerick.com/ might also suit.

I train there, and get adhoc PL coaching from Cathal at UL.
    UL is too expensive for what I need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Drifter pretty much summed up your options there. Im in Eastway myself, ticks all the boxes for what you want. Bring your own chalk though.

Olympic Lifting coaching starting this month i believe. LPC train mon, wed, fri

P.S. just to note they have a monolift now too alongside the power rack. For the history nerds it was supposedly the first monolift ever in Ireland, its initial home was southill :-)

ronanc15 wrote: »
    Drifter pretty much summed up your options there. Im in Eastway myself, ticks all the boxes for what you want. Bring your own chalk though.

Olympic Lifting coaching starting this month i believe. LPC train mon, wed, fri

P.S. just to note they have a monolift now too alongside the power rack. For the history nerds it was supposedly the first monolift ever in Ireland, its initial home was southill :-)

did that monolift not go to dublin when it left south hill...

whos coaching the oly lifting out of eastway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭COH

Yeah it did, was surprised to see it back in Limerick. The day I was buying stuff in Southhill I was offered it and it very nearly came home with me but I had nowhere to keep it and no way to get it to Dublin at short notice. Still regret not buying it!

whos coaching the oly lifting out of eastway?

Yep and Shane & co bought it the other day then I believe.

Darragh O Boyle im told is doing the oly lifting

Wow lots more options than I had anticipated. The best thing for me to do is get down and lift in these places and see what they're all about. Cheers guys. I'm eager to get back into it. Haven't deadlifted in 7 weeks. I'm in withdrawal. Magnus would not be happy.

ronanc15 wrote: »
    Yep and Shane & co bought it the other day then I believe.

Darragh O Boyle im told is doing the oly lifting

glad to see it back in limerick! and in a home where it is bound to see some big numbers.Was sorry to see southill go loads of history there.

I need to stop talking about lifting now before i get notions.....:p

runs off to work on my kipping pullup...

glad to see it back in limerick! and in a home where it is bound to see some big numbers.Was sorry to see southill go loads of history there.

I need to stop talking about lifting now before i get notions.....:p

[SIZE="1"]runs off to work on my kipping pullup...[/SIZE]

Haha the temptation. Keep an eye on the LPC facebook page, some vids starting to pop up of some good figures

74503_10151430467532448_419574550_n.jpg

nice!!!!

You can see a small bit of the gear in that corner too including the fat bar, blocks etc. 10 new olympic bars and 4 new squat racks ordered too afaik

Advertisement