Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Services card

Options
  • 17-01-2013 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭

Is a Public Services Card with photo accepted as photo ID by the bank.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi craoltoir,

Thanks for your query. We're still looking into this for you. I will post back here as soon as I have a definite answer for you.

Thanks
    Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Hi craoltoir,

Thanks for your query. We're still looking into this for you. I will post back here as soon as I have a definite answer for you.

Thanks
    Pat

Hi Pat. Do you have any update on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

sitstill wrote: »
    Hi Pat. Do you have any update on this?
    Great. Thanks for the update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi,

Apologies sitstill, we missed your request for an update. Sorry for the delay. We are still waiting for confirmation on whether or not the Public Services Card can be accepted as a valid form of photo ID. I have asked again today for this confirmation and will post back here as soon as I hear back. 

Thanks for your patience.
    Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

I notice this query has not been answered yet! A PSC card is issued by the state and actually requires the holder to attend in person at the Department of Social Protection where a photograph is taken. It should be as acceptable as a passport for ID purposes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sean

craoltoir wrote: »
    I notice this query has not been answered yet! A PSC card is issued by the state and actually requires the holder to attend in person at the Department of Social Protection where a photograph is taken. It should be as acceptable as a passport for ID purposes.
    Hi craoltoir,

Apologies for the delay in answering this query.

After looking into this for you the PSC card is not an acceptable form of Photo ID.  Accepted forms of Photo ID must contain a Date of Birth and the PSC card does not have a date of birth on it.  

The current accepted forms of Photo ID in branches are as follows:
    • Passport;
    • A valid Drivers Licence(ROI & UK);
    • Current National ID card(EU).
    [*]

We do continually review acceptable forms of Photo ID and we will look further into options with the PSC card.

Thanks for posting.

Seán

Legislation requires financial institutions to confirm an customer's identity. It is wrong to suggest that the PSC card issued by the state that has a photo, name and PSP number on it does not meet this requirement. The card does of course have a date of birth on it but it is encrypted.

A European Health Insurance Card issued by the HSE has your name, PSP number and date of birth on it. If you need to clarify date of birth, and I do not see this mentioned in legislation, this should be sufficient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Hi Craoltoir,

Thank you for you feedback and we have taken your comments on board. 

We will continue to review this issue, however at the present time the PSC card is not an acceptable form of identification.

We appreciate you taking the time to get in touch.

Thanks.

Elaine

• Subscribers Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭.BrianJM

Hi, any update on the review?

Proof of identity for banking purposes. (from the anti-money-laundering legislation)
    =======================================

You can prove your identity by producing one of the following:
    •1: A valid passport
     •2: A current Irish driving licence
     •3: A National Age Card (issued by An Garda Siochana)
     •4: An identification form with a photograph signed by a member of An Garda Siochana
     •5: Documents issued by Government departments showing your name

Surely the PSC will satisfy condition '5'.
    If you insist on date of birth then '5' could be backed up with some other government issued document which shows D.o.B. or a birth certificate.

Historical:
    When PostBank started I opened an account and they accepted my government issued free travel (photo)pass and birth certificate.
    When they closed I moved to Danske Bank and was accepted with the same documents as ID.
    Now that they are closing I need an account elsewhere so that I can have a substantial sum securely looked after.

ThankYou.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi Auld-Yin [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thank you for your post.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Apologies, this may not be the answer you were anticipating. There is no change to accepting the PSC card as photo identification. If this does change, we will certainly advise through our usual channels. Thank you very much for your interest.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Alison[/font]

• Advertisement

Basically, you're saying the bank want customers who can afford to run a car and/or travel abroad and that the remainder of the legislation does not apply to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi Auld-Yin[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]We are sorry you are unhappy with this, we do accept the several forms of identification mentioned by Sean previously. Unfortunately, PSC card cannot be accepted.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Alison[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Do you now accept the Public Services Card? It is the strongest way to authenticate your identity in Ireland according to the Department of Social Protection. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kareana

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Do you now accept the Public Services Card? It is the strongest way to authenticate your identity in Ireland according to the Department of Social Protection. 
    Hi Delta2113,

Thanks for contacting us here on Boards. 

We accept the new Public Service card that contains your photograph as form of ID.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can help you with. 

Thanks,

Kareana

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi Delta2113,

Sorry for our previous answer on this, we've been advised that the Public Services Card is not accepted as photo id for account opening or withdrawals.

Thanks,
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

Hi Delta2113,

Thanks for contacting us here on Boards. 

We accept the new Public Service card that contains your photograph as form of ID.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can help you with. 

Thanks,

Kareana

Hi Delta2113,

Sorry for our previous answer on this, we've been advised that the Public Services Card is not accepted as photo id for account opening or withdrawals.

Thanks,
    Tara
    One step forward, two steps back.... As per usual..

What's wrong with the PSC as a form of ID..?

With some people, its all they've got..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi Delta2113,

Thanks,
    Tara
    One step forward, two steps back.... As per usual..

What's wrong with the PSC as a form of ID..?

With some people, its all they've got..
    Hi georgefalls,

Thanks for your post.

Are you in the process of opening an account with us at the moment? Sorry, we haven't been provided with the reasons why the Public Services Card isn't accepted. We can accept Passport or Drivers Licence for account opening photo id.

Thanks
    Tara

Time for call Joe Duffy radio show. This is so wrong. People also need to raise this with local T.D. This card is the most secure photo I'D in this state and you don't accept it - pitiful.

Also giving me the wrong answer the first time shows the shambolic set up in your department. I'd like to stress I have nothing against the chat agents from BOI on boards.ie.

I raised this issue with another financial institution a number of years ago. I also referred the matter to the Ombudsman. End result was confirmation from the Financial Institution in question that they accept the PSC card as photo ID with effect from September 2013 (and that there was a misunderstanding in the Branch when they said it was not acceptable). I also received a nominal payment for "my troubles".

Indeed, in order to obtain a passport for the first time you now have to have a PSC first. A PSC card is also accepted as photo ID when applying for a driving licence. 

• Advertisement

Sorry, we haven't been provided with the reasons why the Public Services Card isn't accepted.

Ms Tara or one of her colleagues should ask their superiors, WHY? I would find it embarrassing to say 'you can't do that, but I've no idea why!'

Postbank & Danske Bank accepted the PSC when they were trading. An Post & AIB, (and most likely, other organisations), currently accept the card.

It seems the bank was quite willing to accept taxpayers' money for a bailout, but they don't want the same taxpayers to use their services.

This is not going away - we need to be told why BOI don't accept the Public Services Card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

Hi All,

Thanks for all your comments on this. We're just checking to see if we can get more information on this and we'll update this thread if we do.

Thanks again,
    Darren.

Thanks Darren once again it is the strongest way to authenticate your identity in Ireland as per the Department of Social Protection and BOI don't accept it -  a crazy situation which makes no sense.

Hi All,

Thanks for all your comments on this. We're just checking to see if we can get more information on this and we'll update this thread if we do.

Thanks again,
    Darren.

Any update?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

It seems incredibly strange that AIB accept it for the same purpose with both banks being governed by the same rules. It looks like this is just a case of a long standing policy not having been challenged at the right level. As someone in the thread pointed out the best thing to do is contact the ombudsman and vote with your feet and use AIB instead.  

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kareana

Hi,

Thank you all for your posts.

We really appreciate the feedback.

We don't have any update on this at the moment.

Please be assured we will let you guys know if there is any update.

Thanks,

Kareana  

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Mod: Hi folks, while this is an important matter to many, can we refrain from attacking the reps please. As they've said, they will be able to let you know if the situation changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Mod: Hi folks, while this is an important matter to many, can we refrain from attacking the reps please. As they've said, they will be able to let you know if the situation changes.
    I attacked the service not the reps. Glad to see boards supporting their commercial interest than that of the user. Thanks Mark.

• Advertisement

I can't find any post attacking a rep. I'm often thanking reps for help.

Advertisement