Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best anime to show

Options
  • 17-01-2013 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Yo,

Best anime to show to people that never watch anime before, not so that they'll get into anime but something different to watch. Thnking Bebop because everything about it is cool and the music is justepic. Its not to outlandish aswell and easy to pick up the story

Don't want to show them something too girly or just... Too anime-y if you get my drift. Some thing along the lines of Red lagoon (think thats the name)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Show the first episode of Berzerk or Slayers? :p

Anyway since we're on the topic (and I've struggled with it myself); I'm looking at introducing my wife to anime. Can't be shooty/explosive based, has to make sense from episode one and no fluffy panties or similar or play like a Hollywood soap from the 90s. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Frolick wrote: »
    Red lagoon (think thats the name)

You mean Black Lagoon? Yeah, its a good show, anyone who likes action films will love it.

Still think your right with Bebop, amazing show and if theyre not in love with it after listening to the intro then just never speak to them again as they have no taste.....

Could also try Baccano! after that, does veer a bit more into "anime-y" than the other 2 but everyone loves prohibition era gangsters.....that are immortal....and the plot jumps all over the place....

Nody wrote: »
    Anyway since we're on the topic (and I've struggled with it myself); I'm looking at introducing my wife to anime. Can't be shooty/explosive based, has to make sense from episode one and no fluffy panties or similar or play like a Hollywood soap from the 90s. Any ideas?

Yeah....think your on your own. Only thing I can think of that fills your needs outside of violence and/or super girly-chibi-eyes bigger than hands shows are Slice of Life shows and then theres the whole "yeah its about highschool girls....wait...put the phone down....oh hello officer!!" topic that will arise.

If were me I would try Spice&Wolf, but I am still a novice in watching animes so my library is a bit limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Death Note is a gateway anime for a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 alienacademy

Try Bleach my favourit
    have really good action, comedy and music

• Registered Users Posts: 30 alienacademy

Downlinz wrote: »
    Death Note is a gateway anime for a lot of people.

heard much about it but never watched it !
    after completing bleach i will definately try it

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you could start off by showing her some small ovas, the kenshin ones are pretty good or some movies.. get her used to the idea of anime = not neccesarily being absolute ****e

voices of a distant star, the place promised in our early days, paprika.. etc etc. once she's accepted that cartoons can have worthwile stories and good characters, you could branch out into your bebops or rahxephons or even a paranoia agent/lain/haibane renmei type show

actaully.. it's been a good while since i watched it.. but i dont think ergo proxy had much in the way of shooty shooty splosion action and it was a pretty good show for hooking you in, wanting to know just what the story was with what was going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Sailor Moon.

It was good enough in the 90s, it's good enough now.

Or just ask "do you mind if it's a cartoon?"

Nah, just joking.

Show her almost anything by Studio Ghibli.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd recommend Summer Wars. Just rewatched it t'other night and it reminded me how smart and accessible it is, and how much of an injustice it is that it never really made a dent outside of the enthusiast anime community. If it was made in America (although given its themes it couldn't have been made in America) it would have been beloved. Made in Japan, it is destined for nothing more than cult appreciation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Thomas-G

If you're not trying to get them into anime just show them something you think they'll like based on their tastes in other media. Jormungand is a good one if you want something Black Lagoon-y.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Icarian

Princess Mononoke or Howls Moving Castle by Studio Ghibli are good choices. Full Metal Alchemist dodges many tropes of the genre, has a well paced and mature storyline. Afro Samurai may be good too if they like violent action, hip hop music, and having Sam Jackson as a VA will make it seem more approachable. Try to avoid anything with gratuitous fan service... which unfortunately is most anime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭craze7

Wolf's Rain is a great entry anima I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Supermensch

Been mentioned, but if you're looking for something different and not typical of anime as opposed to just introducing someone to the genre(?), try Serial Experiments Lain. A little heavy, think 2001: A Space Odyssey, but a good series.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

If your friend's a car nut, go for Initial D. That was my gateway anime.

If they like robots, go for Gurren Lagann. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

My "gateway" was Lucky Star, so I'd recommend that, or possibly Azumanga Daioh. Funny without being girly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'd say some studio ghibli film, or death note.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

If looking for something with realism, you could try Planetes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

TekkonKinKreet blew my socks off.

Sumptuous visuals, riveting storyline and beautiful music (Plaid)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Frolick

If your friend's a car nut, go for Initial D. That was my gateway anime.
    Oh? Must get that so.

Well its for housemates mates. they said that they'd be interested in watching whatever, one i know is big into foot ball and music, so i was thinking Beck (been ages since i've seen it)
    The other housemate who is a she... yeah, i haven't a clue what she likes apart from reading.

Is that new anime Psycho-Pass anygood? Only saw the first ep and was impressed. Play it safe with a action-y based anime
    My "gateway" was Lucky Star, so I'd recommend that, or possibly Azumanga Daioh.
    Azumanga is one of my all time favorite shows but i think it will be a tad too much from them :(

I'm planning on showing a ghibli film regardless. Great movies. Noted other two.
    Thanks for replies!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Psycho-Pass is bloody awesome. Just be prepared to consider deep philosophical questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

If your housemate likes music, try "Kids on the Slope", focuses on jazz. Have heard very good things about it round these parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

Death note i'd agree with too. As a first.

Advertisement