Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Music Fans

Options
  • 17-01-2013 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭

Everyone has a certain group of music fans they dislike, whether it's fans of a certain genre or a certain artist. This is your chance to let everyone know who you think are the worst group of music fans.

My own personal top 5:

5. Juggalos
    In case you didn't know a Juggalo is the name given to a fan of hip-hop group Insane Clown Posse. If ICP aren't bad enough their fans are even worse. They like to wear ridiculous face paint, ridiculous clothes, act like douchebags and show a noticeable lack of intelligence. Thankfully Juggalos seem to be very rare in Ireland, or at people who actually give a damn about ICP, but any Juggalos I've encountered over the internet had me face-palming in disbelief. Guys, stop inbreeding :)

4. Trve kvlt metalheads
    I like metal quite a lot, but of course there's always a group of fans that turn their nose up at anything not resembling metal in fear of being seen as 'gay'. What's even worse is fans turning their noses up at anything that wasn't recorded in a freezing Norwegian forest on a busted 4-track recorder between the years of 1987 and 1993. Guys, be adventurous.

3. Musically-oblivious pop fans
    You know the types. If it's not in the charts it's quite obviously shit. An artist's musical merit is somehow based on their record sales and the number of MTV awards or Grammys they've received. Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera 'revolutionised' music and Whitney Houston is a musical goddess. Guys, you're missing out on so much music.

2. Beliebers
    An even worse subset of the musically-oblivious pop fan. Despite Justin Bieber being a completely harmless and innocent teen pop money maker, his fans are some of the most downright aggressive people on the planet. Any criticism of his musical abilities results in a volley of abuse, physical threats and even death threats from his army of followers. Guys, just relax!

1. Classic rock bores
    There are of course a large group of people who think that anything released after 1979 is not worth the time of day or that music hasn't evolved since. Because of course Kurt Cobain can't play guitar as good as Jimmy Page and electronic music isn't "real music". They cling with pride onto their vinyl and think that vinyl is the only format you can actually listen to music on, because of course "collecting mp3 is like collecting farts in a jar". Guys, enjoy listening to friggin Queen records for the rest of your lives :rolleyes:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

1. People like your good self who think they are above everyone else. Who, for some reason, feel the need to badmouth other people and their music taste.

Thats about the only "list" i need.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I would say that while in some respects there are surely differences between a person who has a great interest in music, and someone who takes a casual interest. It's not that I would categorize that distinction, but most people would probably find it more stimulating to have a conversation with others who are at a similar level of music interest to what they have.

The only exceptions are obviously the people who take it too far, like Justin Bieber fans who become rough at the sound of any form of criticism, some people just need to accept its another person's opinion whether or not they like a particular type of music, it shouldn't go any further than that.

Admittedly I've only broadened my appreciation very recently, as many of you would have also seen from my posts in these forums. I've always had an interest in music to some degree, whether it be liking the Pokemon theme song, or having portable CD players (like I did) before MP3's came along, it just took a while for me to have the motivation to look further.

I think a lot of people can be encouraged to find a lot more music if you show them how much variety there really is out there. I used to really dislike rap/ hip hop until I knew there was so much, and that when you look beyond what the mainstream media always puts out, there are many out there with a lot of genuine musical talent. The same goes for electronic music, and people who think its not "real", thing is you can do a lot more with a laptop than you can with just an acoustic guitar, Thom Yorke said that some time ago and you can really see it if you hear his solo album or the last 5 Radiohead albums.

Then you have singer-songwriters who many think are just derivative men with acoustic guitars singing sad melancholic love songs, but that argument doesn't say anything about Josh Rouses' 1972 album, which is quite upbeat and a lot of uplifting songs, albeit some about women just not in an Ed-Sheeran Lego House kind way.

Nowadays I generally look for as much music as I can, whether it be through pitchfork, lastfm, here, word-of-mouth by friends, and the more artists I find the more I learn of the variety I didn't initially think existed. I get bored of listening to one or only a few genres all the time, and I never get why some people prefer that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Melion wrote: »
    1. People like your good self who think they are above everyone else. Who, for some reason, feel the need to badmouth other people and their music taste.

Thats about the only "list" i need.

+1. Where music is concerned, I am a firm believer in the idea of "to each their own".

It matters not to me what colour people paint their face, how they dress, what medium they use to listen to their music etc.

Once they dont pose any threat to society, I could not care less. :)

Life is too short to let such trivial things bother me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

you OP, you're the worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Some people are taking this thread far too seriously :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Zero1986 wrote: »

You asked for peoples opinion, the majority wont agree with you. Nobody is taking it seriously, just calling you out on the rubbish you posted.

What music do you listen to? Maybe it wont suit someone elses taste and they will be able to pigeon-hole you into a pathetic little group like you did to others.

What music do you listen to?
    A bit of this and a bit of that :)

Far from it !!

I am actually amused that with all the interesting musical debates available, you come up with this drival. :D

• Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭SubBusted

Thankfully Juggalos seem to be very rare in Ireland,
    I've seen people in Dublin with that ICP facepaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Chikablam

Kvlts are hilarious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Zero's list has nothing to do with people's tastes, but everything to do with people's behaviour as a result of their tastes.

It's not uncommon - with respect to every single genre - that people will choose to believe that they hold a niche interest and are in some way unique because of it, and will act disingenuously as a result.

Sinfonia wrote: »
    Zero's list has nothing to do with people's tastes, but everything to do with people's behaviour as a result of their tastes.

It's not uncommon - with respect to every single genre - that people will choose to believe that they hold a niche interest and are in some way unique because of it, and will act disingenuously as a result.

Lots of things, including music, effects how people act or react. The point I was making earlier was why anyone else would pay any heed to this behaviour, unless it was harming them in some way.

To quote from the "Door's" song..."People are Strange". :D It begs the question...so what ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Seems like a bit of a childish attitude to care so much about what other people listen to or don't listen to. It reminds me of when I was twelve years old and my classmates would argue about whether a band was good or not, even threatening to beat up anyone that said Iron Maiden were crap. I thought it was a stupid attitude back then and I still think so now.

Britney Spears fans aren't 'missing out' just because they're listening to something you don't care for. They're listening to music they enjoy. The purpose of listening to music is for enjoyment. I can't stand Britney Spears myself but I'm not going to dictate to anyone else what they should or shouldn't be listening to.
    1. Classic rock bores
    There are of course a large group of people who think that anything released after 1979 is not worth the time of day or that music hasn't evolved since. Because of course Kurt Cobain can't play guitar as good as Jimmy Page and electronic music isn't "real music". They cling with pride onto their vinyl and think that vinyl is the only format you can actually listen to music on, because of course "collecting mp3 is like collecting farts in a jar". Guys, enjoy listening to friggin Queen records for the rest of your lives rolleyes.png

Some people just don't feel the need to throw out their record collection and listen to whatever band Pitchfork thinks they should be listening to this week just to prove their indie street cred.

Also there was plenty of electronic music made before 1979, a lot of it sounds more futuristic than what's around nowadays.

MP3s are indeed crap by the way. If people choose to listen to them it's no skin off my nose though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

:rolleyes:

Its sad, so sad. Its a sad, sad situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I'm a Belieber, I couldn't leave him if I tried.

• Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭SubBusted

Also there was plenty of electronic music made before 1979, a lot of it sounds more futuristic than what's around nowadays.
    Old analogue technology is the reason.

Its not that I have anything against them but another thing I never got was bands with cult followings.

Muse have many legions of fans who rave on about how they are the greatest band ever (like ever), and the best live band around.

I do like Muse myself and they did play one of the best concerts I've ever seen, but a lot of their fans do blow it out of proportion, and discuss them like there's no other bands who compare (like at all).

I wouldn't look down on this sub-category of Muse fans, I just generally end up disagreeing with fans that treat them like Gods. These fans are some of the soundest people I know, its just the extent to which they endorse their favourite band that I find pointless.

Many other bands have the same treatment. I also never got Kurt Cobain's iconic status, while I still respect him as a guitarist who did well on limited talent.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

karaokeman wrote: »
    Its not that I have anything against them but another thing I never got was bands with cult followings.

Muse have many legions of fans who rave on about how they are the greatest band ever (like ever), and the best live band around.

I do like Muse myself and they did play one of the best concerts I've ever seen, but a lot of their fans do blow it out of proportion, and discuss them like there's no other bands who compare (like at all).

I wouldn't look down on this sub-category of Muse fans, I just generally end up disagreeing with fans that treat them like Gods. These fans are some of the soundest people I know, its just the extent to which they endorse their favourite band that I find pointless.

Many other bands have the same treatment. I also never got Kurt Cobain's iconic status, while I still respect him as a guitarist who did well on limited talent.

Eh says the Robbie Williams obsessive? Or is it Westlife?

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

Stop saying 'Guys'

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Smashing Pumpkins fans

• Advertisement

lordgoat wrote: »
    Eh says the Robbie Williams obsessive? Or is it Westlife?

I do quite like Robbie Williams, but I've learned to appreciate him for what he is. Its not innovative music by any means, but its good pop, and he is one of the best showmen around. Though I try to not harp on about it too much, as I've learned with experience there are much more bands and artists out there who I can also enjoy their music and live performances. So I still like Robbie's music, but that won't stop me delving further to find more artists.

Westlife were a guilty pleasure, but I don't really listen to their stuff anymore.

I also believe that a person having guilty pleasures is no reason to say they cannot search for more music (not directed at you but many music fans seem to think that).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭endacl

A bit of this and a bit of that :)
    Oh, we have a skimmer! That's the worst kind of music fan. A bit of this, a bit of that. Won't commit. Superficial knowledge of everything, but really 'gets' nothing.

Probably has 'other interests' outside of music as well. Down with that sorta thing! I blame the parents...

endacl wrote: »
    Oh, we have a skimmer! That's the worst kind of music fan. A bit of this, a bit of that. Won't commit. Superficial knowledge of everything, but really 'gets' nothing.
    So it's wrong for people to explore different genres of music instead of sticking to the one style? Hard to figure that one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,059 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Everyone has a certain group of music fans they dislike, whether it's fans of a certain genre or a certain artist. This is your chance to let everyone know who you think are the worst group of music fans.

My own personal top 5:

5. Juggalos
    In case you didn't know a Juggalo is the name given to a fan of hip-hop group Insane Clown Posse. If ICP aren't bad enough their fans are even worse. They like to wear ridiculous face paint, ridiculous clothes, act like douchebags and show a noticeable lack of intelligence. Thankfully Juggalos seem to be very rare in Ireland, or at people who actually give a damn about ICP, but any Juggalos I've encountered over the internet had me face-palming in disbelief. Guys, stop inbreeding :)

4. Trve kvlt metalheads
    I like metal quite a lot, but of course there's always a group of fans that turn their nose up at anything not resembling metal in fear of being seen as 'gay'. What's even worse is fans turning their noses up at anything that wasn't recorded in a freezing Norwegian forest on a busted 4-track recorder between the years of 1987 and 1993. Guys, be adventurous.

3. Musically-oblivious pop fans
    You know the types. If it's not in the charts it's quite obviously shit. An artist's musical merit is somehow based on their record sales and the number of MTV awards or Grammys they've received. Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera 'revolutionised' music and Whitney Houston is a musical goddess. Guys, you're missing out on so much music.

2. Beliebers
    An even worse subset of the musically-oblivious pop fan. Despite Justin Bieber being a completely harmless and innocent teen pop money maker, his fans are some of the most downright aggressive people on the planet. Any criticism of his musical abilities results in a volley of abuse, physical threats and even death threats from his army of followers. Guys, just relax!

1. Classic rock bores
    There are of course a large group of people who think that anything released after 1979 is not worth the time of day or that music hasn't evolved since. Because of course Kurt Cobain can't play guitar as good as Jimmy Page and electronic music isn't "real music". They cling with pride onto their vinyl and think that vinyl is the only format you can actually listen to music on, because of course "collecting mp3 is like collecting farts in a jar". Guys, enjoy listening to friggin Queen records for the rest of your lives :rolleyes:

have to say i'm as "hip" and "withit " as the next fella, but was unaware insane clown posse had enough support in ireland that their fans could be called a group?

(unless the next fella is.....)

have to say i'm as "hip" and "withit " as the next fella, but was unaware insane clown posse had enough support in ireland that their fans could be called a group?

(unless the next fella is.....)
    There's loads of them in America, they even have their own festivals where they congregate. It's not just about Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

For me it's the hipsters. You know the "I was listening to them before they got signed", or "You're obviously not a true fan if you haven't heard his bootlegs from 1974".

What annoys me the most about them is that they seem to drop an artist once they get popular, as though it's a mortal sin to like something that other people have heard of, and move onto their next "cool" discovery ("Spaghetti Starfish Explosion. You've never heard of them. They only release music on 8-track in months when spring tides are predicted.")

Probably has 'other interests' outside of music as well. Down with that sorta thing! I blame the parents...

Be careful, the above post puts you almost into the same boat as
    the OP, i.e. paying too much attention to what others listen to or dont listen to. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Rigsby wrote: »

Be careful, the above post puts you almost into the same boat as
    the OP, i.e. paying too much attention to what others listen to or dont listen to. :p
    Forgot how seriously people take music...

Try reading the post again. Change the time if your inner reading voice to 'lighten up' this time.

Listen to what you like. If you like only one thing that's up to you. If you're deeply into everything so much the better. If you're vaguely into several things, rock on. Whatever brings you joy and soundtracks your life.

Unless you're a hipster. If you're a hipster, you're a bit of a git. Hopefully a happy git, but a git nonetheless.

Forgot how seriously people take music...

Try reading the post again. Change the time if your inner reading voice to 'lighten up' this time.

Listen to what you like. If you like only one thing that's up to you. If you're deeply into everything so much the better. If you're vaguely into several things, rock on. Whatever brings you joy and soundtracks your life.

Unless you're a hipster. If you're a hipster, you're a bit of a git. Hopefully a happy git, but a git nonetheless.

I knew your post was tongue in cheek, hence the smiley at the end.

Take your own advice and lighten up. :)

• Advertisement

Vojera wrote: »
    For me it's the hipsters. You know the "I was listening to them before they got signed", or "You're obviously not a true fan if you haven't heard his bootlegs from 1974".

What annoys me the most about them is that they seem to drop an artist once they get popular, as though it's a mortal sin to like something that other people have heard of, and move onto their next "cool" discovery ("Spaghetti Starfish Explosion. You've never heard of them. They only release music on 8-track in months when spring tides are predicted.")

Black Keys are the latest victim to the hipster brigade, and they are signed to an independent label (Nonesuch).

I think the main thing with the hipsters is they don't like musicians who do little to earn a lot, so in effect they will prefer challenging, more complex music to simple catchy, hook-driven tunes that appeal to a larger audience, and the BK have gone down that road with El Camino.

Advertisement