Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Music Fans

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Rigsby wrote: »

I knew your post was tongue in cheek, hence the smiley at the end.

Take your own advice and lighten up. :)
    Whoops! Just got that.

No smiley function on tbe phone, so can't reciprocate appropriately...

;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Good thread mate. Thing is, you cant categorise it by genre. Bellends are in every fanbase. I just think of it as some people are worth discussing music with and some arent.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

SubBusted wrote: »
    I've seen people in Dublin with that ICP facepaint.

i dressed up on halloween as one. ICP RAWK

Also this hipster tag is so lazy. Some people have stupid.attitudes of course but is it too far of a stretch to understand that the reason some people get popular is because they dilute their sound horribly and move in a different direction to the one their earlier work hinted at? Imo this happened to a LOT of groups.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

have to say i'm as "hip" and "withit " as the next fella, but was unaware insane clown posse had enough support in ireland that their fans could be called a group?

(unless the next fella is.....)

also the female juggelo is a jullolette

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

I guess just anybody ignorant to the opinion of others tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

karaokeman wrote: »
    Black Keys are the latest victim to the hipster brigade, and they are signed to an independent label (Nonesuch).

I think the main thing with the hipsters is they don't like musicians who do little to earn a lot, so in effect they will prefer challenging, more complex music to simple catchy, hook-driven tunes that appeal to a larger audience, and the BK have gone down that road with El Camino.

Because blues is so challenging and complex.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Black Keys, but they were never challenging or complex. Just really really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Kold wrote: »
    Also this hipster tag is so lazy. Some people have stupid.attitudes of course but is it too far of a stretch to understand that the reason some people get popular is because they dilute their sound horribly and move in a different direction to the one their earlier work hinted at? Imo this happened to a LOT of groups.

If someone can tell me that they don't like the latest (and newly popular) album by an artist for any of those reasons, that's fine. There are plenty of bands where I liked their early stuff but didn't like the direction they went in after a while. That's grand and, in my opinion, it can be a good thing as it's a sign that an artist isn't staying static. But you know there are people out there who just die a little inside when their precious unknown band starts getting radio play (usually followed by accusations of being "sell-outs" :eek:). It's that sort of fan that I can't stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Because blues is so challenging and complex.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Black Keys, but they were never challenging or complex. Just really really good.

I understand that they are not challenging in an Aphex Twin/Godspeed You Black Emperor sense, but if you compare the direction of their previous albums to now you'll see that they are gearing toward a more commercially viable glam blues sound.

Compare;

to....

And;

to;

And then you have the non-single tracks on El Camino (Run Right Back etc.) have that same FM rock appeal you'd expect from the likes of Green Day, Nickelback, Foos, Blink etc.

All in all, I'm not saying this is a bad thing I'm a Black Keys fan myself, I like challenging and poppy MOR tunes, it all depends on my mood. I'm just saying that the Black Keys now have a large fanbase and they will be likely to not take any chances, and much of their future work will have similar repetitive guitar riffs, catchier lyrics and melodies. I have no problem with that, its what they want to do with their music and I've come to terms with the fact the fans can't change the BK's choice of musical progression.

• Site Banned Posts: 12 ballyturtles

Beliebers and Directioners! I CANT STAND THEM!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I dunno about Juggalos now, they definitely know how to have a session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I preferred the earlier part of this thread. The later part has become sanitized and a bit safe…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I preferred the earlier part of this thread. The later part has become sanitized and a bit safe…
    Yeah I agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I hate pill heads and knackers who follow the trance music genre and give it a bad name.

The Spanish. Worst music fans.

I hate pill heads and knackers who follow the trance music genre and give it a bad name.

Tbf the music itself is enough to give it a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Gig goers who are there for "The Hits" and chat through the rest of the concert.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,059 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

not sure about that...history will look back on pills like we do at the beatles!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

People who go to a gig and insist on filming the entire thing. FFS, I paid in to see the band, I don't want to watch them through your sh*tty iPhone screen since you insist on holding it right in front of me. Just enjoy the f*cking music and stop trying to look cool by uploading it to YouTube.

The only other group that would annoy me are people who blanketly say everything in the charts is sh*t and looks down on anyone who listens to it. I don't need you telling me what music I should like thank you very much.

To say that drugs and drug users give dance music a bad name is to ignore ****ing everything about the context of its invention/conception/growth.
    Tbf the music itself is enough to give it a bad name.

You should listen to it before you make comments like this ;)

• Advertisement

rcaz wrote: »
    You should listen to it before you make comments like this ;)

Ah I've listened to a fair bit of trance in my time, up until the likes of Paul van Dyk and Ferry Corsten basically remodelled it almost overnight into the most formulaic genre of music out there - the aural equivalent of the furry ugg boot. There was a time when the likes of Hook recordings and Platipus were putting out some decent tunes. That said an awful lot of it hasn't aged terribly well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Richard Wagner had some dodgy fans.

To say that drugs and drug users give dance music a bad name is to ignore ****ing everything about the context of its invention/conception/growth. ;)
    I completely disagree with that. Possibly the simple-minded, knuckle-dragging trance fan needed, and needs, drugs to enjoy it but the more sober, intelligent of us could, and can, appreciate it without the drugs. The music was hardly made whilst being out of it on drugs.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    People who go to a gig and insist on filming the entire thing. FFS, I paid in to see the band, I don't want to watch them through your sh*tty iPhone screen since you insist on holding it right in front of me. Just enjoy the f*cking music and stop trying to look cool by uploading it to YouTube.

Rammstein was awful for this.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

I completely disagree with that. Possibly the simple-minded, knuckle-dragging trance fan needed, and needs, drugs to enjoy it but the more sober, intelligent of us could, and can, appreciate it without the drugs. The music was hardly made whilst being out of it on drugs.

I'm not saying you need to take drugs to enjoy it, I'm saying drugs, particularly ecstasy, were an integral part of clubbing since the very start, way back to disco before house or techno or anything even started. That is a fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Charles Mansons 'family' wrote Beatles lyrics on their victims walls in the victims own blood. I'd consider that worse than teenagers wearing clown makeup or people preferring vinyl to MP3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Female thirtysomething Bon Jovi fans get awful aggressive with me when I tell them what I think of their favourite band.

I'm not saying you need to take drugs to enjoy it, I'm saying drugs, particularly ecstasy, were an integral part of clubbing since the very start, way back to disco before house or techno or anything even started. That is a fact.
    The pill-popping knackers are what turn me off trance gigs but I adore the music.

The pill-popping knackers are what turn me off trance gigs but I adore the music.

Why does it matter whether the knackers are popping pills or not? Chances are they'll be a bit more placid with a couple of yokes in them.

• Advertisement

a bit more placid

They'll be really ****ing vocal about being mad lovely anyway.

Advertisement