Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Bravia TV

Options
  • 17-01-2013 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

Purchased a TV from Tesco almost 2yrs ago,and for the past 8 months
    have been emailing Sony try and get the TV fixed
    It has a green tint on picture and red line on top.

They emailed back numerous times on how to fix this issue
    ie. bought new hdmi cables scarts etc adjusted the settings to no
    avail.

So left it in to be repaired by a TV centre with 25yrs experience
    He did not open it and told me the TV was a write off as it had
    a defective screen.

I have the emails and receipt regarding the TV,however after ringing Sony today the say I have no comeback with them as I left it in to be repaired by an unauthorised agent.

So I am left with a tv that is not fit for purpose and cannot be repaired
    Told the Sony support person that I expected a make like SONY to last a lot longer than it did considering just after the 12 month warranty we started to have problems.

Seriously thinking of going down the court route now
    :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You start with Tesco, as that is where you bought the TV, and that is where your contract of sale lies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Sony is a terrible brand - well that's not strictly true they don't make products to last however because that's just not how they view products. The repair centre merely inspected the product. Just say because of all the troubleshooting you wanted to confirm it was a faulty screen and you did so. The guy only looked at it and made an assessment.

Tesco is who you should be dealing with as dudara has said. They should be replacing it or organising a repair. There is no such thing as a 12 month or XX month warranty the product should work for a reasonable time. If Tesco are not forthcoming with a remedy use the Small Claims Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Sony is a terrible brand - well that's not strictly true they don't make products to last however because that's just not how they view products.

Tesco is who you should be dealing with as dudara has said. They should be replacing it or organising a repair. There is no such thing as a 12 month or XX month warranty the product should work for a reasonable time. If Tesco are not forthcoming with a remedy use the Small Claims Court.

I have to totally disagree with your statement about Sony. I have always found their products of very high quality and very reliable. I bought a Sony Trinitron back in the late 90s and it is still working perfectly. Just about every TV I have ever bought has been Sony, and I have never had a moment of bother,

As for Tesco, yeah, they are your port of call. They are responsible for the TV, and it should be them dealing with Sony and not the OP.

I think you meant to disagree. I've had the complete opposite experience with Sony. I simply don't know how they've built the reputation they have here. It's a peculiarity of the Irish market. The service the OP has gotten from them is fairly typical in my experience. All that aside as we've all said he shouldn't have been dealing with Sony in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

Just back from Tesco and was told its out of the 12 month warranty.
    Not up to them to replace it as it worked for a while so didnt sell me a defective item.

Bringing TV back to Tescos on Monday to speak to store manager who wasnt there and see if I get any joy out off him.

Thank you all for the replies
    Appreciated

• Advertisement

Bettyboop wrote: »
    Not up to them to replace it as it worked for a while so didnt sell me a defective item.

12 month warranty is irrevelant to this discussion. Tesco cannot dismiss you out of hand, but they are entitled to determine if this is a fault with the TV, or if is due to damage. They cannot wash their hands of you without a good reason.
    Bringing TV back to Tescos on Monday to speak to store manager who wasnt there and see if I get any joy out off him.

Good plan

Thank you all for the replies
    Appreciated

Take a letter in with you to give to the manager should you be unsucessful in obtaining a remedy. Here's an idea of what it should contail.

Dear _________ (ask for his name)

Please note that after speaking to you today _________ (date) you have refused to provide any remedy to which I am entitled to under my consumer rights, inter alia the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 and the European Communities (Certain Aspects of the Sale of Consumer Goods and Associated Guarantees) Regulations 2003. You have done so on the basis that you are only liable for twelve months after purchase.

Please note that under the SOGASOS Act goods must last for a reasonable amount of time, there is no time limit specified other than that provided for under the Statute of Limitations Act 1957. I do not consider twelve months to the reasonable. If you refuse to repair or replace the item within ten working days of today's date I will reject the goods on the basis that you have not brought the goods into conformity with our contract (as per section 7 of the European Communities (Certain Aspects of the Sale of Consumer Goods and Associated Guarantees) Regulations 2003) without significant inconvenience to me.

Please note that should a refund not be forthcoming at that juncture I will lodge a claim with the Small Claims Court.

Yours Sincerely,

PS Please note all of the above is available from www.irishstatutebook.ie or if you prefer a more convenient form you can access similar information from the National Consumers Association www.nca.ie. I would be obliged if you could bring this information to the attention of your senior management so that you can avoid infringing consumers statutory rights in the furture.

Brillant Thank You Procrastastudy
    Have it printed out but will do it as a hand written letter.
    I really appreciate all your help.
    Will let you know how it all goes on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 33,646 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I bought a Sony Bravia about 3yrs ago or so and I remember that a lot of Bravias back then came with a 3yr Sony warranty.

Do you remember if your's came with that at the time? Sony were running that promotion for quite a while.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I bought a Sony Bravia about 3yrs ago or so and I remember that a lot of Bravias back then came with a 3yr Sony warranty.

Do you remember if your's came with that at the time? Sony were running that promotion for quite a while.

Purchased 14/12/2010
    brought it back to Tescos 1yr and 2 weeks later when it 1st started giving trouble.But it was 2 weeks out off the warranty and refused to do anything then.The guy in charge of the electrical section was the guy I seen today and he remembers me bringing it back then. So its been going on a while.

However today I got a lot of help from the boardsies here so am armed
    more with information which is a great help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Dazzling D

Paulw wrote: »
    I have to totally disagree with your statement about Sony. I have always found their products of very high quality and very reliable. I bought a Sony Trinitron back in the late 90s and it is still working perfectly. Just about every TV I have ever bought has been Sony, and I have never had a moment of bother

Likewise! I believe Sony have the lowest return rates if TVs in the industry. I've never had any issues with any of the sets I've bought (many of them came with extended Sony warranties for free anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I too have had a very good experience with Sony products, considering them to be at the upper end of the build and quality scales. As Procrastastudy (though not all of his opinions or loyalties are to be commended) says, you have rights under the SOGASOS act and should be treated as such. Good luck in your claim.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I bought my sony TV last year, and Sony were giving out 5 year part and labour warranties with their TVs at that time. If they were building poor quality TVs as a previous poster said then this wouldnt be economical for them at all.

A 5 year warranty is not going to be beaten, the only brand i see doing that regularily aswell is panasonic.

I bought my sony TV last year, and Sony were giving out 5 year part and labour warranties with their TVs at that time. If they were building poor quality TVs as a previous poster said then this wouldnt be economical for them at all.

A 5 year warranty is not going to be beaten, the only brand i see doing that regularily aswell is panasonic.

Or its possible that as reaction to past crapness they've had to mend their ways. It's a difficult one to argue to an Irish audience - I remember speaking to Sony reps who couldn't understand what was different in the Irish market - market share here for Sony was massive compared to other territories.

All that aside although a manufacturer might not give a five year warranty most would be held to around five years by the courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Or its possible that as reaction to past crapness they've had to mend their ways. It's a difficult one to argue to an Irish audience - I remember speaking to Sony reps who couldn't understand what was different in the Irish market - market share here for Sony was massive compared to other territories.

All that aside although a manufacturer might not give a five year warranty most would be held to around five years by the courts.
    I think the market share in the 90s could probably be linked to the dominance of the playstation here as well, didnt Ireland have more PS1s than any other country in terms of population/PS1 sold.......... that was a high quality item with very few failures in my mind, im sure this along with the increasing amount of money people had to spend on discressionary items could be linked.

I think the market share in the 90s could probably be linked to the dominance of the playstation here as well, didnt Ireland have more PS1s than any other country in terms of population/PS1 sold.......... that was a high quality item with very few failures in my mind, im sure this along with the increasing amount of money people had to spend on discressionary items could be linked.

Playstation market here per population was the biggest outside of Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The letter above should work, they might have to send it to the legal dept (no really!) but you should get some compensation. Do you have any proof of purchase, as in the price you paid?

I know you said you had your one replaced and they guy remembered you so I know where you bought it is not in question, but its value might be!

Was it the 32" deal for €350 New Years day 2008?

ZENER wrote: »
    I too have had a very good experience with Sony products, considering them to be at the upper end of the build and quality scales. As Procrastastudy (though not all of his opinions or loyalties are to be commended) says, you have rights under the SOGASOS act and should be treated as such. Good luck in your claim.

Ken

They are all absolutely correct as far as I'm concerned :pac:

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    The letter above should work, they might have to send it to the legal dept (no really!) but you should get some compensation. Do you have any proof of purchase, as in the price you paid?

I know you said you had your one replaced and they guy remembered you so I know where you bought it is not in question, but its value might be!

Was it the 32" deal for €350 New Years day 2008?

No receipt was 20/12/10
    Anyway brought TV to the manager in Tesco Yesterday and he refused to do anything.
    Told him I will be going to the small claims court
    which made him laugh
    I argued with him for 15mins but again no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Take a letter in with you to give to the manager should you be unsucessful in obtaining a remedy. Here's an idea of what it should contail.

Dear _________ (ask for his name)

Please note that after speaking to you today _________ (date) you have refused to provide any remedy to which I am entitled to under my consumer rights, inter alia the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 and the European Communities (Certain Aspects of the Sale of Consumer Goods and Associated Guarantees) Regulations 2003. You have done so on the basis that you are only liable for twelve months after purchase.

Please note that under the SOGASOS Act goods must last for a reasonable amount of time, there is no time limit specified other than that provided for under the Statute of Limitations Act 1957. I do not consider twelve months to the reasonable. If you refuse to repair or replace the item within ten working days of today's date I will reject the goods on the basis that you have not brought the goods into conformity with our contract (as per section 7 of the European Communities (Certain Aspects of the Sale of Consumer Goods and Associated Guarantees) Regulations 2003) without significant inconvenience to me.

Please note that should a refund not be forthcoming at that juncture I will lodge a claim with the Small Claims Court.

Yours Sincerely,

PS Please note all of the above is available from www.irishstatutebook.ie or if you prefer a more convenient form you can access similar information from the National Consumers Association www.nca.ie. I would be obliged if you could bring this information to the attention of your senior management so that you can avoid infringing consumers statutory rights in the furture.

I'm saving that just in case I ever need it :D

• Advertisement

Handed my letter into customer services addressed to Manager:D
    Waiting to here what reply I get;)

Handed my letter into customer services addressed to Manager:D
    Waiting to here what reply I get;)

Probably something along the lines of... who ever wrote that is clearly a first year law student with very little clue :D

Told him I will be going to the small claims court
    which made him laugh

Take them to the SCC - they cannot refuse to entertain your rights. They at least should have arranged to have the TV checked out to determine if a fault existed. Outright refusing to deal with you is not going to be looked on favourably.

Did you record his name, and the time/date you spoke with him? Also, have you sent a registered copy of the letter to Tesco HQ in Dun Laoghaire?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

Would be interested to hear how he got on.

Have had Sonys for years only had 1 problem with set out of warranty for 3 years and screen went ga ga emailed their customer service and they asked for details of set after one week a delivery guy arrived at my door with a brand new updated set which is 8 years ago now and still running so cannot fault that.

Have to agree with contributor who said anyone that offers a 5 year warranty has confidance and quality in their product for their customers in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thread is five years old!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement