Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bombay potatoes ?

Options
  • 17-01-2013 2:31pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone have a tried and tested recipe for these? Ive googled and looked in a few books and there seems to be quite a few variations. So can anyone help with this please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭whadafook

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Anyone have a tried and tested recipe for these? Ive googled and looked in a few books and there seems to be quite a few variations. So can anyone help with this please.

Have used a couple of recipies myself. All are pretty good my only suggestion is to cover parboiled potatoe cubes in chosen spices and roast instead of frying. Gives a more consistent reault

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭sandy_c

You should try this recipe, I'd recommend the whole recipe but the Bombay potatoes are delicious. I've made this for several people and they love it. The gravy is yum! Try it all!

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chicken-recipes/empire-roast-chicken

whadafook wrote: »

Have used a couple of recipies myself. All are pretty good my only suggestion is to cover parboiled potatoe cubes in chosen spices and roast instead of frying. Gives a more consistent reault

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Had Bombay potatoes a few years back in a beach shack in goa 'twas lovely at the time but the 6 people who ate it got a right dose of food poison for it....

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

sandy_c wrote: »
    You should try this recipe, I'd recommend the whole recipe but the Bombay potatoes are delicious. I've made this for several people and they love it. The gravy is yum! Try it all!

Made this yesterday and they were yummy and so easy. Must try the whole recipe soon. Thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

sandy_c wrote: »

I've made that recipe a few times, it is delish. And the gravy is unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭sandy_c

Its amazing!! one of my fav dinners, a bit of effort but well worth it!
    longshanks wrote: »
    I've made that recipe a few times, it is delish. And the gravy is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

It's a slight cheats way of doing things but in the Arab/Indian shops you can get yellow boxes of spices, kind of like dinner kits, one of them is for spicy Bombay potatoes. Essentially you boil potatoes, pour off the water, add the spice mix and half a tin of tomatoes, bobs your uncle, seriously tasty side dish!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

This is where I learned to make them and have used this recipe ever since (with some personal tweaking).

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-bombay-potatoes

They come out beautifully!

2s77vpk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3 adam wolverhampton

Here is my own recipe, if you like madras hot use the 4 green chillies if not leave out still quite spicy.Please use red onions much better taste than with yellow onions.

Bombay Potatoes
    Ingredients
    • 300g Red onions finely chopped
    • 3 Tbsp Olive/Sunflower/Vegetable oil
    • 1 Tbsp Mustard seed’s black
    • 1 Tbsp Whole Cumin seeds
    • 1 Tsp Table Salt
    • 1 Tsp Turmeric
    • 1 Tsp Garam Masala
    • 1 Tsp Tandoori Masala
    • 1 Tbsp Tomato puree
    • 1 Tbsp Garlic/Ginger paste
    • 800g Potatoes 1” to 1½ cubes
    • 1 Tbsp Lemon juice
    • 300-450 mL Water
    • 3 or 4 Bay leaves
    • 4 Green Chillies(optional)
    • Coriander

Method

1. Add the Oil to a saucepan along with the Black Mustard Seeds and Whole Cumin seeds when the seeds begin popping add the 300g of Red Onions and cook until soft.

2. Add the Turmeric,Garam masala,Tandoori masala,salt and stir continuously for a couple of minutes (nice thick paste).

3. Add the potatoes and stir continuously for around 5 minutes.

4. Add the tomato puree and Garlic/Ginger paste and(green chillies optional)mix well for a couple of minutes.

5. Just cover the potatoes with cold water(Add bay leaves) and bring to the boil turn heat down and simmer(cover pan) until potatoes are cooked, add one tablespoon of lemon juice.

6. Garnish with coriander .

• Registered Users Posts: 3 adam wolverhampton

Made them yesterday remembered to take a photo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement