Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Work Experience in U.K vs BTEA/Dole

• 17-01-2013 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all, looking for a bit of advice, if anyone has experience/knowledge in this area...

I am in my second year of a third level course and am on Back to Education Allowance. Being a bit older that my classmates, I figured it couldn't hurt to have some work experience under my belt to increase my chances of work when I'm finished. I'm doing a course in the creative field and since there is a lot more opportunities in this in the U.K, I was considering going over there to try get experience during the summer months.

Now I'm not sure how long of a work experience opportunity I will be offered, if any, but during the summer my BTEA switches back to the dole.... Is there anyway I can get some sort of work experience in the U.K for a few weeks while claiming the dole? Someone mentioned to me that the social welfare here will continue to pay your dole for a number of weeks if you are in another country "seeking work". I am not sure if this would work with me as they know I would be returning to BTEA in September. And articles like this certain illustrate that experience doesn't come without it's downsides: http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/08/15/the-intern-and-the-dole/

Feel a bit lost, does anyone have any advice to offer on this, or has anyone experienced anything similar?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭eddiehen

Hi all, looking for a bit of advice, if anyone has experience/knowledge in this area...

I am in my second year of a third level course and am on Back to Education Allowance. Being a bit older that my classmates, I figured it couldn't hurt to have some work experience under my belt to increase my chances of work when I'm finished. I'm doing a course in the creative field and since there is a lot more opportunities in this in the U.K, I was considering going over there to try get experience during the summer months.

Now I'm not sure how long of a work experience opportunity I will be offered, if any, but during the summer my BTEA switches back to the dole.... Is there anyway I can get some sort of work experience in the U.K for a few weeks while claiming the dole? Someone mentioned to me that the social welfare here will continue to pay your dole for a number of weeks if you are in another country "seeking work". I am not sure if this would work with me as they know I would be returning to BTEA in September. And articles like this certain illustrate that experience doesn't come without it's downsides: http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/08/15/the-intern-and-the-dole/

Feel a bit lost, does anyone have any advice to offer on this, or has anyone experienced anything similar?

Many thanks!

First of all, payment while jobseeking abroad is only done on jobseekers benefit, for a potential 13 weeks (or more, at your local offices discretion). Jobseekers allowance does not have a facility for this (although you are entitled to two weeks holidays, which you could use for that purpose if you did a bit of research/jobhunting before going).

Second of all, if you're taking a website that posts more pictures of cats, things that look like Ireland and youth defence posters than it does social welfare matters as gospel, then you're doing it wrong! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 LaLibertine

eddiehen wrote: »
    First of all, payment while jobseeking abroad is only done on jobseekers benefit, for a potential 13 weeks (or more, at your local offices discretion). Jobseekers allowance does not have a facility for this (although you are entitled to two weeks holidays, which you could use for that purpose if you did a bit of research/jobhunting before going).

Second of all, if you're taking a website that posts more pictures of cats, things that look like Ireland and youth defence posters than it does social welfare matters as gospel, then you're doing it wrong! :pac:

Oh am by no means taking it as gospel, nor did I say I was, I was merely looking for various opinions or experiences on the matter across the internet where I could.

Thanks for your advice! Will maybe look into just trying to get two weeks work experience if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭eddiehen

Oh am by no means taking it as gospel, nor did I say I was, I was merely looking for various opinions or experiences on the matter across the internet where I could.

Thanks for your advice! Will maybe look into just trying to get two weeks work experience if possible.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. Even on jobseekers benefit, if you found work you would still have to sign off. The only way you would be able to keep your JB/JA while abroad would be if the work you were going to do was integral to your course, i.e. you would not pass your course unless you had this done.

I was thinking that the "holiday" period could be used for being present for interviews, if you organised them all around the same time. If it didn't work out, just come back and resume claiming.

There is the possibility that if you can get work abroad, you can sign off for the summer period, get some experience and resume your BTEA upon your return.

Best of luck with whatever path you choose!

Advertisement