Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info on curry leaves?

Options
  • 17-01-2013 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭

I've been reading about curry leaves, particularly wrt iron content. It's difficult to find trustworthy sources that have actual figures on it. Many questionable sources indicate that they contain 930mg of iron/100g, which is extremely high. Other sources suggest that the content is significantly lower, while further sources indicate that the extreme level is a result of contamination rather than inherent.

If the content is anywhere near so high as suggested then consumption of moderate amounts of them alone would easily cater for human iron requirements. Sufficient amounts could easily be integrated into normal meals (in fact consumption of too much would be more of a concern than too little if the food was introduced). I fried chickpeas with curry leaves, mustard seeds, while cumin and garlic yesterday and it was very nice. It contained a good few leaves, maybe 30g per serving, and that didn't make the dish particularly hot or spicy, or overpower the other ingredients.

I was wondering if anybody knows much about them. I thought I'd post here to avoid the thread turning into a debate about vegetarianism in general [which often seems to happen when anything related to it is discussed for some reason]. Also I thought this would be of more interest to people on this forum, and people here might be more likely to know about the subject.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭spiralbound

I've been reading about curry leaves, particularly wrt iron content. It's difficult to find trustworthy sources that have actual figures on it. Many questionable sources indicate that they contain 930mg of iron/100g, which is extremely high. Other sources suggest that the content is significantly lower, while further sources indicate that the extreme level is a result of contamination rather than inherent.

If the content is anywhere near so high as suggested then consumption of moderate amounts of them alone would easily cater for human iron requirements. Sufficient amounts could easily be integrated into normal meals (in fact consumption of too much would be more of a concern than too little if the food was introduced). I fried chickpeas with curry leaves, mustard seeds, while cumin and garlic yesterday and it was very nice. It contained a good few leaves, maybe 30g per serving, and that didn't make the dish particularly hot or spicy, or overpower the other ingredients.

I was wondering if anybody knows much about them. I thought I'd post here to avoid the thread turning into a debate about vegetarianism in general [which often seems to happen when anything related to it is discussed for some reason]. Also I thought this would be of more interest to people on this forum, and people here might be more likely to know about the subject.

This says .93mg/100g: http://www.nature.com/bdj/journal/v197/n9/full/4811838a.html#B7

Seems a bit more reasonable!

Advertisement