Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple ideas with fish

Options
  • 17-01-2013 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    I have to cook for friends in the next while, and since one of them is a veggie, I thought I'd go with fish. Which she eats. The others love fish so it's good all around. the only problem is, I have no idea what to cook or how to cook it. Also, the only thing I have in common with Gordon Ramsey is a love of excessive swearing, so whatever I dish up has to be relatively simple. I was thinking of something along the lines of a pasta dish with seafood, shrimp and prawns etc. But I need help! So any ideas would be apprciated!

THanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Check out the vegitarian and vegan forum. Some nice veggie dishes in there that would please everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

The easiest option with fish I think is always a fish pie!
    You poach the fish in milk, seasoning, an onion and bay leaf, then put it in an oven proof dish with mashed spuds on top, bake for a half hour. Yum!
    Fishcakes are always a winner too! I love salmon ones with a chilli dip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Chronic Button

I'm on my phone so can't link to it but google eatlikeagirl prawn curry. I made it last night. It was simple and delicious and everyone loved it. It needs plenty of seasoning though, to round out the flavours.

Another option is salmon with a herb or pesto crust.

The key thing with fish is not to overcook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

The other night for dinner my hubby made a typical tomato sauce but with leeks and lots of French beans in it, kind of a ratatouille I suppose, you could put loads of veg in but all we had were green beans! Anyway, then he put it into an oven dish, popped two fillets of cod on top (3euro in Lidl) and stuck it in the oven for 15mins.

Absolutely delicious dinner, you could serve it with boiled baby potatoes or so many other things, we are off night time carbs and it was yummy as is!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I got a nice reaction from halibut poached in fresh vanilla bean & milk. The infusion of vanilla was fantastic with meaty fish like halibut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Simple starter:
    Blend some smoked salmon, greek yoghurt, capers,lemon and dill together (I use a hand blender, but food processor will do fine). This makes a nice mousse which you can spoon into small bowl (or espresso cups) and chill in the fridge.
    If you like, serve it topped with a thin slice of cucumber or sliver of (unblended) smoked salmon. Simple and tasty.

Simple main:
    Buy seabass fillets. Heat a pan with olive oil and some butter. Season the seabass (Salt and pepper, or you could use chinese five spice, or anything else you like) and put it on the pan with the skin side down. Cook for about 3 minutes, then turn over so the fleshy part is down and cook for another 3 minutes (depending on thickness they need about 5-8 minutes total).

Do up whatever veg you want on the side (potateos, asparagus, carrots whatever) and yo uhave a simple tasty main course.

F.

Advertisement