Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin corpo Fruit and Veg market

Options
  • 17-01-2013 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

Myself and friends are joining forces to get most of our fruit and veg together so we can buy in bulk at the morning. Can anyone who buys at the market tell me.

Do all the suppliers in the market charge the same price or can anyone recommend someone to go to?

Can you haggle with them like a normal market?

If your in there first do you get the freshest produce?

How many bags of spuds do you purchase at a time for wholesale price?

Any help / info greatly appreciated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The following is based of my knowledge from a few years ago. Things may have changed since then.
    Do all the suppliers in the market charge the same price or can anyone recommend someone to go to?
    Price will generally be the same.
    Can you haggle with them like a normal market?
    Not really. If the next customer after you has a truck/van to fill, they're not going to be interested in wasting time with you.
    If your in there first do you get the freshest produce?
    The stuff in the supermarket will be just as fresh if not fresher as many growers supply directly to the supermarkets.
    How many bags of spuds do you purchase at a time for wholesale price?
    Some dealers will sell a single bag but again, it will probably be cheaper in your supermarket (unless you are after a particular variety).
    Any help / info greatly appreciated?
    There is no VAT on fruit/veg therefore anyone is entitled to buy in the market (hence there is no 'wholesale' price as such). However you will generally have to buy in bulk which is only really suitable for shops/restaurants etc. and they will buy 2 to 3 times weekly. For example, a box of apples/oranges (100), 25 kgs of onions, bag of cabbage (12 heads), box of peppers (12), 25 kgs of carrots, 24 heads of lettuce, 24 punnets of strawberries and so on.

Unless you and your friends get through a savage amount of fruit/veg it won't really be viable. The special offers in Tesco/Aldi/Lidl are often way below market prices.

I've just realised your title has "Dublin Corporation" fruit/veg market. My post above referred to the Dublin fruit/veg market dealers in the general area as opposed to the ones in the actual covered Corporation market.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Someone once told me there is a lovely greasy spoon in there. Any info on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

@whishbone ash. Thanks for the info much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

North side of the market, nice bacon sandwich if you like the heavy greasy batch type feed however its not cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

We are talking about the one on Newmarket Square, are we?

I'm a regular visitor on Sundays over there, only a few times on Thursdays and Saturdays, so I'm not 100% sure. But from all I know, they do loads of organic and Fair Trade products, which are always a bit more expensive, because they are not mass produced, I guess.

The quality is great though, try the lovely rhubarb tart, homemade by a guy from Kerry...or the bar itself, the cappuchino is just gorgeous :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

The fruit & veg market is behind the bridewell garda station,The fish market was across the road from it, long gone now.

Paddy's Place - was great but closed a few years ago.
    North side of the market, nice bacon sandwich if you like the heavy greasy batch type feed however its not cheap.
    "Brendan's" on Mary's Lane.
    Lars1916 wrote: »
    We are talking about the one on Newmarket Square, are we?

I'm a regular visitor on Sundays over there, only a few times on Thursdays and Saturdays, so I'm not 100% sure. But from all I know, they do loads of organic and Fair Trade products, which are always a bit more expensive, because they are not mass produced, I guess.

The quality is great though, try the lovely rhubarb tart, homemade by a guy from Kerry...or the bar itself, the cappuchino is just gorgeous :)
    No - we're talking about the real commercial market in the area to the west of Capel Street - not one of your fancy arsed "farmer's market".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Brendan's Cafe is savage for a fry-up!

Brendan's Cafe is savage for a fry-up!
    I went in lately for a bacon sandwich and requested not to have batch bread. All the other lads stopped eating to turn around to see who the wimp was!

(The frys are great especially the large one).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I went in lately for a bacon sandwich and requested not to have batch bread. All the other lads stopped eating to turn around to see who the wimp was!

(The frys are great especially the large one).

I was in once a while ago and the woman asked a chap ordering if he wanted tea or coffee with his breakfast. His response was: "Coffee?? What am I, a southsider??"

Advertisement