Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Driver Licence in Waterford

Options
  • 17-01-2013 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭

Has anyone gotten a licence in Waterford in the last few days, my 10 year one is up the 21th of Jan.
    I'm just after the date of the switch to credit card ones.

I got an old renewal letter out, but I hear the motor tax office will not be doing any licences for a switch over week from the 14th to the 21st of Jan.

Also just realised the form I got is wrong I'll have to pay €55 for a 10 year licence. Looks like I'll be taking the bus all next week till I can afford that.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

the ten year only applies to car and bike licences you only can get a five year for bus and truck,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

All licences issued post 19th Jan are to be the credit card type.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

Do they now take your picture or do you have to get them done in a chemist?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Seems to be a bit of controversy over this as they are not processing the old license applications, even though the deadline is the 19th. My parents had theirs returned today despite the form being sent it before the advertised deadline.

The other problem seems to be that you need to pop down the Motor Tax office for the photo - the ones from the pharmacy wont be accepted (from what I understand).

They stopped accepting new licence applications on the 12th of Jan and will issue from the 19th.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

wellboytoo wrote: »
    They stopped accepting new licence applications on the 12th of Jan and will issue from the 19th.

Yeah, seems to be a bit confusing. Any of the adverts I have seen for this (including the one in a Garda Station) suggest all will be okay from the 19th and don't mention the 12th.

200motels wrote: »
    Do they now take your picture
    Applies to the first time applicants only in order to confirm their identity first.

beazee wrote: »
    Applies to the first time applicants only in order to confirm their identity first.
    I think it applies to all future applcants as the photo must be a digital format to be printed on the plastic card. A photograph will not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The neighbour called in Tuesday with her application, they took it off her, gave her a receipt and told her they dont know when she'll get her licence.

She only had a cheque for €25 on her so she had to pay the other €30 too. She handed in signed photos from the chemist. It was a renewal. Her licence is up since before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

the ten year only applies to car and bike licences you only can get a five year for bus and truck,

I think you misunderstood his/her post, they said they couldnt afford to renew and looks like they'll have to take the bus to work/college/school:D

• Advertisement

I think it applies to all future applcants as the photo must be a digital format to be printed on the plastic card. A photograph will not work.

There is a reason why God invented Image Scanners :)
    Will a colour photograph be required?

A colour photograph will need to be provided with your application however on the new NDLS driving licence it will appear as a black and white image. This is due to the secure printing process employed in producing the new licence which uses laser technology to transfer the image onto the card and produces a black and white photograph.
    http://rsa.ie/en/RSA/Licensed-Drivers/Driving-Licence-Changes/Driving-Licence-Changes-January-2013/How-to-apply/
    8 Photographs
    Two identical photographs must be included with your application and both must be signed on the back. As your photograph will be scanned on to your licence it is essential that it meets the standard for driving licences.
    • Recent photograph no more than six months old.
    • Photographs must be in colour.
    • Minimum size 35mm x 45mm, maximum size 38mm x 50mm.
    • Photographs must show a full frontal view with the head centred and not tilted in the photographs.
    • Photographs must be sharp and clear and taken against a plain white background; a dark background is not acceptable.
    • Sunglasses must not be worn, but lightly tinted glasses that show the person’s eyes can be worn.
    • Head coverings, other than for religious reasons are not allowed and hair bands are not acceptable.
    • Photographs must show the whole face including the chin and top of the head.
    • Photographs should not have a ‘red eye’ effect.
    http://rsa.ie/Documents/Licensed%20Drivers/D401_Full_Licence_app_form.pdf

Ahh, I wondered about that, apparently new applicants must have their picture taken in the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

wmpdd3 wrote: »

Also just realised the form I got is wrong I'll have to pay €55 for a 10 year licence. Looks like I'll be taking the bus all next week till I can afford that.

You can renew your licence anytime up to a year after expiry AFAIK so you'll have plenty of time to save!!!!

Have the money now, will be applying for it next week. Credit card has to be a good idea, I just realised my paper one is split where my purse bends, you can see through it!

Advertisement