Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting Windows 7 Laptop to Server

Options
  • 17-01-2013 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi All,

Our company has a file server which all of the PC's are connected to.

The PC's can then access the O and Q drives.

One of the PC's died and now it has been replaced with a Windows 7 Dell Laptop.

I was wondering how I can coonect to the server to access the drives?

The network cable is plugged into the laptop and I can access the internet.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Larry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Assuming that it's a windows server and you have a windows domain...

The server has a name.
    If you type in the name of the server into windows explorer preceeded by two backslashes, your computer should attempt to login and list the fileshares provided by the server.

If you can see this then your laptop is connected to the domain, and you have logged in as an authorised user.

If the network was configured in a standard manner, it should be possible to get the shares mapped automatically as drives by clicking
    "Start " and in the search bar typing "gpupdate /force" and logging out and on again.
    Otherwise it has to be done manually. If you get the path of the share from another computer...
    \\myserver\thishare maps to o:

and follow the instructions...
    http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows7/Create-a-shortcut-to-map-a-network-drive

Advertisement