Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decking maintenance and sealing

• 17-01-2013 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭

Has anyone used a good process/ product for sealing garden decking ? I'm doing a job at the moment its covered in a slippery film - I assume from the wet - thats quite hard to get remove. My plans is to scrub it down and prepare it for a sealing product but after a bit of googling it seems it may not be that straightforward, or at least that some generic sealing products may be a waste of time.

If anyone has any tips I'd be grateful.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

ror_74 wrote: »
    Has anyone used a good process/ product for sealing garden decking ? I'm doing a job at the moment its covered in a slippery film - I assume from the wet - thats quite hard to get remove. My plans is to scrub it down and prepare it for a sealing product but after a bit of googling it seems it may not be that straightforward, or at least that some generic sealing products may be a waste of time.

If anyone has any tips I'd be grateful.
    A decent powerwasher should get rid of slippery layer. Then in summer an oil based stain/product will help to keep it in good order. But you will need to powerwash at least twice a year to prrvent same happening again.
    If you keep pots on your deck move them around so timber under gets a chance to dry out. Not so much of a prob when weather is dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

I used a waterbased stain/preserve, it seems to be working,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Composite decking is the way to go..wont ever rot or wont ever need to be stained or sealed.

Its brilliant stuff indeed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Pic of composite decking.Fantastic stuff indeed.:)

Advertisement