Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil Stove doesnt work after oil ran out

Options
  • 17-01-2013 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Ok, so I have a ''Hunter'' oil stove in the house.

The oil ran out while we had the central heating on, we turned it off, and got more oil. After the tank was filled, I bled the boiler for the central heating, no problems there, it works grand.

I then turned on the stove and it burned for about 10minutes,before going out, by itself (I'm guessing it burned whatever oil was left in the pipe) now no oil is coming into the stove. I didn't think it had to be bled because its gravity fed? or does it?? please help, i miss it :(

PS it runs on kerosene

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭gaelicyoda

Might have been a second air pocket?

You probably just need to bleed it again...

• Registered Users Posts: 21 diarmaid21

Thanks gaelicyoda! but i didnt think it needed to be bled because it is gravity fed,,i bled the boiler, but as far as i know, that has nothing to do with the stove?

if i do need to bleed it, any idea how?

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭boiler break downs

diarmaid21 wrote: »
    Thanks gaelicyoda! but i didnt think it needed to be bled because it is gravity fed,,i bled the boiler, but as far as i know, that has nothing to do with the stove?

if i do need to bleed it, any idea how?

Thanks again!
    clean the filters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Does the Stove have its own Oil supply pipe ??

How much oil did you purchase ??

Do you have enough head (min 630mm) ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

It needs to be bled through the float valve. There is also a stem pin that could be blocked. Be careful though as they can be tricky.
    Check the float valve to see of there is oil in it as the line to this is more than likely air locked.

• Advertisement

ok Billy Bunting, I didn’t get much, only about 180 litres, If by ''head'' you mean the amount of oil above the tap, then it defiantly isn't 630mm. But if that matters, why did it work until the minute it ran below the tap?

Shane, I didn’t know it had a float valve, is that the little box behind in the back? the same box that controls the flame size? if so how do i bleed it?

if the stem pin is what i think it is then it’s not that, because the oil isn't even getting that far.

Thanks for the fast reply’s guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Ideally your stove should have an independent oil supply with a min head (height from top of oil to base of stove)of 630mm, it may well of worked in the past but if your oil burner shares the oil line then the oil pump on the burner will tend to rob the gravity flow to the stove, more fuel may get it moving again.

Shane, I didn’t know it had a float valve, is that the little box behind in the back? the same box that controls the flame size? if so how do i bleed it?

Yes, it is behind the stove. Have you switched on the arming lever?

The minimum distance from the bottom of the tank to the top of the float valve should be 300mm.

Depending upon what float valve you have, Toby, BM, etc. they differ slightly on how to arm with fuel. Switch on the arming lever. Turn to maximum & tap the actuating pin if fitted. This will clear any blockage in the valve if any.

If the same oil line feeds both appliances, the oil boiler will definitely win out. As Billy says, they should be piped separately. Make sure the oil boiler is switched off whilst trying to get the stove fuelled.

Failing that, you may have to crack open the joint to the valve to get fuel flowing.

its a toby, it had oil in it, but i let it out thinking it would then let the air out of the pipe, if that makes sense? but now its empty, and no oil comming in. the tank is defently high enough, two seperte oil lines and boiler is off....

Have you switched on the arming lever? (Lift up to arm)

• Advertisement

if thats the nob you turn to let the oil in, and controll flame size, then yes...i craked open the hose going into the valve, and thers oil coming out of it

No not the control knob. There is a small lever on the side of the body of the valve. It needs to be armed. Put in the up position.

What model Toby do you have?

oh sorry, yeah i've done that and its still not filling, sould the controll nob be on or off?

sould the controll nob be on or off?

On

Did you get it sorted?

shane0007 wrote: »
    Did you get it sorted?
    No Shane.. The valve still isn't filling up, any thoughts?

You first need to determine if there is oil FLOW to the valve. If you losses the connection, I know you said there was oil but if you put a container there, do you have a continuous oil flow?
    If not, first check to ensure the remote acting fire valve is open and allowing oil flow. If yes, then air lock on line.
    If yes, then we know the issue is with the valve itself. Make sure the arming lever is on. Turn control knob to full. Could be a blockage of dirt in the float entry.

shane0007 wrote: »
    You first need to determine if there is oil FLOW to the valve. If you losses the connection, I know you said there was oil but if you put a container there, do you have a continuous oil flow?
    If not, first check to ensure the remote acting fire valve is open and allowing oil flow. If yes, then air lock on line.
    If yes, then we know the issue is with the valve itself. Make sure the arming lever is on. Turn control knob to full. Could be a blockage of dirt in the float entry.
    Ya,when I loosen the connection no oil comes out, it just emptied whatever was left in the line, so must be an airlock? What's the best way to tackle that?

• Advertisement
Advertisement