Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Gaming Master Race

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I thought this was a pretty cool. Good for anyone wanting to test the water with PC gaming.

Sort of shows that you don't have to spend 1000's to beable to play PC games. Im sure you could get things cheaper/more powerful if you weren't limited to small form factor etc too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

If youre a complete noob to PC and PC gaming, ill tell you this bit of advice, cause trust me, it may seem bleedin obvious to 99% of us but ive seen a couple of people i know do it:

Every game has adjustable graphics options
    Very important is to make sure you set the games resolution to that of your monitors native resolution
    If your game is at a lower resolution than your monitor, your image will be pretty crappy looking and youll wonder what the hell all this master race business is all about

Seriously ive seen people playing on a 1440x900 monitor in 1280x720 or even worse 1280x1024. Yes its obvious now, but i remember even when i got my first PC in 1998 i had no clue about that ****. Played Quake in like 640x480 for ages cause i didnt know any better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

If youre a complete noob to PC and PC gaming, ill tell you this bit of advice, cause trust me, it may seem bleedin obvious to 99% of us but ive seen a couple of people i know do it:

Every game has adjustable graphics options
    Very important is to make sure you set the games resolution to that of your monitors native resolution
    If your game is at a lower resolution than your monitor, your image will be pretty crappy looking and youll wonder what the hell all this master race business is all about

Seriously ive seen people playing on a 1440x900 monitor in 1280x720 or even worse 1280x1024. Yes its obvious now, but i remember even when i got my first PC in 1998 i had no clue about that ****. Played Quake in like 640x480 for ages cause i didnt know any better!

On a kindof similar vein, I never knew what the native resolution of my old CRT monitor was. I just kept increasing it until it looked all right and filled the screen.

Just wikipedia'd it now, and it seems most people did the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Oh yeah and if you are putting it together yourself, those little brass risers that come with the case, they are fairly important! When I built my first gaming pc, (around a grands worth) I never read a guide and just winged it. I did install the risers but it was more fluke than wisdom. That was a lucky day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I know it's often forgot, and rare that it happens.

But - something missing from the above video that should be there, the use of an anti-static wrist strap.
    Especially when touching any internal components such as CPU / Motherboard etc .

It's more likely depending on clothing your wearing and the floor surfaces in your house, so sometimes it's needed. Don't be building on carpet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭Wossack

Ive not seen an anti static strap in about a decade :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Wossack wrote: »

You get them sometimes with new Motherboards.
    Also on sale in any PC Hardware store.

They were compulsory in my old job,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Wossack wrote: »

reminded me of this..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

SeantheMan wrote: »
    You get them sometimes with new Motherboards.
    Also on sale in any PC Hardware store.

They were compulsory in my old job,
    I've never used them. I do touch a radiator or something grounded to try and get rid of any static before I do anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

If you had an unlimited budget to spend on a Desktop, what would you buy?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

areyawell wrote: »

I'd still only spend like 800 euro and then again another 800 euro in a year or two if you were loaded. Top of the range is such a waste of money. Just below is a lot better value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭Wossack

ScumLord wrote: »
    I've never used them. I do touch a radiator or something grounded to try and get rid of any static before I do anything.

ditto

radiator / rack / chassis etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

areyawell wrote: »

supercomputer.jpg&w=630&h=250&zc=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

I have bf3 for ps3 and pc, 200 hrs on the ps3 @ 576p because of input lag and less than 10 hrs @ 1080p ultra quality on pc.

Sure better graphics are nice but they aren't very important in a great game.

Op, total war series, football manager. These are the two game series I've played on pc since 2002.
    I have bf3 for pc and ps3.It is
    ridiculous the difference in the games. Pc version is a far superior game mechanically, better choice of servers, map size and much much prettier too. I do feel I am missing a lot playing fps games without a mouse unless it's halo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I have bf3 for pc and ps3.It is
    ridiculous the difference in the games. Pc version is a far superior game mechanically, better choice of servers, map size and much much prettier too. I do feel I am missing a lot playing fps games without a mouse unless it's halo.

I got bf3 for the pc first but I was too impatient with the controls, even bought a new mouse to map all the controls but after the first hour or two of playing and spending 5 secs trying to get my med pack or defib out etc. I gave up and just got it for the ps3 because I had played the beta on it and had kicked ass.

I never play multiplayer fps' on the pc so my skills would be a bit rusty, better than average though with a 1.8 K/D and 1.47 W/L but I've a 3.9 K/D and 3.44 W/L on ps3. So it's more enjoyable on the ps3 getting 39-10 and winning than 18-10 and losing on pc. Sure pc is technically superior but not more fun, for me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I got bf3 for the pc first but I was too impatient with the controls, even bought a new mouse to map all the controls but after the first hour or two of playing and spending 5 secs trying to get my med pack or defib out etc. I gave up and just got it for the ps3 because I had played the beta on it and had kicked ass.

I never play multiplayer fps' on the pc so my skills would be a bit rusty, better than average though with a 1.8 K/D and 1.47 W/L but I've a 3.9 K/D and 3.44 W/L on ps3. So it's more enjoyable on the ps3 getting 39-10 and winning than 18-10 and losing on pc. Sure pc is technically superior but not more fun, for me anyway.

Its number 3 for med pack and 4 for defib, they are right above QWER

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Its number 3 for med pack and 4 for defib, they are right above QWER

I know that :D but I had remapped them and in the middle of firefight even pressing the wrong button once would often get me killed, as I said I didn''t have the patience to become one with the pc controls so I went to the ps3 which I enjoyed more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I just read that sony are ditching the dualshock for a motion sensor gimmicky pad. I'm leaning towards the valve console when it comes out. Does anyone know if this will have the superior pc graphics but will fit under my telly in a small box with a comfortable wireless joypad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I just read that sony are ditching the dualshock for a motion sensor gimmicky pad. I'm leaning towards the valve console when it comes out. Does anyone know if this will have the superior pc graphics but will fit under my telly in a small box with a comfortable wireless joypad?

It should work with any PC gamepad So a 70 quid xbox pad should work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

It should work with any PC gamepad So a 70 quid xbox pad should work

The default pad is modelled after the xbox? I hate the xbox joypad, hopefully it will work with a generic pc pad shaped like a dualshock.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

razer's designers need to lay off the coke. charging almost 3 times the price of a regular wireless pad and only adding a couple of buttons and an lcd screen

:confused:

You have to remember like 3/4 buttons lol, not rocket science :P Guessing you don't fair well in RTS games !

BF3 is one of the easiest shooters on PC to do well on imo, seems to be saturated with noobs. Been playing quite a bit of it recently, much better than on the consoles tbh.

Magill wrote: »
    :confused:

You have to remember like 3/4 buttons lol, not rocket science :P Guessing you don't fair well in RTS games !

BF3 is one of the easiest shooters on PC to do well on imo, seems to be saturated with noobs. Been playing quite a bit of it recently, much better than on the consoles tbh.

But your battlelog stats aren't great so it mustn't be that easy for you :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

You got 1.8 k/d and you got problems to find med pack.... I got 1.52 k/d and I got 160h in to bf3 with **** loads experience in PC gaming.

I smell bull**** ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Im the same trying to transition from Pad to keyboard is a struggle for a life long console gamer. The keyboard is just such a limited gaming control system. The amount of times I got shot looking down trying to find the correct key :) I'm sure it's the same if it's reversed for someone who has played all there life on keyboard trying to pick up a pad for the first time it must feel just as alien.

Coming from a world where i can move in 360 different directions to a world where you can move in 8 directions was hard. Also that lack of being able to move at different speeds. I remember asking how do you just move slowly like on a controller where you barely tip the stick and you creep. You can't a controller lets you creep, walk and jog and then sprint. Keyboard you can jog or sprint!

The mouse on the other hand is one of the easiest things to use it took a little messing with sensitivity to slow it down but works really well, almost too good its just point and click not that much skill required compared to being good on a pad.

I tried using a control pad on PC but with everyone else using a mouse I was finishing around mid table.

So now I have a hybrid control system I have the Sony Nav for movement and the mouse for looking and shooting. Full range of movement with 8 buttons mapped to the Nav for swapping out med packs or rocket launcher, sprinting, jumping, reloading and getting into vehicles. 8 buttons on the mouse mapped for shooting, zooming, changing weapons etc.

Never mind when I get into a helicopter and can actually fly the thing like a bad ass with the stick instead of turning on my side and crashing into a building 3 seconds after leaving the ground.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Dont see the point in K/D ratio as a basis for skill in BF3 at all.
    Most people use different weapons constantly, i know im always changing weapons for assignments and to fulfill whatever their squad needs.
    Ill more than likely not get good K/D ratio doing so but i enjoy assignments and supporting what my team and squad needs before any K/D.
    If i was to stick with weapons i know i do well with my K/D would be dramatically different.
    For example i went 87-23 lastnight while using one of my favourites the AN-94.
    I swapped over to the MP5 to unlock some stuff on the next map and didnt do anywhere near as good.
    Soon after on sharqi we were overrun by aircraft, i swapped to sniper for soflam to aid in taking aircraft down but all our flags were overrun so i had to find a spot away from trouble and manually lock onto targets while my squadies let rip with javelins, think i only got about 11 kills put a tonne of assists that arent reflected in K/D,we lost the game but for once the enemy pilots had a lot to think about.

Bugs the hell out of me when a team needs something bad yet the whole team ignore the fact and carry on their merry way.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Im the same trying to transition from Pad to keyboard is a struggle for a life long console gamer. The keyboard is just such a limited gaming control system. The amount of times I got shot looking down trying to find the correct key :) I'm sure it's the same if it's reversed for someone who has played all there life on keyboard trying to pick up a pad for the first time it must feel just as alien.

Coming from a world where i can move in 360 different directions to a world where you can move in 8 directions was hard. Also that lack of being able to move at different speeds. I remember asking how do you just move slowly like on a controller where you barely tip the stick and you creep. You can't a controller lets you creep, walk and jog and then sprint. Keyboard you can jog or sprint!

The mouse on the other hand is one of the easiest things to use it took a little messing with sensitivity to slow it down but works really well, almost too good its just point and click not that much skill required compared to being good on a pad.

I tried using a control pad on PC but with everyone else using a mouse I was finishing around mid table.

So now I have a hybrid control system I have the Sony Nav for movement and the mouse for looking and shooting. Full range of movement with 8 buttons mapped to the Nav for swapping out med packs or rocket launcher, sprinting, jumping, reloading and getting into vehicles. 8 buttons on the mouse mapped for shooting, zooming, changing weapons etc.

Never mind when I get into a helicopter and can actually fly the thing like a bad ass with the stick instead of turning on my side and crashing into a building 3 seconds after leaving the ground.

Thats the first time ive heard anyone say a keyboard is a limited control system :eek:

Ive seen mates come to my place and adjust to PC controls in an hour or less, most of them end up dropping their console and buying a PC and never looking back.
    As for walking,jogging etc, very few games need this,its more than enough to crouch down and walk for slower pace.
    ARMA for example is different however, and it does offer varying speeds of walking/running.

For flying i use a joystick, nothing comes close imo, yeah you can fly with mouse but with the joystick it just feels right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Dcully wrote: »
    Thats the first time ive heard anyone say a keyboard is a limited control system :eek:

Ive seen mates come to my place and adjust to PC controls in an hour or less, most of them end up dropping their console and buying a PC and never looking back.
    As for walking,jogging etc, very few games need this,its more than enough to crouch down and walk for slower pace.
    ARMA for example is different however, and it does offer varying speeds of walking/running.

For flying i use a joystick, nothing comes close imo, yeah you can fly with mouse but with the joystick it just feels right.

To be fair to the keyboard it was never designed for gaming it was a by product when people started to make games on computers. While a pad has only ever had one purpose.

But your battlelog stats aren't great so it mustn't be that easy for you :P

Well, i wouldn't call a 2.3 k/d on a game where i've still not played some of the maps bad either(Not that K/D means a lot in BF). Battlefield isn't a skill based game, once you know the maps and where the chokepoints are any clown can do well. Having a high win/loss ratio is almost entirely down to your team(More so on PC with 64 man servers).
    To be fair to the keyboard it was never designed for gaming it was a by product when people started to make games on computers. While a pad has only ever had one purpose.

Their are advantages and disadvantages to both. Mouse and keyboard is still by FAR the best solution for shooters tho. Just takes some getting used to. Have a look at some of the quake/UT movement guides on youtube, or even slower paced games like CoD/BF/CS. The difference in the movement possible is huge between the two platforms.

Also, while you might think the hybrid you're using is better, its really not. Otherwise you'd have seen the professional competitive players using them a long time ago ! Honestly, just put some time into it.

Oh... as for flying, im useless at it too, its definitely a lot harder to get good at without a pad. But again, i think its one of those things that once you learn how to do it you'll be a beast. Some of the guys i've seen on PC in the jets/choppers have been insane, donno if they were using a joystick or what, but most forums online seem to suggest just getting good with the mouse and keyboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Dcully wrote: »

I have to say, even as a someone with almost zero interest in consoles and a total contempt for pads, the ability to choose your movement speed is a genuinely good argument in an analog stick's favour. I doubt it would matter very much, as you said, most games have run>walk>crouch, but I can see how the ability to choose a specific speed, and accelerate/decelerate seamlessly through that scale, is superior and would be sorely missed when gone.

Keyboard/mouse is still vastly superior all round though.

Advertisement