Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Gaming Master Race

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

But going by the length of your previous post, and your posts on boards, there is no way you are a one-finger-wonder on the keyboard.
    You instinctively know where the buttons are.

And for the most part in PC gaming, it's W A S D , Space bar, Ctrl and maybe E or F and few other keys here and there.

I find it harder jumping into Console FPS from PC, because half the games have auto-assist , and it takes forever to line up a shot correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Magill wrote: »
    Well, i wouldn't call a 2.3 k/d on a game where i've still not played some of the maps bad either(Not that K/D means a lot in BF). Battlefield isn't a skill based game, once you know the maps and where the chokepoints are any clown can do well. Having a high win/loss ratio is almost entirely down to your team(More so on PC with 64 man servers).

Their are advantages and disadvantages to both. Mouse and keyboard is still by FAR the best solution for shooters tho. Just takes some getting used to. Have a look at some of the quake/UT movement guides on youtube, or even slower paced games like CoD/BF/CS. The difference in the movement possible is huge between the two platforms.

Also, while you might think the hybrid you're using is better, its really not. Otherwise you'd have seen the professional competitive players using them a long time ago ! Honestly, just put some time into it.

Oh... as for flying, im useless at it too, its definitely a lot harder to get good at without a pad. But again, i think its one of those things that once you learn how to do it you'll be a beast. Some of the guys i've seen on PC in the jets/choppers have been insane, donno if they were using a joystick or what, but most forums online seem to suggest just getting good with the mouse and keyboard.

2.3 K/D in something like Tribes Ascend IS impresive! :D I love to play deathmatch in Tribes and there your K/D is all about skills.

BF3 K/D is a minot stat, i agree. good few games i was playing a medic and looking after me squad buddies. We were all on vent and defending one point in map. I managed to make it 13kills and 1 death just for one of our squad buddies at one stage of the battle, it went later on to something like 30 kills 4 deaths. He died so many times, but i just doing everything to keep everyone up. My k/d was crap after that match, but i made such a huge difference im battle and it was very satisfying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

I got bf3 for the pc first but I was too impatient with the controls, even bought a new mouse to map all the controls but after the first hour or two of playing and spending 5 secs trying to get my med pack or defib out etc. I gave up and just got it for the ps3 because I had played the beta on it and had kicked ass.

I never play multiplayer fps' on the pc so my skills would be a bit rusty, better than average though with a 1.8 K/D and 1.47 W/L but I've a 3.9 K/D and 3.44 W/L on ps3. So it's more enjoyable on the ps3 getting 39-10 and winning than 18-10 and losing on pc. Sure pc is technically superior but not more fun, for me anyway.
    I hear ya man. Did much better k/D ratio on ps3 myself also. Took me 30 hours to adjust to pc gaming again and get a decentish k/D ratio. And my that I mean breaking even with slight comfort. ;-)

ya should give it another shot at some stage again though,nothing like 48/64player caspian on rush ;-)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

My kdr in BF3 does not bear mentioning. Then again I'm top busy trying to play the objective to care too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,464 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

5uspect wrote: »
    My kdr in BF3 does not bear mentioning. Then again I'm top busy trying to play the objective to care too much.

Pity not alot of players have that attitude

I rather play with players that are not that great but always go for the objectives than the kdr whores

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Dcully wrote: »
    So so so many games on PC you simply cannot and would not be able to play on sonsoles.
    Agreed. OP, buy ARMA2, and find the millions of mods still being played. The free mods. Fcuk the DLC's that you have to pay money for.

Warning; once you get into ARMA2, you may never go back to BF3.

the_syco wrote: »
    Agreed. OP, buy ARMA2, and find the millions of mods still being played. The free mods. Fcuk the DLC's that you have to pay money for.

Warning; once you get into ARMA2, you may never go back to BF3.

Bought ARMA, got dayZ mod. Played, uninstalled and gone back to bf3. Honestly ARMA would be one of those hit and miss things.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Bought ARMA, got dayZ mod. Played, uninstalled and gone back to bf3. Honestly ARMA would be one of those hit and miss things.

Were you playing Dayz by yourself? Imo that the wrong way to play it especially for new players

I really don't like the ARMA II engine. It just feels clunky. The engine feels as if it judders along making it feel extremely unpolished. Animations seem to run at a much lower frame rate to the actual game. Your own vision stabilises your field of view as you move, the movement in ARMA II feels as if every movement is amplified.

This and the horrendously over complicated interface with that stupid menu system.

Hopefully ARMA III feels better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,464 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Elder Scrolls online will be my first MMO :)

I really don't like the ARMA II engine. It just feels clunky. The engine feels as if it judders along making it feel extremely unpolished. Animations seem to run at a much lower frame rate to the actual game. Your own vision stabilises your field of view as you move, the movement in ARMA II feels as if every movement is amplified.

This and the horrendously over complicated interface with that stupid menu system.

Hopefully ARMA III feels better.

That's how I would summit up. I know what's the idea of dayZ and it is brilliant, but the engine itself is shiet. It feels clunky, animation are bad. World detail is very low too.

I do give it credit as it is unfinished game and it is only a mod. It's still a great achievement, but it would not be the game, which I would use to show what PC gaming is. Plus it is very strongly like or hate in the end of the day.

Games like LoL, dota2, Starcraft, wow, Diablo, minecraft, bf3, tribes, hawken, are only the start which should be used to show what PC gaming is about.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I don't think the Arma 2 engine is bad at all considering the scale or the maps. I also the think the movement was designed in a way to make it more realistic. Agree the animation isn't the best though.

I do appreciate the gameplay of Arma is a love it or hate it thing though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

To those who gave up on arma2 ,dayz etc ,you need too play Wasteland before passing judgment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Headshot wrote: »
    Pity not alot of players have that attitude

I rather play with players that are not that great but always go for the objectives than the kdr whores

Why can't you do both? I'd prefer to be playing with someone who can play the objective while staying alive rather than someone playing the objective and dying the whole time.

Why can't you do both? I'd prefer to be playing with someone who can play the objective while staying alive rather than someone playing the objective and dying the whole time.

Nobody is saying that you shouldn't try to stay alive, I don't enjoy getting killed, but I'm just not good enough sometimes. On the other hand I'm sick of idiots sniping from spawn, camping in geometry, refusing to push the objective because they're worried about their precious kdr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I played TF2: Mann vs Machine for the first time last night
    on Mac

Meant to waste 45 mins.

Stayed on for nearly 3 hours...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    on Mac

Meant to waste 45 mins.

It's brilliant, I did all them when it first came out and then did all the expert ones too (where you had to buy vouchers etc) - but haven't gone back in a few months. The amount of people seemed to drop off playing it if you didn't have a group

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    on Mac

Meant to waste 45 mins.

Indeed. Little beats TF2 when it comes to fun. Although I spent an embarrassing amount of time in planetside 2 yesterday piloting a gunship while friends manned the cannons. Pretty sure it convinced one of them to get a gaming rig...

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

BF3 (alongside the other BF games on PC) are games that reward certain types of play.

Capping/destroying objectives (especially in rush) simply isn't one of them.
    It's one of the main reason I can't play most of the BF games for extended periods - It is so frustrating to be killed by talentless idiots who simply sit staring at the way in to the objectives. In BC2 there were some maps in which the attacking team was simply running in to a meat grinder of grenade/LMG/Claymore spam.

Then of course there is operation metro, which gives me an ulcer even thinking about it.

BF has always rewarded people for camping over anything else(think titan corridors in BF2142). I don't trust DICE to improve the metagame of the BF series - they seem to prefer making maps which are technical showpieces over maps which are balanced and promote a competitive/enjoyable game. I would swap maps which have pretty waterfalls or base jumping for an ugly map, with one big green texture, but was balanced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I should really buy CS:GO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Hercule wrote: »
    BF3 (alongside the other BF games on PC) are games that reward certain types of play.

Capping/destroying objectives (especially in rush) simply isn't one of them.
    It's one of the main reason I can't play most of the BF games for extended periods - It is so frustrating to be killed by talentless idiots who simply sit staring at the way in to the objectives. In BC2 there were some maps in which the attacking team was simply running in to a meat grinder of grenade/LMG/Claymore spam.

So much fun playing Rush and killing talentless idiots who just run into the line of fire.

BF is all about those chokepoints and "winning" one of them means your team takes the objective.

Its sort of the point of Battlefield.....play as a team take objectives.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,087 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I know I'll get slated for saying this but I just couldn't get into TF2. I've no idea what all the fuss is about. I downloaded it after Sean put up a recommendation but it just seems like COD with the Source engine. I must be missing something.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

I know I'll get slated for saying this but I just couldn't get into TF2. I've no idea what all the fuss is about. I downloaded it after Sean put up a recommendation but it just seems like COD with the Source engine. I must be missing something.

GET OUT!!!

I love when people cry about camping in BF3.

Sorry I am not running like headless chicken, so you can spawn behind me and kill me from behind.

I love bf3 style, where you defend your position as much as possible and war turns in to positional battle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

TF2... seems like COD with the Source engine.

:eek:

Can't say I've ever heard that comparison. Not spent many hours playing TF2, but I'd never have thought that.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

dreamers75 wrote: »
    So much fun playing Rush and killing talentless idiots who just run into the line of fire.

BF is all about those chokepoints and "winning" one of them means your team takes the objective.

Its sort of the point of Battlefield.....play as a team take objectives.

The defending team on rush doesn't "earn" or take the control of most chokepoints (or need to play as a team to win) It's due to the poor map design that the defending team effectively spawns in the advantageous positions, with little scope for the attacking team to do anything but trudge down death alley - it happens at least one point in all of the rush maps.

Call of Duty and Counter-Strike has managed to have this done right on so many maps for years now

Its' not as prevalent in conquest and can be avoided or worked around in most maps (aside from the odd exception like the aforementioned russian bias clusterf*** that is Operation Metro)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

1334076140359.jpg
    :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I really enjoyed TF2 until they really started messing with hats etc then it lost all appeal to me and i havent played it since

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

May God have mercy on your soul.

Advertisement