Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Gaming Master Race

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I also found tf2 pretty god damn boring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I tried to get in to tf2 countless times, but I get bored of it very fast.

I had it reinstalled maybe 5 times already and it just gets back to the abyss of "steam non favourite" list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I tried to get in to tf2 countless times, but I get bored of it very fast.

I had it reinstalled maybe 5 times already and it just gets back to the abyss of "steam non favourite" list.

I like it, it's fun but I also get bored of it very quickly.

I like it, it's fun but I also get bored of it very quickly.

I really really want to like it and get in to it, but it is just pure meh for me after few rounds. I do realise there are a lot of people who love it, fair play to them, but it is defenetly not the best game EVER.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

While I love TF2, a remake of TFC with the Source engine and all the same maps would make me possibly the happiest man on earth.

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »
    While I love TF2, a remake of TFC with the Source engine and all the same maps would make me possibly the happiest man on earth.

Was that the one with point system and loud outs ? I freakingloved that one!

Conc'ing, all about the conc'ing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

I spent too many hours to count playing TFC and I was hoping that TF2 would have same pull but for me it just felt like something was missing. Just couldn't get into it no matter how hard I tried.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

http://www.fortress-forever.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Another non-fan of TF2 here. I think its only as popular as it is because its looks make it particularly meme-worthy. Its core game is only mediocre but its presentation sells itself. Its like a cartoon really, especially with all the "meet the.." videos. I like those more than i like the game. And dont get me started on the hats rubbish :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I don't get people giving out about the hats?

I don't really care for them tbh, and I generally ignore them, it's not like it's something that hugely (or at all) impacts your gameplay. If other people want to obsess over what hat/mask/suit they have more power to them, but it doesn't effect those who don't care about them in any way so I never get why it could put people off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Its core game is only mediocre but its presentation sells itself.

I very strongly disagree with this.
    I find it to be one of the most finely balanced games out there.

Every class has a job and any class can top the score board if used correctly.
    Granted some are harder to use than others but they are the ones that can be absolutely devastating. Scout and Spy spring to mind as some of the most difficult to use properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Never mind the abortion debate, not liking TF2 is just... I mean... This needs legislation, and fast.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

My hat makes me invincible and everyone is jealous of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

This thread has turned into a TF2 haters club. Bunch of wierdos all of you. Don't let Gaben hear you say any of that stuff or he'll have you kidnapped and turned into hats. (I hear he can do that).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Another non-fan of TF2 here. I think its only as popular as it is because its looks make it particularly meme-worthy. Its core game is only mediocre but its presentation sells itself. Its like a cartoon really, especially with all the "meet the.." videos. I like those more than i like the game. And dont get me started on the hats rubbish :rolleyes:

Eh ? only mediocre ? its core gameplay is one of the reasons its the most played FPS on PC or at least second, i don't think EA give out their player stats so not sure on BF3 numbers. Its made extremely well.. the games netcode is second only to CS. Its got a really good skill curve.. easy enough to play, but very difficult to master. Competitively it is really strong and quite balanced, maybe not the most popular on the pro scene but still. Maps are hugely diverse and well designed(Well, if you count the popular customer maps etc). All the classes are fun in their own way. Would love to know what you think are good shooters.

Besides the actual gameplay the game has by far the best developer support of any FPS released to date. Its got a great community (One that as primarily a CS player am very jealous of !).

Hats i have no problem with (No sane person should...). Its only a fun cosmetic thing, the trading/drop system works really well as a incentive to keep coming back for more.

IMO, its a perfect example of how to make a FPS MP game.

P.S. I understand its not for everyone, everyones entitled to their opinion etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,087 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Much as I love Valve, I wish people wouldn't put their games on pedestals. Most of the praise they get is well earned but as well constructed as they are, sometimes they're not that much fun to play. That's obviously subjective but TF2 does absolutely nothing for me. Played it a couple of times before I got fed up of it. Tried really hard to like it but honestly, COD beats it every time for me.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

I know I'll get slated for saying this but I just couldn't get into TF2. I've no idea what all the fuss is about. I downloaded it after Sean put up a recommendation but it just seems like COD with the Source engine. I must be missing something.
    Much as I love Valve, I wish people wouldn't put their games on pedestals. Most of the praise they get is well earned but as well constructed as they are, sometimes they're not that much fun to play. That's obviously subjective but TF2 does absolutely nothing for me. Played it a couple of times before I got fed up of it. Tried really hard to like it but honestly, COD beats it every time for me.

Which one is it? :)

I'm the complete opposite myself, I've loathed COD since MW2.
    TF2 however is a great game where, unlike COD, teamwork is heavily promoted. The classes are perfectly balanced for this too. A lot of classes are also very versatile. And gawd I love playing Spy ruining someone's ****, or if I'm lucky a row of people pushing the cart.

Also unlike a lot of 'modern' shooters the cartoon style allows for classes that are a lot tougher. Going one on one with someone isn't always a quick kill (unless you get a crit) eliminating the helpless bull**** factor you often come across in COD or BF.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,087 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

5uspect wrote: »
    Which one is it? :)

What do you mean?

I'm not disputing that TF2 is a well put together game, I just don't enjoy it at all. I'm sure it's well balanced and I can see why people find it charming but it's just not for me. I'm not too fond of playing FPSs online but the original Modern Warfare is my first choice for the odd time I indulge in it.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

What do you mean?

I'm not disputing that TF2 is a well put together game, I just don't enjoy it at all. I'm sure it's well balanced and I can see why people find it charming but it's just not for me. I'm not too fond of playing FPSs online but the original Modern Warfare is my first choice for the odd time I indulge in it.

Ah I was just teasing you that you initially said that it seems just like COD with the Source engine, then said that COD is always better. You were kinda contradicting yourself there a bit.

Anyway, if you don't like it, then you don't have to. There's no excuse for liking COD tho! ;)

• Advertisement

5uspect wrote: »
    Ah I was just teasing you that you initially said that it seems just like COD with the Source engine, then said that COD is always better. You were kinda contradicting yourself there a bit.

Anyway, if you don't like it, then you don't have to. There's no excuse for liking COD tho! ;)

Fair enough. I'm not going to run the game down just because I don't like it. I have no trouble believing that it's well constructed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,116 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

So i've just ordered it, same as the recommended build with the better PSU.

Hopefully i've transferred the money using the right details, so i can get confirmation and dispatch tomorrow!

And, once received and built, i can get my eliteness on!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Parts arrived for my new build yesterday and spent a happy few hours putting it altogether, been playing Planetside 2 for most of the day and its basically a different game thanks to my new 3570k.
    I am once again a happy member of the master race :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

Parts for my own new build are arriving today :D

After many years away from PC gaming I'm getting back into it. Can't wait to build it and get it up and running!

Master race here I come :D

Does anyone know how long it takes to receive even a confirmation mail from harwareversand? Ordered it last night at about 11.30, used the Order History tab to get the details, send the payment through Open24 straight away using the correct details, and i've got nothing from them yet.

Order History is still saying "Online-Order".

I think i'm going to have giddy amounts of patience with this (ie: none!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

Does anyone know how long it takes to receive even a confirmation mail from harwareversand? Ordered it last night at about 11.30, used the Order History tab to get the details, send the payment through Open24 straight away using the correct details, and i've got nothing from them yet.

Mine order status didn't change until the payment was received. I did receive an email though about the order. If you didn't "express" the transfer it can take a few days. I paid for express payment, it was sent monday morning and they received it a few hours later. Then my package was shipped same day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

International Bank Transfers can take a few working days. When they receive the payment they'll prepare your order.

Guess i won't be getting it before next weekend... :( Going to be hard looking at the parts, or even building it but having to wait another week or two before i get my copy of Win 7 Pro...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Bear in mind since it is an international transfer the might not receive the money immediately, its possible it could take a couple of days to arrive in their account, but they usually process the entire order (confirm and ship) within about 24 hours of receiving the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Guess i won't be getting it before next weekend... :( Going to be hard looking at the parts, or even building it but having to wait another week or two before i get my copy of Win 7 Pro...

You might get it by next Friday, just hope that they receive the payment by tmrw afternoon.

You can download a trial version of Windows 7 Pro from here and then input the key when you get it.

Advertisement