Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Gaming Master Race

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,116 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Might just do that, thanks Tij! And also, thanks again for the build recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Guess i won't be getting it before next weekend... :( Going to be hard looking at the parts, or even building it but having to wait another week or two before i get my copy of Win 7 Pro...

<SNIP> Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Guess i won't be getting it before next weekend... :( Going to be hard looking at the parts, or even building it but having to wait another week or two before i get my copy of Win 7 Pro...

Put my payment through online last wednesday, got confirmation they received it on thursday and my stuff arrived tuesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

VinLieger wrote: »
    Put my payment through online last wednesday, got confirmation they received it on thursday and my stuff arrived tuesday
    Sometimes it's sad knowing you've got your uber PC and you probably won't have to upgrade it for years. You'd miss the excitement of a new build.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

Waiting all day at home for UPS to arrive and not a sign of them. This is the most frustrating thing about ordering online! I would have paid extra for a guaranteed before 12 delivery but HVWS had no such option - I could be on my PC now! The last time I waited for a delivery, DHL brought it to the wrong address :mad:

I have to wait until 7 at the latest :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Anyone try this tool from nVidia for optimising games?
    http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/geforce-experience-open-beta-launched#

Supported games
    http://www.geforce.com/drivers/geforce-experience/supported-games

I haven't tried yet. I'm using a Radeon card so mightn't work for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Doesn't have ArmA on there, I care not! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

It finally arrived and I've built it. Going good so far but the PSU I got has a loud coil whine :(

One Question: The windows 7 home 64bit that I got from HWVS is in German - before I open it can I change the language when installing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

funny how there were enough requests for 1440p support that they included it. I guess those korean screens are selling very well

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

ScumLord wrote: »
    Sometimes it's sad knowing you've got your uber PC and you probably won't have to upgrade it for years. You'd miss the excitement of a new build.

Is building one really that much fun?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,116 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Haven't even got confirmation yet, but i know it's going to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yes ive only built 2, my second was on tuesday and i may have been more excited to simply build it than to actually play any games on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

yes it is. ive built maybe 20-30 pcs in the last 12-18 months and ive always enjoyed building them some of us enjoy building so much that we suffer from the upgrade itch everytime new shiny tech comes out:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

It is if it's your own and it's a really good one. I was loving it when I built my first one. A lot of subsequent builds and upgrades that I've done with cheaper, non-gaming PCs have been a bit of a chore but some people do still get enjoyment out of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Wow. Maybe it's to do with seeing Windows load for the first time.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Well it is kinda nice to see it load up quicker than an X Box, I know that much.

<huggles SSD>

ssd's are a must have at this point

used to really wreck my head having to reboot and I'd never turn my computer off at night so I wouldn't have to wait for it to boot in the mornings

now it only takes about 10 seconds to start up so I turn it off when I'm going in to the kitchen to cook, it's stupidly fast

ScumLord wrote: »

Which is why you do what I do and every time someone you know is talking about buying a new PC or laptop you suggest building one and then beat them with an old hard drive till they agree.

<SNIP> Problem solved.

I like how this got edited even tho it was a perfectly legal method of acquiring windows considering OP has purchased a license.

• ssd's are a must have at this point

used to really wreck my head having to reboot and I'd never turn my computer off at night so I wouldn't have to wait for it to boot in the mornings

now it only takes about 10 seconds to start up so I turn it off when I'm going in to the kitchen to cook, it's stupidly fast

Booting from usb 3.0 has a similar effect. about 15 - 20 secs for windows 7

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Booting from usb 3.0 has a similar effect. about 15 - 20 secs for windows 7

I dont think a fast boot is worth separating your OS from your data drive tho.
    I despise partitioning. Causes nothing but problems down the line. Until you can get at least a 1TB SSD thats not ludicrously expensive ill stick with my regular HDD.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I always partitioned my drives anyway, so having a ssd for my windows drive is perfect. It makes a massive difference for some games as well.

While i wouldn't say it's a requirement, it's definitely the first addon that anyone should put on their pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭civilnug

I am seriously tempted to sell my Xbox on adverts to fund an SSD purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I dont think a fast boot is worth separating your OS from your data drive tho.
    I despise partitioning. Causes nothing but problems down the line. Until you can get at least a 1TB SSD thats not ludicrously expensive ill stick with my regular HDD.

I currently have OSX on one half of a 240GB SSD, Windows 7 on the other, in a custom built hackintosh, and they share access to a 1TB storage drive. It took forever to get them cooperating but everything is working perfectly now. When you say "down the line", what do you mean exactly?

civilnug wrote: »
    I am seriously tempted to sell my Xbox on adverts to fund an SSD purchase.

if you use your computer a lot, it's so worth doing. there is no real "omg that's a huge difference" moment aside from how fast it boots but everything you do on a pc becomes quicker.

its like death by a thousand cuts but in reverse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

I just love getting the shiny new boxes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭Wossack

new computer smell...

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭civilnug

if you use your computer a lot, it's so worth doing. there is no real "omg that's a huge difference" moment aside from how fast it boots but everything you do on a pc becomes quicker.

its like death by a thousand cuts but in reverse

I haven't turned on the Xbox in two months since I got my PC so I think its a no brainer really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

civilnug wrote: »
    I haven't turned on the Xbox in two months since I got my PC so I think its a no brainer really.

Samsung 830 or a Crucial M4, in that order.
    Get 256GB if you can, 128GB is the minimum I'd get now. I keep my current games and Windows on there.

• Advertisement

same, i have the 256 and it's perfect size.

dont rush out to buy one, they seem to go on sale every couple of weeks on one site or another so if you get the money together sit on it for a while and wait for the best deal

Advertisement