Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Gaming Master Race

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭civilnug

I'll get the Xbox on adverts over the weekend and see what my budget will be like if and when I shift it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Samsung 830 or a Crucial M4, in that order.
    Get 256GB if you can, 128GB is the minimum I'd get now.
    Yup, I have a 70gb one and it's an awful hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,116 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Goods dispatched! :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

It really is a mad difference in boot times with an ssd. Those windows update things asking me to restart, I don't even bother postponing them any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Samsung 830 or a Crucial M4, in that order.
    Get 256GB if you can, 128GB is the minimum I'd get now. I keep my current games and Windows on there.

You won't fit many games on a ~120GB SSD though. I have the Samsung one, I just keep it for the OS and my most used programs. Admittedly I still have around 90GB free but with games taking up a minimum of 5GB each it isn't the best idea imo unless you're willing to uninstall again after a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

BTW samsung 830 has been discontinued and its replacement the 840 is by all accounts pretty inferior, go with the the crucial M4 if anyones thinking about getting one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

C14N wrote: »
    You won't fit many games on a ~120GB SSD though. I have the Samsung one, I just keep it for the OS and my most used programs. Admittedly I still have around 90GB free but with games taking up a minimum of 5GB each it isn't the best idea imo unless you're willing to uninstall again after a while.

I install to my 2TB then use SteamMover to move them over as I play them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

VinLieger wrote: »
    BTW samsung 830 has been discontinued and its replacement the 840 is by all accounts pretty inferior, go with the the crucial M4 if anyones thinking about getting one
    Or spend an extra couple of quid on the 840 Pro which is better across the board than both the 830 and M4. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I install to my 2TB then use SteamMover to move them over as I play them.

Ah interesting, I hadn't heard of this program.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

C14N wrote: »
    Ah interesting, I hadn't heard of this program.

You don't really need it anymore in the latest client (although Steammover is arguably still easier :p).

1)Create a new steam library folder
    View->settings->downloads+cloud=> Steam LIbrary Folder -> Create a new library folder

2) Shutdown Steam and Move the game folder to the new steam apps directory (Just copy if you are really paranoid about step 3, but I've done it 3-4 times no bother)

3) Right click 'delete local content' (Steam will still think it is installed at the old location)

4) Hit install and select the same newly created library folder as the install location. Steam will automatically detect and verify the game files just moved .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,116 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

From UPS:
    Scheduled Delivery:
    Wednesday, 01/30/2013, By End of Day

31299347.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Zillah wrote: »
    I currently have OSX on one half of a 240GB SSD, Windows 7 on the other, in a custom built hackintosh, and they share access to a 1TB storage drive. It took forever to get them cooperating but everything is working perfectly now. When you say "down the line", what do you mean exactly?

Ive seen programs that will refuse to install to anything but the C:\ drive, so if you want it on your partitioned D:\ drive, youre boned (IIRC, a patch for BF2 did that).
    Ive seen windows folders grow and grow til they fill an entire OS partition, people forget that even if you install stuff elsewhere, temp files still write to the C:\, system restore backups, all your downloads, browser caches etc.
    Its stuff that can be avoided with a bit of care but ive seen it happen so many times in my job and other places. I would never bother my arse partitioning a drive again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Ive seen programs that will refuse to install to anything but the C:\ drive, so if you want it on your partitioned D:\ drive, youre boned (IIRC, a patch for BF2 did that).
    It's not so much it wants the C:/ drive specifically but the drive the OS is on, granted that's usually the C drive though.

Most programs patch that problem straight away these days though. With SSDs becoming so popular you just can't have programs deciding they own all the free space on your primary drive any more. Zune and Steam fixed that one fairly quickly.

Advertisement