Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THE TOUR OF SUFFERLANDRIA: 9 DAYS OF SUFFERING

Options
  • 17-01-2013 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

Thought i'd get a thread going for the Tour of Misery.

Details are here: http://www.thesufferfest.com/uncategorized/the-tour-of-sufferlandria-9-days-of-suffering/

Stage routes are:
    Saturday, Jan 26th: Hell Hath No Fury
    Sunday, Jan 27th: The Hunted
    Monday, Jan 28th: Extra Shot + Fight Club
    Tuesday, Jan 29th: A Very Dark Place
    Wednesday, Jan 30th: Angels
    Thursday, Jan 31st: The Wretched + The Long Scream
    Friday, Feb 1st: The Downward Spiral
    Saturday, Feb 2nd: There is No Try + Revolver
    Sunday, Feb 3rd: Local Hero

If you sync with trainer road you can be in with a chance of some prizes too.

FTP test this weekend to set my zones for the suffering, i've a feeling its going to be horrendous! But I feel its my duty as a Sufferlandrian to partake as I love doing the vids as it makes turbo time fly by!

Who else is in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Aye, I'm in.

Name|Last Stage|TSS|% of Expected TSS
    Tunney|NA|0|0

Leader board for the Tour.

We know the TSS for a video.
    If you commit to the videos all out you'll get close to the expected TSS.
    If you b1tch out of efforts you'll not :)
    If you go too hard you'll not finish

TSS is your accumulated TSS for the Tour, % of Expected is calculated from the accumulated versus the expected accumulated

Date|Stage|TSS|Accumlated TSS
    Saturday, Jan 26th|Hell Hath No Fury|116|116
    Sunday, Jan 27th|The Hunted|93|209
    Monday, Jan 28th|Fight Club + Extra Shot|88+38=126|335
    Tuesday, Jan 29th|A Very Dark Place|82|417
    Wednesday, Jan 30th|Angels|93|510
    Thursday, Jan 31st|The Wretched + The Long Scream|74+56=130|640
    Friday, Feb 1st|The Downward Spiral|93|733
    Saturday, Feb 2nd|There is No Try + Revolver|84+89=173|906
    Sunday, Feb 3rd|Local Hero|123|1029

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

tunney wrote: »
    Aye, I'm in.

Waiting on a copy of the set, but no Trainer Road, I'm guessing that that is not necessary (?) anyway I'm BTLE setup no ANT+ in my house!!

Waiting on a copy of the set, but no Trainer Road, I'm guessing that that is not necessary (?) anyway I'm BTLE setup no ANT+ in my house!!

Do you have the videos?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Not yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

So FTP tested beforehand and then used to set zones on trainer road at 100% FTP?

Did A Very Dark Place last night, that'll be rough after a few days in! Hit 84 TSS and workout is 82.

What % of FTP is the 2 x 20 mins in Hell Hath No Fury?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

I'm very tempted. I think I am missing 3 sufferfests, but do have trainerroad so maybe I can do those 3 from trainer road with a different video playing.

You guys think you can handle that many days straight of sufferfests via trainer road where your FTP is set accurately.

I am hanging off the bike by the end of HHNF and angles last night the last interval nearly ended me.
    Doing that day after day... I cant imagine.. it sounds crazy! Ok count me in too.

So FTP tested beforehand and then used to set zones on trainer road at 100% FTP?

Did A Very Dark Place last night, that'll be rough after a few days in! Hit 84 TSS and workout is 82.

What % of FTP is the 2 x 20 mins in Hell Hath No Fury?

My FTP is 233 and a lot of the 20min efforts were above that. A lot about 259 if i recall.

Also on the 2nd 20 effort it was up about 274 i think towards the end. I could not hold that by the very end.

Briando wrote: »
    My FTP is 233 and a lot of the 20min efforts were above that. A lot about 259 if i recall.

Also on the 2nd 20 effort it was up about 274 i think towards the end. I could not hold that by the very end.

Sounds hideous

What's the fair/realistic completion TSS percentage then? 90-100% of targeted TSS for all vids? Aim for 100% for all, but allow a buffer? Probably goes against everything sufferfest though :)

Sounds hideous

What's the fair/realistic completion TSS percentage then? 90-100% of targeted TSS for all vids? Aim for 100% for all, but allow a buffer? Probably goes against everything sufferfest though :)

Not sure, I think I was only 2% under the targeted interval power in 'Local Hero' tonight. I can't image how bad you will be after a few days of sufferfests. Especially the days of double sufferfests. I don't think a coach would recommend you doing this. Probably not that great for you. But it should be 'fun'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I'm in. Been hemming and hawing about it as it doesn't in any way fit in with my slow and steady approach to base training at the moment but feck it.

Trainer Road say you just have to complete when it's that day somewhere in the world - I go to Spain Saturday afternoon so will have to do the 2 session back to back Saturday morning ("There Is No Try" and "Revolver") and then sometime between 10am and 1pm fit in 85 minutes of "Local Hero". It's not going to be fun or pretty!

Actually, thinking about it - UTC/GMT + 14 means it's ok to start anytime after 10:00am tomorrow morning so I can start tomorrow evening and don't have to double up any days unless it's on the schedule. Phew!

I have had all the videos for yonks.
    I have trainer road
    I would really like a Wahoo kickr

However I'm abandoning before the first stage. My legs are thrashed and not a chance of doing these as well. Just not going to work!

Looks very tough to finish on paper, looking at HHNF even on trainer road, lots of time its >100% FTP in the 20 min intervals, will start to finish but who knows what'll happen in the middle :)

We posting up stats here stage by stage?

Knew it would be tough but by fecking Jeybus stage 1 was hard! My last month of training has all been base (exceppt group spins) so no doubt FTP has come down slightly. Still, new TR records for 5, 20, 30 and 60 minutes efforts but still didn't hit TSS of 116. Only just under though - 114 recorded in the end.

Yeah, that was a tough opening stage, glad its done on day 1, found the 1st 20mins the toughest, ok after that but wasn't near the sprint power targets during them!

Trainer road dropped a few times during it, first time its happened, both HR and power figures just drop to zero then 2-3 seconds later builds back up to power levels, but it wasn't doing it on my garmin - any one else any issues with this? my ant was only 1m from my garmin so not sure what was going on?

Stats:
    Overall: 234 AP 251NP
    Bikescore: 109
    Rel Int: .92
    1st 20min 284 AP 281 NP
    2nd 20min 280 AP 277 NP
    Work 1051 kj

Roll on the hunted \m/

Stage 2 completed. Tough but not as tough as yesterday.

New TR records for 2, 5, 10, 15, 20 and 30 minutes.

Target TSS 93. Actual TSS 100.

Double ride tomorrow of Extra Shot and Fight Club. :eek:

Stage 3 completed.

Didn't find Extra Shot too bad at all.

Fight Club - I couldn't get the video working so had to do it all to TR prompts.
    Really Tough! - No new records just hanging on for most of the ride...

Extra Shot - Target TSS 38. Actual TSS 40.
    Fight Club - Target TSS 88. Actual TSS 88.

Stage 2 complete, was a nice stage, very tough but enjoyed it, legs very toasty today!

TSS 90
    AP 238
    NP 255
    Rel Int: .934

20 min power 287w and my FTP test last week was 288w! So really worked it!

Stage 3 completed.

Didn't find Extra Shot too bad at all.

Fight Club - I couldn't get the video working so had to do it all to TR prompts.
    Really Tough! - No new records just hanging on for most of the ride...

Extra Shot - Target TSS 38. Actual TSS 40.
    Fight Club - Target TSS 88. Actual TSS 88.

You seem to be hitting the TSS well, what relative intensities have your rides been?
    How are the legs today?

Legs are in bits. Saturday night my hamstrings were cramping every time I moved which the in-laws thought was very amusing.
    A couple of times I've knocked the ride down from 100% to 92% but after a few seconds decided that's wimping out and pushed it back up and suffered. At this moment in time I think I a m going to struggle to get 9 days done.

Trainer Road IF's have been 0.95, 1.05, 0.99, 0.95 in order.

• Advertisement

Extra shot was tough to get in to, only 34 out of 38 TSS, thought I did Fight Club well but only 80 out of 88 TSS so 114/126 for the stage. Actually enjoyed it in a sick way. Looking forward to an 'easier' day tomorrow with VDP

AP 226
    NP 245
    REL INT .896
    TSS 114

Stage 4 - A Very Dark Place.

Easiest one so far - Legs burning though and hard to hit some of the highs on the last two blocks. Legs are worse this morning. Quads feeling very tired.

AP 239
    NP 276
    TSS 86
    IF 0.99

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

interesting stuff here.

seems like good training for between the ears...

peter kern wrote: »
    interesting stuff here.

seems like good training for between the ears...

Peter, you referring to the fact you'll learn what a stupid idea it is by doing it or it is actually good mental training, i'm assuming the first... It might not make much sense training wise, but its the kind of stupid sht i'm in to, and its nice doing it for the sake of doing it, rather than worrying if it'll help me be better in June, because i'm not gonna be winning any races either way!

Legs actually felt great today, enjoyed VDP...
    AP 226
    NP 262
    Rel Int: .96
    TSS: 82/82

Peter, you referring to the fact you'll learn what a stupid idea it is by doing it or it is actually good mental training, i'm assuming the first... It might not make much sense training wise, but its the kind of stupid sht i'm in to, and its nice doing it for the sake of doing it, rather than worrying if it'll help me be better in June, because i'm not gonna be winning any races either way!

I suspect that he meant the latter - that it would train the brain to suffer.

Stage 5 - Angels completed and half way through with 6/12 videos done.

AP 245
    NP 269
    TSS 99
    IF 0.96

I found this really tough and really suffered on the last 8 minute climb. Struggled to hold the power after the second surge and dropped from target of 311 down to 250 before pulling myself together and pulling it back towards target power. Managed to get a sprint in at the end which ended up giving me new 5 and 10 second TR records. Quads, ITB and Hamstrings all tight this evening.

Really not looking forward to tomorrows Stage 6 - "The Wretched" and "The Long Scream". TSS of 130 the highest day so far (Stage 8 has a TSS of 173! :eek:)

Chose to do Angels in AM today to get 36 hours rest until Stage 6.. suffered for it as only 10 hours since last night's turbo... figures a little lower but suffered as much as I could..

AP 218
    NP 238
    TSS 82
    Int F .87

So 82/93 TSS (is that the best way to calculate what % you achieved or is there a better stat to reference?) - Weakest figures yet but don't think its broom wagon stuff just yet...

Edit: Overall GC has me at 477 TSS points from 510 target so 93.5% - 5 out of 9 stages done, but pretty much halfway in terms of TSS points... #SUFFERING

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

well you will ask yourself in every ironman what WTF you are doing.....so you will have practised that anwer in that tour ;-) and have your reasons why you do it.
    Of course I think its also a bit silly doing something for the sake of it... but you can control that if you wanted.

peter kern wrote: »
    well you will ask yourself in every ironman what WTF you are doing.....so you will have practised that anwer in that tour ;-) and have your reasons why you do it.
    Of course I think its also a bit silly doing something for the sake of it... but you can control that if you wanted.

For the sake of it was me badly phrasing it.. its for the challenge of it. When I heard of it I thought it looked very tough but doable and suppose I wanted to see if I could do it, or what would breakdown first, body or head..

Unless you're winning races, we're pretty much doing races for the challenge of it in my mind anyway, to see how far you can push or how fast etc.. so this is just a different sort of challenge :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I assume this tour is leaving you lads too fecked for any swim/run? Purely bike focus for 9 days?

Advertisement