Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THE TOUR OF SUFFERLANDRIA: 9 DAYS OF SUFFERING

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

For the sake of it was me badly phrasing it.. its for the challenge of it. When I heard of it I thought it looked very tough but doable and suppose I wanted to see if I could do it, or what would breakdown first, body or head..

Unless you're winning races, we're pretty much doing races for the challenge of it in my mind anyway, to see how far you can push or how fast etc.. so this is just a different sort of challenge :)

Just in case if I dodnt make myself clear I can see situations where this tour can be good ( such as being at k 35 in a marathon in an Ironman ) ,as long as you still swim and if you control the effort. And for the mind it can be very valuable to dig deep a few times and plan when you want to do it.

I hear the british under 23 junior team did an 8 hour bike ride last week ( amongst piles of other training) . A lot of people would not think that is the best session to prepare for Oly distance, but you can be sure they thought about a reason to do it for their long term goal.
    Of course they are not going to repeat this every day .....

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

I assume this tour is leaving you lads too fecked for any swim/run? Purely bike focus for 9 days?

Yeah pretty much, I swam Saturday and will swim in the morning, but won't over exert myself! And haven't ran since Friday and don't plan to until done.

I started back training at end of Dec and find mod/hard turbo work best way to regain fitness and lose weight which was the aim for January before I really got back to running anyway, so the tour just tied in nicely with that. In Jan pre tour I was doing 3 hard turbos, 2-3 6km runs and not much swimming a week so this will end the bike block back, so I will add more runs and extend them back out now as well as 2 hard turbos, then i'll swim more regularly which is more laziness than anything that i'm not doing that much of it at the moment.

peter kern wrote: »
    Just in case if I dodnt make myself clear I can see situations where this tour can be good ( such as being at k 35 in a marathon in an Ironman ) ,as long as you still swim and if you control the effort. And for the mind it can be very valuable to dig deep a few times and plan when you want to do it.

I hear the british under 23 junior team did an 8 hour bike ride last week ( amongst piles of other training) . A lot of people would not think that is the best session to prepare for Oly distance, but you can be sure they thought about a reason to do it for their long term goal.
    Of course they are not going to repeat this every day .....

ok, i understand more clearly now! Controlling the effort is becoming more self regulating as the days go on anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I assume this tour is leaving you lads too fecked for any swim/run? Purely bike focus for 9 days?

Yes, pretty much so. Head off for a few days in the sun on Saturday once it's over and felt my biking needed a bit of a kick anyway if I'm going to try cycle racing this year. There was a post about training benefits but i can't find it but it's similat to Friels "big week" thinking.

Head wise it's hard. Last night I got home and knew I had a cycle to do before I had to go back into work to do some maintenance work in a downtime window - I was in till 2 a.m. I'm wrecked today and know I have 2 videos to do and the hardest day so far 83 mins hardly any rest!
    With me going away I don't have the luxury of building a day in advance and then taking a day off like Duffyshuffle has wisely done.

It looks like 1/3 riders have dropped out after 4 stages and I'm not surprised.

Yes, pretty much so. Head off for a few days in the sun on Saturday once it's over and felt my biking needed a bit of a kick anyway if I'm going to try cycle racing this year. There was a post about training benefits but i can't find it but it's similat to Friels "big week" thinking.

Head wise it's hard. Last night I got home and knew I had a cycle to do before I had to go back into work to do some maintenance work in a downtime window - I was in till 2 a.m. I'm wrecked today and know I have 2 videos to do and the hardest day so far 83 mins hardly any rest!
    With me going away I don't have the luxury of building a day in advance and then taking a day off like Duffyshuffle has wisely done.

It looks like 1/3 riders have dropped out after 4 stages and I'm not surprised.

I was on such a buzz earlier after hitting Angels but have since faded badly and heading for bed! :) I missed the boat not doing the first one Friday so have no days off like you suggested, I did a turbo at 7pm last night and 7am this morning and doing next 8pm tomorrow so 36 hours rest between not a day off.. the last chance saloon is that it goes until 11am Monday so if needed could rest a day and do last one early Monday but 9 in a row is way more authentic I reckon

• Advertisement

I was on such a buzz earlier after hitting Angels but have since faded badly and heading for bed! :) I missed the boat not doing the first one Friday so have no days off like you suggested, I did a turbo at 7pm last night and 7am this morning and doing next 8pm tomorrow so 36 hours rest between not a day off.. the last chance saloon is that it goes until 11am Monday so if needed could rest a day and do last one early Monday but 9 in a row is way more authentic I reckon

Ah sorry still 36 hours isn't bad :) I'll be doing the same evening/morning double up for the last two stages and aren't looking forward to it in the slightest.

Stage 6 completed:
    The Wretched:
    AP 253
    NP 270
    TSS 76
    IF 0.97

The Long Scream:
    The Wretched:
    AP 269
    NP 278
    TSS 58
    IF 0.99

I just started to cramp badly in the hamstrings - had to ask for help to get stretched out and then started to cramp in the quads. I'm falling apart.

Stage 7 completed and 1 week/9 rides done!

The Downward Spiral:

AP 253
    NP 239
    TSS 109
    IF 1.03

Training peaks scores the TSS/NP differently? http://tpks.ws/YN0i

New records for me in 5s, 10s, 20s, and 2 minutes power and I felt pretty strong throughout.
    i'll probably suffer tomorrow with "There is no try" and "Revolver" to complete...

AP 240
    NP 249
    TSS 122/130
    Rel I: .913

Power numbers were getting pretty close throughout and actually pretty reasonable during the long scream, first time doing that one, its quality session and very tri specific (sc). Legs just couldn't push for any sprints and stuff. The tour is defo turning in to a head battle rather than a leg battle for me.

Highlight of the night was a can of coke between the videos :)

Ah sorry still 36 hours isn't bad :) I'll be doing the same evening/morning double up for the last two stages and aren't looking forward to it in the slightest.

Stage 6 completed:
    The Wretched:
    AP 253
    NP 270
    TSS 76
    IF 0.97

The Long Scream:
    The Wretched:
    AP 269
    NP 278
    TSS 58
    IF 0.99

I just started to cramp badly in the hamstrings - had to ask for help to get stretched out and then started to cramp in the quads. I'm falling apart.

Good work! Your IF's have been v high throughout, you looking to stay above the power target every time or just on it?

Good work! Your IF's have been v high throughout, you looking to stay above the power target every time or just on it?

I try and stay on it or just above - basically where ever feels comfortable Sometimes (like today) it means knocking it up a gear as it was around 93 rpm where I felt happiest and a lower gear meant I was just under, the one I chose put me 8-9watts above I think.

How are the legs after the double?

• Advertisement

I try and stay on it or just above - basically where ever feels comfortable Sometimes (like today) it means knocking it up a gear as it was around 93 rpm where I felt happiest and a lower gear meant I was just under, the one I chose put me 8-9watts above I think.

How are the legs after the double?

Legs defo heavy, going up the stairs there wasn't pretty! Just had a look, 2.5 hours in threshold (Z4) and 1hr 20min Vo2 (Z5) and 15mins at (Z6) for the last 7 days.. can see the legs taking a few days to recover from this!

How did your new 20 min record compare to 20 min FTP test?

The 20 min record was during the middle block of "The Hunted" and was 304. (304*.95) = 288 vs FTP test of 280 so a few % higher but not massively so and there was no 'all out' effort prior to that to tire the legs (although the first 18 minutes wasn't easy).

I only work to 4 zones (Peter Keen's definition) and have the following for the last 7 days:

Z1 Active Recovery (100-109): 0:28:56
    Z2 Aerobic Workout (110 - 129): 2:30:22
    Z3 Time Trialing (130-139): 2:18:02
    Z4 Sprinting/Intervals (140-160): 2:25:46

My ATP was tested 1 month ago as 130 bpm so I'm doing a lot above that! (Although Training Peaks thinks it should be 134bpm using it's own calculation methods from the last weeks of cycling data).

The 20 min record was during the middle block of "The Hunted" and was 304. (304*.95) = 288 vs FTP test of 280 so a few % higher but not massively so and there was no 'all out' effort prior to that to tire the legs (although the first 18 minutes wasn't easy).

I only work to 4 zones (Peter Keen's definition) and have the following for the last 7 days:

Z1 Active Recovery (100-109): 0:28:56
    Z2 Aerobic Workout (110 - 129): 2:30:22
    Z3 Time Trialing (130-139): 2:18:02
    Z4 Sprinting/Intervals (140-160): 2:25:46

My ATP was tested 1 month ago as 130 bpm so I'm doing a lot above that! (Although Training Peaks thinks it should be 134bpm using it's own calculation methods from the last weeks of cycling data).

Ah thats a few % higher and after days of work so defo need to re-test when you're back from your holiday. Did you set a 5min record during the tour?

I found stage 7 the *easiest* so far, first time i've hit over targeted TSS, legs just felt good and really enjoyed the shorter intervals, time flew by!

Duration 62mins
    AP 221
    NP 265
    IF .97
    TSS 97.5
    Kj 822

TSS after 7 days: 693/733 (94.5%))

So the penultimate day is done and dusted...

First up was "There is No Try"

Found this tough but manageable.
    AP 244
    NP 279
    TSS 91
    IF 1.00

New 1 minute record - 427w
    http://tpks.ws/ctQ3

A quick toilet break and a refresh of drink and straight into "Revolver"
    16 x (1 min hard, 1 min easy)
    Cramped badly in the calf after the 8th and had to take 30s or so to stretch it out.
    Found it hard to hit the power target for each section as it takes a while to accelerate up. Some of the blocks it recommends a cadence of 75rpm to simulate hill climbs. In the highest gear at 75rpm I was way below target power. Maybe I need bigger gears!

AP 247
    NP 295
    TSS 88
    IF 1.05

http://tpks.ws/bXpo

Just one more to go!
    Ah thats a few % higher and after days of work so defo need to re-test when you're back from your holiday. Did you set a 5min record during the tour?

I probably will retest at the end of next week to see where I am. An increase wuold be nice after all this effort.
    5 minute record jumped from 309 to 330 this week (set in the hunted as well).

So the penultimate day is done and dusted...

First up was "There is No Try"

Found this tough but manageable.
    AP 244
    NP 279
    TSS 91
    IF 1.00

New 1 minute record - 427w
    http://tpks.ws/ctQ3

A quick toilet break and a refresh of drink and straight into "Revolver"
    16 x (1 min hard, 1 min easy)
    Cramped badly in the calf after the 8th and had to take 30s or so to stretch it out.
    Found it hard to hit the power target for each section as it takes a while to accelerate up. Some of the blocks it recommends a cadence of 75rpm to simulate hill climbs. In the highest gear at 75rpm I was way below target power. Maybe I need bigger gears!

AP 247
    NP 295
    TSS 88
    IF 1.05

http://tpks.ws/bXpo

Just one more to go!

I probably will retest at the end of next week to see where I am. An increase wuold be nice after all this effort.
    5 minute record jumped from 309 to 330 this week (set in the hunted as well).

You all done and dusted?? Really enjoyed stage 8 again, good honest hard work but flew by and legs have gotten stronger since midweek defo! Roll on Local Hero!

Duration: 1hr 42
    Kj: 1414
    AP: 230 (GC)
    NP: 255 (GC)
    TSS: 165 (from TR - GC giving me 153?)
    IF: .93

My garmin connect, Golden Cheetah and Trainer Road seem to vary quite a lot on this ride for power (255 GC vs 270 on my garmin for NP) and stuff like kcals 1000 on garmin vs 1400 on GC? Which most reliable?

Just thinking - is NP difference due to garmin pausing in between swapping vids for 2 mins where GC might include this as 'zero' time?

Well done and dusted... have to say loved the whole thing, best TSS ratio today, hit 129 TSS for target of 123, went out with a bang!
    Overall stats:
    Stage TR Target % Stage
    1 107 116 92.2%
    2 90 93 96.8%
    3 114 126 90.5%
    4 82 82 100.0%
    5 82 93 88.2%
    6 121 130 93.1%
    7 97 93 104.3%
    8 165 173 95.4%
    9 129 123 104.9%
    987 1029
    Total: 95.9%

Late update...

After feeling great on the penultimate day I was up and ready for 10:00am the next day to finsh off with "local hero" - I was in trouble almost straight away - no energy at all. I adjusted to 95% then 90%, 85% and I think I finished off at 80%. The worst day off the whole tour :(

AP 222
    NP 242
    TSS 106
    IF 0.86

:mad:

Duffyshuffle - the pic on the sufferlandria page on the podium wasn't you was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

would love to see the guys tha did it do an ftp test and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

peter kern wrote: »
    would love to see the guys tha did it do an ftp test and report back.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056504340&page=19

Advertisement