Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wipe boards for L & N

• 17-01-2013 6:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

Hi all, hope somebody can help me out with this. I'm trying to do my best focusing on literacy & numeracy in the classroom and last year I had fab purple coloured wipe boards that I could write my key words on - I could then rub them off and replace with new words as and when I wanted to.
    In a new school this year and they don't have them and I'm demented trying to beg coloured paper from the art dept for posters of the keywords.
    Does anyone know where to source these charts from? The principal isn't aware of them but is willing to look into them if I can remember the supplier?
    Tia.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Do you mean like minature whiteboards?Most school suppliers have them-your local €shop is worth a look too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Thanks for replying but no, these are specifically aimed at literacy and numeracy. I was thinking the support service but thought somebody here might know specifics. They were white with a light purple outline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

I'm pretty sure they're JCSP posters you're talking about. Could you or your principal get in touch with JCSP? Look under keyword initiative halfway down this page.

http://www.jcspliteracy.ie/lit_jcsp_resources.php?PHPSESSID=801043be4e866ac9279d27b08abb2ef2

Moody mona thank you so much! They are them. New school doesn't do jscp so maybe that's why principal didn't know them. Do you know can the school still get them? Or do you have to be part of jscp specifically? Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Those are fab, would love to know if I could get them too!

• Advertisement

I'm in a DEIS school and we were each given two at the start of the year from our resource teacher and our JCSP kids were given the keyword notebooks. Would your resource teacher have any info?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It may be possible for non-JCSP schools to buy them, I'm not sure.

IMO, every school should have JCSP, but the bottom line is always money.

Moody mona (love the name btw) I don't think the resource teacher knew them either to be honest.
    Spurious, yes I think the principal is willing to invest money in this as its been the buzzword at the last few staff meetings and CP meetings. I'll pass on the info to her and hopefully we'll get something sorted. Doing new posters each week is such a waste of paper -I know the art dept is sick of me at this stage:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

Could you print up the basic page yourself and then laminate it to make a whiteboard?
    I did that with plain A4 paper when I was doing my dip and I still use them - ok they look cheap but they do the job!

Bobsammy wrote: »
    Could you print up the basic page yourself and then laminate it to make a whiteboard?
    I did that with plain A4 paper when I was doing my dip and I still use them - ok they look cheap but they do the job!

This works fine too. I have a laminated page for each class with their weekly learning outcomes and it can be wiped clean each week.

I didn't realise nonDeis schools wouldn't have those sheets, especially with so much emphasis on literacy and numeracy.

Some ideas we've had at DEIS in services About keywords would be to include some of your subject keywords which come up in different subject areas, I'm maths so that's very easy for me, just if you wanted another keyword idea :)

• Advertisement

Yeah we highlighted that moody mona - that for best practice the words should be cross curricular so the kids are really getting steeped in the whole thing.
    Bobsammy I've tried something similar - have loads of stuff I usually print of in colour and laminate - bookmarks of key words etc but laminating seems to be an issue in my current school - rather the lack of laminating is an issue. I can only assume its a funding issue :-( so I'm hoping a set of these wipe able charts would get the go ahead and at least they'd be a big step forward :-)

I just sent a quick email enquiry to them, I'll feedback with the response

They are prevented by the department from issuing the materials in any form (I asked for even a PDF version if we couldn't get hard copies) to schools outside the program.

Yet another example of the wonderful joined up thinking in the department. They are rolling out a literacy and numeracy program to all schools but we are not allowed to access materials they already have. Argh!!

Happywithlife can you remember what the titles were? I'm going to try a mock up and see can I beg some laminate!

I know musicmental. Mad isn't it. I didn't take much notice last year of where they come from as I assumed they were being rolled out in all the schools for numeracy & literacy. Oh well.
    If you click in the link moody mona posted you'll see a blurry outline of the chart so that would help you to do a DIY job on it. Hth

Ya got the image alright but it's too blurry for the headings. I'll make ones up sure :)

There are no headings. All my poster says is Keywords, Subject and Date but I wouldn't consider them headings, I just write the words that are important in a given week.

Ah it's just subject and date. I may use that actually as I teach two subjects in the same room

Advertisement