Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weird engine noise from SV650S

• 17-01-2013 7:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭

I bought a SV650S a few months back and it recently started making a weird clunking noise in the engine whenever I'm accelerating or maintaining speed. It doesn't happen when I'm running idle or slowing down and it's not like a ticking noise or anything that might be a cam chain issue.

I had it in the garage for another issue of it not coming on but they sorted that and I had the restriction removed at the same time. Mechanic said he didn't notice any noise. When I first got it back the noise was pretty much gone but it's come back now. I can only hear it down the low gears but that's because I got a blue flame can and it get's pretty loud pretty quick.

Bike runs perfectly and the noise doesn't seem to create any issues but has me freaking out. I don't really have the money to throw at this.

It's a pretty vague description but any ideas what this could be?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

How's your chain tension?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Tight spot on the chain?

Tighten the chain and spin around while very carefully measuring the chain tension. It might get very tight when a few links hit the front sprocket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Was the noise there before the restriction was taken out? Sorry I cant make that out in the OP....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Chain tension should be fine mechanic sorted that when it was in the garage. Said there was one tight spot but it should do for a while. Surely one tight spot wouldn't cause too much noise? This sounds like there something small bouncing around inside nearly.

Yeah the noise was there before the restriction was taken out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

OP you could get a largish screwdriver and use it as a stethoscope to see if you can hear the noise when you rev it?
    Be careful to keep away from moving parts like the chain etc when you do it.
    Wouldn't be the cush drive by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

CJhaughey wrote: »
    OP you could get a largish screwdriver and use it as a stethoscope to see if you can hear the noise when you rev it?
    Be careful to keep away from moving parts like the chain etc when you do it.
    Wouldn't be the cush drive by any chance?

I love the old timers :D

This, and higher up the volume on your radio!.

OP you sound fairly new to biking. Bike engines, frames, suspension units etc etc are [generally] not as refined as cars whilst you might be hearing all these strange noises your mechanic (if he's a trusted source) might be right and there's nothing wrong.

If you have confidence in your mechanic then relax, if not get it seen to by a good reputable mech (if you say your loc some of the people here might point you in the right direction) and relax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,619 ✭✭✭prunudo

As a matter of interest op, what mileage is on the bike. When I had my SV it made a similar sounding noise and I was told that the cam chain tensioners needed to be looked at. My was a k6 at 25k miles at the time.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Said there was one tight spot but it should do for a while. Surely one tight spot wouldn't cause too much noise?

Yes. If the chain has any damage it will be noisier.You could brush on a little 80w/90 gear oil instead of chain lube to smooth out the racket.

V-twins always make "what was that" noises. Some call it character, others say its gonna blow up. Just get used to it, it will be still running long after you've finished with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Its a common noise with the sv650 and sv1000.

If you google sv650 the knock, or knocking you will see a bucket load of information of it from some sv specific forums.

goodlad wrote: »

If you google sv650 the knock, or knocking you will see a bucket load of information of it from some sv specific forums.

Yeah when I had my v-strom 1000 I always felt the clutch basket was try to break out and chudder away to oblivion.
    Its just the way they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

goodlad wrote: »

This search should bring up a lot of good information. Also you could register on the sv forum and post a thread about it there. They are the guys who will know ;)

Did the mechanic say the cam chain or drive chain had a tight spot? I'm not sure from your posts.

It does sounds like a chain fault. If it's the drive chain then also check that the front sprocket and nut aren't loose. Did the guy you bought it off say then the chain and sprockets were changed last?

The Don wrote: »
    This search should bring up a lot of good information. Also you could register on the sv forum and post a thread about it there. They are the guys who will know ;)

Did the mechanic say the cam chain or drive chain had a tight spot? I'm not sure from your posts.

It does sounds like a chain fault. If it's the drive chain then also check that the front sprocket and nut aren't loose. Did the guy you bought it off say then the chain and sprockets were changed last?

Na just said recently enough. Drive chain I think. Rang up the guy I usually get to do my day to day stuff. He said the only thing they could really do was give me Suzuki's number and they could take it all apart and sort it if there is any issue. But talking big money there. I'm hoping it's just lack of experience with a big engine and I'm being paranoid. Can't afford a repair so I can just hope for the best really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Can you hear the noise from the engine when you rev it with the clutch in?

If you can't then you should be able to rule engine trouble out. I had a similar problem, could hear a noise when accelerating or keeping the same speed but when I was moving and pulled the clutch in the noise would stop even while revving it. I tightened and lubed the chain and its grand now. My chain and sprockets need changing soon anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

The only abnormal noise my SV650 ever made was when a big end bearing failed, really hope it's not what's happened in your case as it'll mean you're off engine shopping.

Update: Turns out it was my chain. Had a good few tight spots and was getting whacked around. Got a new one yesterday and noise is gone. About to go home from work today but when I turn the bike on the fuel pump isn't switching on. God damn it!

Advertisement