Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refused sale of alcohol - forced to buy in lower quantities

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Wils110 wrote: »
    Code of practice from the shop to try curb binge drinking is all...if something happened to just turned 18 year old from excessive drinking the shop would be in trouble for selling a litre for €20 euro to a just turned 18 year old
    Media would have a field day

How would they be in trouble? Has the law changed about what age you need to be to purchase alcohol?

As it stands they might be in trouble for age discrimination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

RoboRat wrote: »
    I would have thought that refusal for a stated reason was the same as restriction, if the restriction was that they would not sell alcohol to someone under 23.

Anyhow, that was a long time ago and I am not sure if supermarkets still operate the over 23 policy.

Restriction as in we'll sell you beer but not vodka is what I mean. Those over 23 policies normally meant that anyone under 23 would be ID'd rather than meaning they wouldn't sell to under 23s. You may be right however, I vaguely remember an over 21 door policy not being discriminatory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I didn't come to boards venting my frustration. I came to boards seeking advice on whether I had a case.

Whether you had a case? A case of what?

"Obviously, your Honour as stated in the constitution I have a right to buy vodka at cheap rates, by refusing me that right Mr Off License should pay me 50k in unused notes and spend 2 years in the slammer.

Not enough :rolleyes: in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Cathalog

syklops wrote: »

Age discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,997 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There was probably some community action group onto the Supermarket about alcohol problems and they came to a compromise, Under XX age and we will try and sell them a smaller amount. If said supermarket didn't conform, they would encourage people to take their business elsewhere.

You got to love these "community" action gropes. Instead of controlling their little darlings they bully others into controlling them instead. But it still doesn't remove the fact that the shop has now implemented an age discrimination policy and could be fined.
    When I was 18, I remember trying to buy alcohol in a supermarket and I was refused flat out, only over 23 and I remember arguing that I was legally entitled to buy alcohol to which I was told that they were also legally entitled to the right of refusal, or to put it another way, they can put restrictions in place.

There's no law saying the shop has to sell the OP, or anyone for that matter, alcohol. There is a law which says you can't be discriminated againt due to age. The OP was told they are too young to buy a 1l of Vodka but are old enough to buy 0.35l. That's not legal
    syklops wrote: »

"Obviously, your Honour as stated in the constitution I have a right to buy vodka at cheap rates, by refusing me that right Mr Off License should pay me 50k in unused notes and spend 2 years in the slammer.

Not enough :rolleyes: in the world.

See my above post. The OP was refused a large bottle purely based on their age nothing else. How is that not discrimination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I would have insisted on seeing the manager. If they refuse to sell alcohol to you, that's their choice, but they did not refuse to sell you alcohol, they just refused to sell you the better value, big bottle, based on your age, which is discrimination.

Unfortunately, you sometimes have to make a fuss, or a scene to get what you're entitled to...in your case, a bigger bottle of better quality vodka.

Little rant below.

I went to the local cinema back in October to see a film everyone I knew had already seen, so I said "feck it, i'll go myself" and so I did. I arrived and bought my ticket and took my seat. There were less than 20 people there, as it was a late show. After the ads were done, the screen went blank. After 10 minutes, I went out to the ticket area to tell a member of staff that the screen was blank and returned to my seat. After another 15 minutes, 2 staff memebers came into the room and said there is a problem and the film won't start and everyone had to go to the ticket area for a refund. I asked why they couldn't just play the movie on another screen and was told the other screens were in use. I mentioned that I was aware that only 4 of the screens had movies playing after 9pm and at that time (10:45pm) there were at least 6 other screens available and I didn't appreciate being bull****ted. The liars just didn't want the hassle and wanted to close early. My mini rant got everyone a free pass on top of the refund.

I went back to the cinema this week to use my pass for a showing of Jack Reacher. TBH, I was in a pissy mood and just had to get out of the gaff. There was 1 person with his kid getting served in front of me. The show was due to start and I was waiting over 10 minutes as the lad snailed around, picking the order for the customer in front. A large Queue formed behind me of maybe 30-40 people by the time I got to the register to cash in my ticket (they don't have a separate ticket area in this cinema). I told him I wanted to see the Jack Reacher film, which started 5 minutes ago and hande him my pass. He told me their internet was down, so he couldn't take the pass. He continued to to say their POS machine also wasn't working as a result (not that I would have paid for a ticket anyway). With the Queue behind me, I didn't want to embarrass the lad, so I leaned over and said "I got this pass in October. I don't have cash, but t doesn't matter because I have this Guest Pass. I don't care if your equipment is working and I don't care if you have to swipe the pass through the managers arse crack, but i'm using the pass tonight...so your problem is not mine. Sort it." After his face changed a few shades, he took less than 30 seconds to get me a ticket printed. I felt a bit bad for a brief moment, but then I reminded myself that I had the pass because of their lazy incompetence months before. Great film by the way :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

goz83 wrote: »
    I would have insisted on seeing the manager. If they refuse to sell alcohol to you, that's their choice, but they did not refuse to sell you alcohol, they just refused to sell you the better value, big bottle, based on your age, which is discrimination.

Unfortunately, you sometimes have to make a fuss, or a scene to get what you're entitled to...in your case, a bigger bottle of better quality vodka.

Little rant below.

I went to the local cinema back in October to see a film everyone I knew had already seen, so I said "feck it, i'll go myself" and so I did. I arrived and bought my ticket and took my seat. There were less than 20 people there, as it was a late show. After the ads were done, the screen went blank. After 10 minutes, I went out to the ticket area to tell a member of staff that the screen was blank and returned to my seat. After another 15 minutes, 2 staff memebers came into the room and said there is a problem and the film won't start and everyone had to go to the ticket area for a refund. I asked why they couldn't just play the movie on another screen and was told the other screens were in use. I mentioned that I was aware that only 4 of the screens had movies playing after 9pm and at that time (10:45pm) there were at least 6 other screens available and I didn't appreciate being bull****ted. The liars just didn't want the hassle and wanted to close early. My mini rant got everyone a free pass on top of the refund.

I went back to the cinema this week to use my pass for a showing of Jack Reacher. TBH, I was in a pissy mood and just had to get out of the gaff. There was 1 person with his kid getting served in front of me. The show was due to start and I was waiting over 10 minutes as the lad snailed around, picking the order for the customer in front. A large Queue formed behind me of maybe 30-40 people by the time I got to the register to cash in my ticket (they don't have a separate ticket area in this cinema). I told him I wanted to see the Jack Reacher film, which started 5 minutes ago and hande him my pass. He told me their internet was down, so he couldn't take the pass. He continued to to say their POS machine also wasn't working as a result (not that I would have paid for a ticket anyway). With the Queue behind me, I didn't want to embarrass the lad, so I leaned over and said "I got this pass in October. I don't have cash, but t doesn't matter because I have this Guest Pass. I don't care if your equipment is working and I don't care if you have to swipe the pass through the managers arse crack, but i'm using the pass tonight...so your problem is not mine. Sort it." After his face changed a few shades, he took less than 30 seconds to get me a ticket printed. I felt a bit bad for a brief moment, but then I reminded myself that I had the pass because of their lazy incompetence months before. Great film by the way :pac:

okay

areyawell wrote: »
    okay

i did warn ya :D

Little rant below.

Thanks for that advice (in bold). I'll keep it in mind in future.

The story is great. :D Just proves your point brilliantly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Short answer is there is no law stating you are not allowed buy bottles.

The off licence decided to make even more from you by forcing you to buy a more expensive(per litre) product and took advantage of most young people's ignorance of their rights.

How did they force them to buy it? Hold them a gun point?

• Advertisement

lala88 wrote: »
    How did they force them to buy it? Hold them a gun point?

I would say by limiting the customers choice. Indeed he was not forced, but considering he wanted to buy a certain product, he was left with a buy nothing or spend more (per ml) option.

Imagine going into McDonalds and ordering a large coke, only to be told you can't buy a large one, because you don't have a moustache. You are only allowed a small diet coke if you have no moustache. Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? So is refusing to sell a larger bottle of vodka to someone legally allowed to purchase alcohol. Either don't serve, or do serve, but telling someone they can't buy a bigger bottle is just ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Imagine going into McDonalds and ordering a large coke, only to be told you can't buy a large one, because you don't have a moustache. You are only allowed a small diet coke if you have no moustache. Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? So is refusing to sell a larger bottle of vodka to someone legally allowed to purchase alcohol. Either don't serve, or do serve, but telling someone they can't buy a bigger bottle is just ridiculous.
    Small point, but that McDonalds scenario wouldn't be illegal. McDonalds are perfectly entitled to discriminate on arbitrary grounds. In fact, most service places have some form of discrimination in place, e.g. "No shirt, No shoes, No service". They're only not allowed discriminate on 9 specific grounds, as laid out in the Equal Status act.

The only way the McDonalds scenario would be illegal is if someone took a case based on indirect discrimination, namely a claim that it is discriminatory against men (gender being one of the 9 grounds)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Chain_reaction

Little rant below.

If you'd have spoken to me like that in my place of work I would have asked you to leave and in many more situations behaving like that will not get you your own way. But then again where I work usually doesn't mess up or if they do its rectified asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

P_1 wrote: »
    It's the shop applying their own additional control to the purchase of alcohol.

Maybe the area around it has a problem with 18 year olds off their heads on vodka?

I'm afraid that can't be done. They have the right to refuse a sale but not to sell a smaller bottle in its place.

You know to go somewhere else in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I'm afraid that can't be done. They have the right to refuse a sale but not to sell a smaller bottle in its place.

You know to go somewhere else in future.

Is there any regulation which says it can't be done (genuine question) because without it I fail to see any why a retailer has not the right to refuse to sell the smaller bottle having declined to sell the larger bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Is there any regulation which says it can't be done (genuine question) because without it I fail to see any why a retailer has not the right to refuse to sell the smaller bottle having declined to sell the larger bottle.

You have the right to refuse the sale of alcohol without explanation or on the basis of age, however since a smaller bottle was sold they cannot claim this. They admitted to discrimination on the basis of age yet still sold an alcoholic product so they cannot claim that they believed the customer to be under 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭28064212

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Equal Status Act, Section 3. "For the purposes of this Act, discrimination shall be taken to occur where on any of the grounds specified in subsection (2) [which includes age] a person is treated less favourably than another person is, has been or would be treated"

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Just thought I'd update you to say that I was refunded €20 (in voucher form). It just shows you that its worth fighting your case in these situations.

The policy will still be in force unfortunately, so I won't be buying any alcohol there anymore, but I can still get plenty of other items for that voucher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

An Off Licence is within its rights (and the law) to refuse to sell you a large bottle but still offer you a smaller one if they believe that it is for consumption by persons under the age of 18.

The shop must have thought it unlikely that you were going to drink the whole 1L yourself and as you had only turned 18 (you prob have friends that are not 18 yet), there was the risk that you may have supplied it to minors, so instead they sold you a smaller bottle for your own consumption.

Likewise if you had asked for 5 naggins instead you would still have been refused.

All this is covered in the Intoxicating Liquor Act.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

dubscottie wrote: »
    An Off Licence is within its rights (and the law) to refuse to sell you a large bottle but still offer you a smaller one if they believe that it is for consumption by persons under the age of 18.

The shop must have thought it unlikely that you were going to drink the whole 1L yourself and as you had only turned 18 (you prob have friends that are not 18 yet), there was the risk that you may have supplied it to minors, so instead they sold you a smaller bottle for your own consumption.

Likewise if you had asked for 5 naggins instead you would still have been refused.

Yes but does not consumer not need to be accompanied by a person under the age of 18? I still agree with the seller I would refuse to sell the OP a litre of vodka in his case why would he need a litre of vodka? Maybe a 70cl would be fine instead.

• Advertisement

stevek93 wrote: »
    Yes but does not consumer not need to be accompanied by a person under the age of 18? I still agree with the seller I would refuse to sell the OP a litre of vodka in his case why would he need a litre of vodka? Maybe a 70cl would be fine instead.

That is such rubbish!!
    Why does anyone need a litre of vodka? Why should I be treated differently because of my age?

Are you suggesting that drinking 70cl of vodka is absolutely fine, but 1 litre is a bit much? You just don't make any sense.

I buy in larger quantities because I get a cheaper price that way. Take the analogy of a chocolate bar; I go into a shop intending to buy one 50g chocolate bar for say €1, but I see that I can buy a 150g chocolate bar for €2.
    Perhaps I should be refused the 150g bar, seeing as it would be unhealthy to eat that all in one go (is it assumed that I cannot save some of it for another day?).

Thanks for the info. Any chance of a source though, showing that this can be found in the Intoxicating Liquor Act?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭iCosmopolis

I remember the small spar in balbriggan a few years ago having a sign up behind the counter saying if you were between 18 to 21 you were limited to 6 cans of beer/cider/litre cider, or a small bottle of spirits. I never questioned the legality as it didn't affect me, I assumed at the time it was kosher, whatever policy they'd decided themselves.
    I guess it's a vote with your feet scenario. Go to a different supplier, bad form of them refusing business to an adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

In all fairness lads I don't think it was about the profit as opposed to social responsibility.
    There has been many the time over the years I have served a pint to a regular as opposed to a double vodka and 'energy drink'. Reason being is that he/she will spend an hour looking at the pint and go home in control whereas the vodka etc doesn't suit their current condition.
    I was doing this long before the latest licensing laws came into effect and its always worked out for me.
    Whatever about the legality of what the shop done maybe they are before their time.*

*Believe me I ain't no prude.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,997 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Cathalog wrote: »
    Just thought I'd update you to say that I was refunded €20 (in voucher form). It just shows you that its worth fighting your case in these situations.

The policy will still be in force unfortunately, so I won't be buying any alcohol there anymore, but I can still get plenty of other items for that voucher.

I lodge a complaint with the Equality Tribunal, since they've given you a voucher they have admitted they have discriminated against you due to your age.

I thought the law was that if you suspected it was going to given to a minor you had to refuse the sale not sell smaller amounts. Can you provide a link to being allowed sell smaller amounts?

The OP could have been buying it as a present for a parent. Even if they where buying it for their own consumption not all young people are out of control alcoholics and making the assumption that the OP was not able to handle it was age discrimination, I'm sure that the people in the off licence have sold large quantities to people they know are alcoholics and can't handle their drink but are over 18.

5 naggins is a different mater, but the OP didn't ask for multiple bottles they wanted to buy in bulk to get the cheaper price.
    In all fairness lads I don't think it was about the profit as opposed to social responsibility.
    There has been many the time over the years I have served a pint to a regular as opposed to a double vodka and 'energy drink'. Reason being is that he/she will spend an hour looking at the pint and go home in control whereas the vodka etc doesn't suit their current condition.
    I was doing this long before the latest licensing laws came into effect and its always worked out for me.

Whatever about the legality of what the shop done maybe they are before their time.*

There is a law against being drunk in a pub. If you'd served them a double and mixer you could have broken the law. The fact that it's never enforced doesn't negate the responsibility of the barperson not to allow people get out of the their face on their premisses, isn't that one of the reasons why publicans want people back in pubs? Controlled drinking at high prices v's uncontrolled drinking on cheap booze at home. Even then in a few pubs I've been in they just serve the sloops to people who are too drunk to stand/notice!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I work as a bar man and there is a big deifference between a person with impaired senses buying more booze and a sober person choosing what alcohol to purchase. You're asked to step in in the former because it's understood that people's decision making in impaired.

I also would never refuse anything to an 18 year old I would give to a 35 year old. The law tells me both are adults and it's not my right to claim to know better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Show where this is stated in the intoxicating liquor act.

My understanding of the act is that if any person selling alcohol suspects it is for consumption by any person under 18 they must not sell it as it is an offence.

As mentioned by others, I believe that your situation is a different matter. You're serving people who may be drunk already and everything you sell to someone will be drank by them (exception: when they do rounds. But it's easy to tell when someone is buying a round). They won't be taking a pint home with them to save it for the next day!

Good on you for making sure that they aren't completely off their heads.

Del2005 wrote: »

I lodge a complaint with the Equality Tribunal, since they've given you a voucher they have admitted they have discriminated against you due to your age.

I thought the law was that if you suspected it was going to given to a minor you had to refuse the sale not sell smaller amounts. Can you provide a link to being allowed sell smaller amounts?

The OP could have been buying it as a present for a parent. Even if they where buying it for their own consumption not all young people are out of control alcoholics and making the assumption that the OP was not able to handle it was age discrimination, I'm sure that the people in the off licence have sold large quantities to people they know are alcoholics and can't handle their drink but are over 18.

5 naggins is a different mater, but the OP didn't ask for multiple bottles they wanted to buy in bulk to get the cheaper price.

There is a law against being drunk in a pub. If you'd served them a double and mixer you could have broken the law. The fact that it's never enforced doesn't negate the responsibility of the barperson not to allow people get out of the their face on their premisses, isn't that one of the reasons why publicans want people back in pubs? Controlled drinking at high prices v's uncontrolled drinking on cheap booze at home. Even then in a few pubs I've been in they just serve the sloops to people who are too drunk to stand/notice!

To be quite honest with you, I don't want to progress further with this.

They had the courtesy to compensate me more than I lost and so I feel it would be very unfair to report them.

Yes, they haven't changed their policy, but do you know what? It's their loss! I'll be buying elsewhere from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Show where this is stated in the intoxicating liquor act.

My understanding of the act is that if any person selling alcohol suspects it is for consumption by any person under 18 they must not sell it as it is an offence.

I was hoping the OP of this comment was going to come back and clarify rather than me doing a guessing game, but Section 11 of the 1924 Act could be interpreted to mean what was stated. I'm not sure now (can't get on to westlaw to see the consolidated legislation) but it does seem logical that the licensing laws would allow this.

Advertisement