Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shop online or in-store? [Will I lose insurance benefits?]

• 17-01-2013 7:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭

I am hoping to buy the Samsung Galaxy Note II, out of contract, as my prepay contract is far cheaper and a better option than going on Billpay. Also, buying it on Amazon Germany brings the price to €489 - a lot cheaper than in-store, at €599. But, will this affect my insurance?

I am currently using the Carphone Warehouse 'Lifeline' cover, and I once used it to get a replacement after my last one was lost. Now, if I buy online, I won't be able to get the insurance on the new handset, will I? Yes, I know I could probably get 3rd party insurance, but from reading the forums they are not helpful, and some say that they NEVER help you out if something goes wrong.

Is it really worth paying €100 or so less online, and losing my Carphone Warehouse cover, or should I wait longer, fork up the cash (which is an obscene price anyway) just for piece of mind at €13 per month.

Advice welcome.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭kirving

Phone insurance is a scam full stop. Well, for careful people anyway. I couldn't imagine paying €13 per month for insurance - that's over half my bill.

You're much better off just putting it on your house insurance if it's that much of a worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

Just don't bother with insurance, you'll probably pay E10 a month for a year that's E120, then if you did lose or damage your phone you have to pay an excess, probably another 100 quid, that adds up to half the cost of the phone, it makes no sense. It's a total scam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Thanks for the replies guys. However, I do think it is somewhat important.

I lost my phone, worth €450. After some hoop jumping (network fault, IMEI not properly registered and not blacklistable), I paid €60 and it was replaced. That's not bad overall, no?

How does it work on the house insurance? Surely I can't claim loss outside or theft on it? Why would they pay for that?

I appreciate the replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Hi Static,

Carphone will only insure a phone purchased in Carphone Warehouse as they need to have a record of the sale of the IMEI. If you don't plan on purchasing from CPW and still think you need insurance, try someone like Chill. Only thing is with Carphone you have the benefit of dealing with the customer consultants face to face and just generally having less hassle to deal with.

I really would not advise putting it under home insurance. Sure you might pay less per month compared to gadget insurance, but the excess fee is usually much higher.

Thanks for that.

The only thing with Chill, and other insurers, is that they offer to replace the phone, or a phone of a similar specification.

Clearly that is a massive cop-out for them- they could give me any old phone with 8MP camera and quad-core and their arse is covered, no? Also, Gadget Cover, and all the other insurance companies in Ireland doing phones have nothing but bad reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Thanks for that.

The only thing with Chill, and other insurers, is that they offer to replace the phone, or a phone of a similar specification.

Clearly that is a massive cop-out for them- they could give me any old phone with 8MP camera and quad-core and their arse is covered, no? Also, Gadget Cover, and all the other insurance companies in Ireland doing phones have nothing but bad reviews.

Where did you hear bad things about Chill? :) Because I'm considering them myself.

Not necessarily Chill, but any phone insurance company. The threads on the topic usually go in a certain way.

1. Someone like me asks about insurance: 'Which is best?', 'Do I need it?', 'Anyone have history with [name]?'
    2. Person jumps in saying that people don't need insurance; links to an article on it.
    3. Someone replies back saying that insurance is good since it costs X for a phone that costs XXX
    4. Thread dies.

Then it springs up again next week.

Chill seem to be selling JLT Insurance, and the website seems to be the same. I don't think that they actually do get quotes from many insurers for this type of insurance.

(The fact a company is called JLT Insurance reminds me of Peep Show. No? Maybe just me) :)

Advertisement