Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordinary Decent Hardworking Man Driven Out Of Ballybeg By Thugs

Options
  • 17-01-2013 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

This is from the News and Star.

A city man left shattered by the theft of personal items belonging to his deceased mother and the grotesque way in which burglars treated his home urinating in his fridge said yesterday that he can no longer live on the estate he has always called home.Just over a week ago for the second time in 6 months Mark Ryan has been left devastated by a break in at his home at Clonard Park Ballybeg.I was away for the weekend and when i saw the side gate open i knew straight away that something was wrong.Inside every door was open,his 11 year old daughters bedroom had been ransacked and among the items taken were an xbox,a laptop,a watch,and a 32 inch flat screen television.I have been living in Ballybeg all my life and up to recently i have worked all my adult life.I just mind my own business and despite it all i am the victim of anti social behaviour.

He said he was trying to shield his young daughter as much as he could from what was going on in parts of the estate and he was now at a point where she could not even go out to play on the street.I am trying to do the right thing for my daughter and the only way i can do that is by being rehoused in a different part of the city.In the latest attack on his home he said the mindless people involved had even urinated in his fridge but what hurt him most of all was the theft of his late mothers personal belongings which includes bandanas that she wore as she battled cancer.

I don't want to bring shame on Ballybeg.It was where i grew up and they are doing fantastic work in St Saviours parish including those involved in the boxing club,cill bara community sports centre,the community garden and fr declan and fr martin in st savious church.Others also doing great work were John Smith in the chipper and Nigel in the centra shop.An awful lot of people are doing an awful lot of good work but criminals invading the privacy of others are destroying lives.As with the robbery at his home in july he also reported the latest incident and he had received great support from the gardai.However their hands were tied in their bid to bring people before the courts without the help of the local community.Mark went on to point out that large items had been stolen from his home and he finds it impossible to believe that someone did not see something.

He believed that he is being targeted because he minds his own business and because they are people who are determined that he will be left with nothing.Although brought up in another part of Ballybeg he want's to leave the estate altogether for his own peace of mind and for the safety of his young daughter.He has spoken to the city councills anti social behaviour officer and to the housing department.I've been told that i can only be moved on medical grounds but surely the local authority must have some responsibilty to their law abiding tenants by tackling the issue of anti social behaviour.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

He won't be rehoused. If they rehouse him, it'll set a precedent and everyone with a bit of trouble will want to (and will have to) be rehoused. I think City Council should start sending out alarms for the houses, and make a deal with Eircom or someone for cheaper monitoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Very hard to get moved in a council house. My brother and his family had a nightmare a few years ago off neighbours and they we're pretty much between a rock and a hard place. While I fully agree with Potential Monke that it would open up flood gates if they started to allow it I don't think anyone should feel intimidated/afraid in their own home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

We should do what they are doing in Holland. Basically, move all the troublemakers into one housing estate and keep them away from the rest of us.

ziedth wrote: »
    ...I don't think anyone should feel intimidated/afraid in their own home.

I agree, but with cuts in the Garda force and budget, i can see it becoming a more regular occurrence.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I agree, but with cuts in the Garda force and budget, i can see it becoming a more regular occurrence.

I don't think you can blame the Gardai here, as there are limitis to what they can do. I think more of this comes down to council handling of troublemakers.

The scumbags need to take a level of responsibility, at present these people can get a council house make complete ****e out of it and get either a new one or get the existing one renovated and not have to fork out a penny....other then the very very low amount of rent they pay.

In reality like any person in a house these people should be deducted money for any such incurred unreasonable costs (not normal wear and tear), if it gets deducted from payslip if they work or from their dole if they are not working then so be it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    We should do what they are doing in Holland. Basically, move all the troublemakers into one housing estate and keep them away from the rest of us.

Theyre called halting sites and No. They dont work.

Also its not the Gardas fault if they dont have the resources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

They could create giant Favelas like they have in Brazil and re-house all the troublesome people into them.

Media999 wrote: »
    Theyre called halting sites and No. They dont work.

Plenty of travellers on halting sites have also social housing. Go figure.

Also its not the Gardas fault if they dont have the resources.

I never blamed the Gardaí. What we need is more prison places and judges to actually do their job and hand out severe sentences for persistence lawbreakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

The law in this country is far too lenient for scumbags, im tired of hearing "joe blogerson with 96 previous convictions...... etc etc.." when media is reporting on their latest crime. The Garda are doing the best they can with what they have, they have been on the receiving end of severe cuts and are still doing their best, but my problem is seeing these scumbags walk out of court time and time again with a big grin on their faces!
    Its a massive kick in the teeth to the law abiding members of society... A message needs to be sent, people need to be made example of!! All this bulls**t about "broken homes' etc does not wash with me, i have friends that come from all walks of background and still manage to lead a law respecting life!!

H

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Your heart would truly go out to the family. As far as the scumbags involved are concerned, I'd happily see them strung up and agree that the courts in this country are just way too lenient on scumbags who prey on decent people. There's something to be said for sharia law when it comes to thieves and I'd honestly have no problem with seeing scumbags pay in a severe and permanent way.

But I'd also have to wonder at the courage of those living around him. Communities that allow scumbags to own them are always going to suffer as any well publicised Dublin estate ravaged by drugs will attest. Communities that band together and say no will usually prevail. Clonard Park has been a problem area for many years yet this family had their home ransacked on two occasions and none of their neighbours, those on the street, area or estate noticed anything or were willing to stand up? Gardaí are well stretched but I guarantee they would become far more proactive if residents of the area stood up and said enough is enough. I'm not suggesting vigilante action here (though in the single case I experienced when a drug dealer attempted to sell drugs on my street many years ago and I 'had a word with him' it worked) but if the people of the area are not looking out for each other and saying no to these scumbags then the scumbags get to keep on grinning as they stroll out of the courthouse every week.

Sorry for the rant but I honestly get upset when I see decent folks having their lives trashed by scumbags and local people doing nothing to take ownership of their neighbourhoods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

You have thugs from places like Ballybeg and Knocknaheeny in Cork but i know a lot of sound people from both those places.I find the vast majority of people in Ballybeg to be grand and there are parts of it that are very settled.The Clonard and Ardmore Park estates seem to be the problem areas in Ballybeg.

You have thugs from places like Ballybeg and Knocknaheeny in Cork but i know a lot of sound people from both those places.I find the vast majority of people in Ballybeg to be grand and there are parts of it that are very settled.The Clonard and Ardmore Park estates seem to be the problem areas in Ballybeg.

Of course they are. I'm from a working class area myself. The problem I have with the bleeding heart brigade who defend these scumbags is that they don't realise the victims of these trouble makers are the working class people themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

This was a terrible thing to happen to that chap, the problem in Ballybeg is limited to about 2 or 3 notorious families, one in particular. I wont name them here but anyone from there will know exactly who Im talking about. Sadly the council seems to have swept the place under the carpet and anyone expecting rehousing can join long waiting lists and get caught up in red tape, often having to really push their case just to be heard.

Ballybeg has a bad rep theres no doubt about it. Personally I would not walk through it at night, which is sad as I know several people from there who couldnt be nicer, and the community has had to help itself out of the 'victim' perception it had and this is working very well (voluntary schemes for the unemployed etc) but as long as these horrible families, who walk free from court dozens of times a year, remain in Ballybeg the problem will sadly remain.

This was a terrible thing to happen to that chap, the problem in Ballybeg is limited to about 2 or 3 notorious families, one in particular. I wont name them here but anyone from there will know exactly who Im talking about. Sadly the council seems to have swept the place under the carpet and anyone expecting rehousing can join long waiting lists and get caught up in red tape, often having to really push their case just to be heard.

Ballybeg has a bad rep theres no doubt about it. Personally I would not walk through it at night, which is sad as I know several people from there who couldnt be nicer, and the community has had to help itself out of the 'victim' perception it had and this is working very well (voluntary schemes for the unemployed etc) but as long as these horrible families, who walk free from court dozens of times a year, remain in Ballybeg the problem will sadly remain.

But where can the council put them? All they can do is move them to another estate and then they cause problems there. Wash, rinse and repeat.

I think the Dutch have the right idea.
    AMSTERDAM is to create "scum villages" where nuisance neighbours and anti-social tenants will be exiled from the city and rehoused in caravans or containers with "minimal services" under constant police supervision.
    The Dutch capital already has a squad of municipal officials to identify the worst offenders for a compulsory six-month course on how to behave.
    Problem families who live in social housing or tenants who do not show an improvement or refuse to go to the special units face eviction and homelessness.

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/amsterdam-scum-town-to-house-antisocial-neighbours-3315514.html

This will never happen in Ireland because:

* We are broke and don't have the money.
    * Too many 'do gooders'.
    * Politicians have backbones of marshmallow.

What we should also do is stop paying people to have children.

the problem in Ballybeg is limited to about 2 or 3 notorious families, one in particular.

And until the people of Ballybeg stand up to these scumbags and confront them as a united community nothing will change.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Aye well the media would want you to believe that. There are at least three relatively new ARU Estate Cars in Waterford at the moment - one of which floats around Tramore. In addition, I have seen a new enough Garda Van in Tesco. Cuts are being made alright but Waterford, the often forgotten City, doesn't seem to be doing that bad.

The problem is the courts anyway. They don't come down hard enough on criminals.

Sorry if my post came across that way, but i was in no way blaming the Gardai. And i agree that the main problem is the Council and Courts.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

But where can the council put them? All they can do is move them to another estate and then they cause problems there. Wash, rinse and repeat.

I think the Dutch have the right idea.

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/amsterdam-scum-town-to-house-antisocial-neighbours-3315514.html

This will never happen in Ireland because:

* We are broke and don't have the money.
    * Too many 'do gooders'.
    * Politicians have backbones of marshmallow.

What we should also do is stop paying people to have children.

Nice idea but I am surprised it hasn't been challenged as against human rights. It wouldn't be a popular move in Ireland, even knocking travelers gets widespread criticism - both Fine Gael and Fianna Fail have come under that spotlight in the past few months and Sinn Fein are screaming blue murder about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

old gregg wrote: »
    And until the people of Ballybeg stand up to these scumbags and confront them as a united community nothing will change.

We are way ahead of you we are sorting out our pitch forks and stakes right now :rolleyes: it wont be long till they are run out of the estate by us Ballybeg people who dont actually really give a fu*k about these scumbags.

As it was said already there is maybe 2 - 3 scum families out in Ballybeg that seem to do as they please and the cops dont do much about them, the ordinary families out there get on with their lives as its not up to them to stand up to these people its up to the cops to do that and there is plenty of times when they could of done something about them but they didnt as per usual.

The people of Ballybeg are not vigilantes that go tit for tat with scum families. Do you live in the area? if you do are you going to stand up to them and fight your way out of the harassment that is inevitable if it all goes tits up for the folks that are standing up. The cops most certainly wont do a thing they come in have a look at whats going on stay for a bit and then fu*k off again and when they do the scum families will start all over again.

I have lived in the area for 28 years and i loved it there, im from there ,im proud to be from there, i know 99% of the people out there are good people that are living their own lives and are not going to stand up to these people when they dont have the full backing of the law because as i said when it goes tits up the cops wont be nowhere to be seen.

Your idea of standing up to these scum is easy for you to say from your keyboard of your own place thats more than likely not in Ballybeg.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

^ Good post there. Its easy enough to say the people should rise up and rebel agaist these families but most of them just dont want the hassle and these scumbag families have a long family tree and even longer memories so if you tackle one, you are tackling the whole lot of them, extended family, cousins, friends etc so its a non stop cycle of violence and intimidation, plus the Guards dont have your back.

Resentment is a factor, too. The people of Ballybeg surely know that if, for example, an estate like King's Channel reported a break in or assault, there would be no stone left unturned to catch the culprit but when Guards hear the word Ballybeg they just zone out, turn up for a minnute or two and high tail it away, so the estate has effectively just been left to fend for itself and any incidents like the OP is just "unfortunate" but there is no will to tackle these families, or if there is then the courts leave them down by releasing these thugs over and over again.

• Advertisement

S28382 wrote: »

Your idea of standing up to these scum is easy for you to say from your keyboard of your own place thats more than likely not in Ballybeg.

No I don't live there, but I have stood up to scumbags and happy to do so again. Nothing to do with keyboards but nice rant anyway.

No I don't live there, but I have stood up to scumbags and happy to do so again. Nothing to do with keyboards but nice rant anyway.

Haha a rant...some one responds to your post and you call it a rant. I like you have been in situations where i had to stand up to scumbags and i like you would do it again but i still think its very easy for you to say it about people standing up to them when its not you that has to do it on what would most likely be a regular basis because the help isnt always there. And by the way most folks dont like confrontation they prefer the law to deal with it which is not always the case out in Ballybeg.

Haha a rant...some one responds to your post and you call it a rant. I like you have been in situations where i had to stand up to scumbags and i like you would do it again but i still think its very easy for you to say it about people standing up to them when its not you that has to do it on what would most likely be a regular basis because the help isnt always there. And by the way most folks dont like confrontation they prefer the law to deal with it which is not always the case out in Ballybeg.

I used to go to school (St Paul's CC)with a lot of Ballybeg people. Very nice folks.

I myself am from Lisduggan.

I think maybe if you took a moment to read back over my previous posts on this topic you may see where you've gone wrong. I never suggested you should personally confront anyone. I believe that communities standing together deal with scumbags in the same way that they have done so elsewhere.

Your rant was where you typed before reading/thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

We are way ahead of you we are sorting out our pitch forks and stakes right now :rolleyes: it wont be long till they are run out of the estate by us Ballybeg people who dont actually really give a fu*k about these scumbags.

As it was said already there is maybe 2 - 3 scum families out in Ballybeg that seem to do as they please and the cops dont do much about them, the ordinary families out there get on with their lives as its not up to them to stand up to these people its up to the cops to do that and there is plenty of times when they could of done something about them but they didnt as per usual.

The people of Ballybeg are not vigilantes that go tit for tat with scum families. Do you live in the area? if you do are you going to stand up to them and fight your way out of the harassment that is inevitable if it all goes tits up for the folks that are standing up. The cops most certainly wont do a thing they come in have a look at whats going on stay for a bit and then fu*k off again and when they do the scum families will start all over again.

I have lived in the area for 28 years and i loved it there, im from there ,im proud to be from there, i know 99% of the people out there are good people that are living their own lives and are not going to stand up to these people when they dont have the full backing of the law because as i said when it goes tits up the cops wont be nowhere to be seen.

I knew some people that were living in a part of Cork that is riddled with crime and anti social behaviour.Whenever they rang the guards they would only show up two hours later after the scum went away.They then listened to their story and said that the community guard will contact them.Their were waiting until the day they moved out for that community guard to contact them.

I think maybe if you took a moment to read back over my previous posts on this topic you may see where you've gone wrong. I never suggested you should personally confront anyone. I believe that communities standing together deal with scumbags in the same way that they have done so elsewhere.

Your rant was where you typed before reading/thinking.

Is that your best way of coming back with an answer?

I can tell you the people out in Ballybeg wont go taking the law into their own hands whether as individuals or as a group, they are good decent folk, they wont go to the level of the few bad families already giving the place a bad name.

BTW would this be classed as a rant too?

I used to go to school (St Paul's CC)with a lot of Ballybeg people. Very nice folks.

I myself am from Lisduggan.

Good ol St Pauls i went there myself :) and the laps of the school during break time :D

Is that your best way of coming back with an answer?

I can tell you the people out in Ballybeg wont go taking the law into their own hands whether as individuals or as a group, they are good decent folk, they wont go to the level of the few bad families already giving the place a bad name.

BTW would this be classed as a rant too?

ffs the only person going on about taking the law into their own hands around here is you. Get a grown up to explain it to you and stop taking this personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Do the council have a legal obligation to rehouse troublemakers? If they persist and do not respond to intervention etc, can they not just be evicted. And if they are then homeless their children could be taken into care. Or are we talking about families that are themselves ok, but have adult children still living there that are causing problems?

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    Do the council have a legal obligation to rehouse troublemakers? If they persist and do not respond to intervention etc, can they not just be evicted. And if they are then homeless their children could be taken into care. Or are we talking about families that are themselves ok, but have adult children still living there that are causing problems?

AFAIK, if there is children involved they can't be evicted or they have to be housed immediately.

Advertisement