Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Irish Rail and DART logos

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Can't use 'Eiretrains', it's probably copyrighted now! :D

Some accolade - a railway company named after you !!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Was it a case that because it was not bilingual that another had to be remade?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Sure it will be grand

bk wrote: »
    I'd demphasize the Irish name IE even more, leave it out of the logo all together,

Nah, not gonna happen. The Irish has to be as prominent as the English, hence why the previous logo was done away with ;)

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

It seems a bit odd to refer to our railway company as ' Irish Iron Road'
    This conversation is complete nonsense. For the life of me I can't understand how this thread can be so full of people who claim to be experts in Irish linguistics. 'Iarnród' is the Irish for 'railway'. End of. No two ways about it.

If you take the individual components 'iarn' and 'ród', and insist on translating them literally and directly, you will get something different. But that's why you should never translate literally and directly between two languages.

etchyed wrote: »
    This conversation is complete nonsense. For the life of me I can't understand how this thread can be so full of people who claim to be experts in Irish linguistics. 'Iarnród' is the Irish for 'railway'. End of. No two ways about it.

If you take the individual components 'iarn' and 'ród', and insist on translating them literally and directly, you will get something different. But that's why you should never translate literally and directly between two languages.

Yep, if you took the French for "window shopping" literally, you'd think they were going around licking windows. It's "lèche-vitrine."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

I think the new logo is awful. It sort of looks like a 'N' formed between the two arrows, but overall the two arrow motif and orange colour reminds me of the Navigon (sat nav company) logo

navigon_logo.JPG

It doesn't look dissimilar to the Carrefour logo, either:

logo1.gif

Indeed, this logo also uses the colours of the flag of the country where the company was founded and is based. In Carrefour's case, though, this is probably a coincidence - after all, the French flag is blue-white-red, rather than red-white-blue... ;)

Meanwhile, the Indo is claiming that Iarnrod Eireann (as I'm deliberately still calling them, even if they want to be called otherwise) are refusing to say how much this new logo cost:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/irish-rail-silent-on-logo-cost-3368161.html

Regardless of how much it cost, I have to agree with those who have said that it is a pointless waste of money.

The 'plug and socket', or 'IE arrow', or whatever you want to call it, may not have been the most popular logo in the world - but it worked well enough for 19 years, and probably still had a good bit of life left in it. (Why not? Dublin Bus's castle logo has lasted nearly 26 years now, with no radical alterations along the way...)

If Iarnrod Eireann really wanted to streamline their brand image, then getting rid of the irishrail.ie logo was pretty much all they had to do...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

Never mind the new logo on the website, how long do you think it will take them to notice that Clongriffin is missing off the live map?

And why do trains on the Maynooth/M3 Parkway line have a DART icon but commuter trans on the Kildare line have a different icon ... but one that clearly depicts a pantograph?

Oh, and next time you are on the Intercity map screen, select the Level Crossings option from the Features menu and stand back. Its quite sobering!

But feck all that, lets spend money rebranding.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Strangely enough, the old corporate logo was in Irish only! The "irishrail.ie" logo was only ever meant to be a secondary logo for the website, not the main corporate logo, though it ended up on the side of some trains! Of course the Irish langauge lobby doesn't care if a logo is in Irish only, its when its in English only or the English is more prominent than the Irish that they object.

In any case, for better or for worse, the full company name is and always has been "Iarnrod Éireann-Irish Rail", even throughout the period they wanted to be known as Iarnrod Éireann only. It is admittaditly a bit of a mouthful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭RahenyD5

The use of the Tricolour may be considered to be tacky, I thought it was a good idea cos, as well giving the logo an Irish identity, green & orange are eye-catching colours though I prefer the outgoing IE logo over the new one.

How about merging the Tricolour into the IE logo like this idea I came up with below?

65115238.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I think the IE logo should be retained despite not reading IR for Irish Rail as Irish is obviously our language that it should come first before English though "Irish Rail" still will be present below "Iarnrod Eireann".

Even with "Irish Rail" being mentioned more often than before, I still reckon this IE logo should stay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Is the new logo more about the colour scheme on the new 22000srather than the colours of the flag? Orangey yellow for the train ends and the off whitish colour of the carriage sides and the green of the doors and go-faster stripes.

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Is the new logo more about the colour scheme on the new 22000srather than the colours of the flag? Orangey yellow for the train ends and the off whitish colour of the carriage sides and the green of the doors and go-faster stripes.

Oh, it's about the colours of the flag alright.

After all, the 22000s' livery is silver, metallic green and golden yellow - and the first and last colours are certainly not on the Tricolour. ;)

I can't help but wonder, though, if this new logo also means livery changes. I strongly doubt that any of the current stock would look tremendously good in green, white and orange, TBH...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I have heard reports that one of the Mk4 DVTs, number 4003 has the new logos on it already. Also one of the 071s has been repainted in an overall dark grey with the new logos. So much for the IE freight livery, didn't last too long.

I have heard reports that one of the Mk4 DVTs, number 4003 has the new logos on it already. Also one of the 071s has been repainted in an overall dark grey with the new logos. So much for the IE freight livery, didn't last too long.

Probably 077 or 078.

I have heard reports that one of the Mk4 DVTs, number 4003 has the new logos on it already.

Those reports are true - I saw it in Inchicore depot this evening.

No change to the livery, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Mark 4 DVT 4003 new logo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyhpXGDdMkc

thewanderer also have shots on their site.

It looks niceer that I expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

Horrible design for Irish Rail, bears the same idea as the Dutch rail, two arrows, only nowhere near the same standard

This is how it's done and still in use after all these years.

http://studiodumbar.com/work/ns-dutch-railways

"The Nederlandse Spoorwegen corporate logo was designed in 1968 by Gert Dumbar and Gert-Jan Leuvelink both of the graphic design company Tel Design. Introduced in that same year, it replaced an earlier design which had been used since 1946. The logo, purvasive within trains and railway stations in the Netherlands, plays a significant part in the NS' signage, promotions, advertising and graphic design.

The logo usually appears in blue on a dark yellow or white background. Since its introduction, NS livery have also had this same distinct dark yellow or white colour. The logo is a widened letter 'N' and a sideways (reversed) 'S'-shape. The two arrows in the logo represent the train's movement, and the two lines in the middle represent the track."

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

I think the new logo is awful. It sort of looks like a 'N' formed between the two arrows

interesting you mentioned the 'N' cos that is what the NS Dutch Rail one is, an N and an S with arrows.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

VEN wrote: »
    Horrible design for Irish Rail, bears the same idea as the Dutch rail, two arrows, only nowhere near the same standard

I can't even work out why they bothered to change their logo. They are a monopoly operator who has a major public perception issue due to poor service and high prices. Giving the business a new coat of paint isn't going to resolve its problems.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

VEN wrote: »

It and about half a dozen railway companies use variations on the double arrows. The British Rail version (dating from 1965) is probably the best known, particularly to Irish people who might visit the UK regularly. The BR version has in fact outlasted British Rail itself by over fifteen years at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,155 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Hungerford wrote: »
    I can't even work out why they bothered to change their logo. They are a monopoly operator who has a major public perception issue due to poor service and high prices. Giving the business a new coat of paint isn't going to resolve its problems.

Im glad you said that. You cannot rebrand a company via a corporate ID change alone. Some things have improved and a lot of things have remained the same. The CIE banner over the IE door does nothing but damage.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

You have to love the spin! As for Irish Rail only losing €21 million in 2012....there's lies, damned lies and .......:rolleyes:

As for the failure of the heating systems - I wonder how often the GSWR and GNR ripped up the concourses to replace defunct heating systems. I suspect that they didn't as they were answerable to their shareholders and thus ran a tight ship - unlike CIE who are seemingly answerable to nobody. Leo Varadkar is too busy promoting himself on other issues so as to position himself as a future leader of FG to be bothered about bringing CIE to account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

You have to love the spin! As for Irish Rail only losing €21 million in 2012....there's lies, damned lies and .......:rolleyes:

As for the failure of the heating systems - I wonder how often the GSWR and GNR ripped up the concourses to replace defunct heating systems. I suspect that they didn't as they were answerable to their shareholders and thus ran a tight ship - unlike CIE who are seemingly answerable to nobody. Leo Varadkar is too busy promoting himself on other issues so as to position himself as a future leader of FG to be bothered about bringing CIE to account.
    you would expect heating systems to last a bit longer than 20 years especially when they are expensive underfloor systems.

This new logo is starting to become a joke. To keep the Brits up north happy sets 1 to 6 that can operate in NI have the new logo without the flag. It looks very bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,688 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    This new logo is starting to become a joke. To keep the Brits up north happy sets 1 to 6 that can operate in NI have the new logo without the flag. It looks very bad.

I think it's being somewhat pragmatic given the tensions involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 traindude

spotted this on IRN..

a9a1ff28b7b33c310e9085110338a3d0d3edd2d6_full.jpg

lxflyer wrote: »
    I think it's being somewhat pragmatic given the tensions involved.

The 2900's that go up north have green while and a bit of orange on the logo.

If they have problems with flags then they will have a problem with Iarnród Éireann wrote on them or even better the Irish part of Irish Rail in green.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,688 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    The 2900's that go up north have green while and a bit of orange on the logo.

If they have problems with flags then they will have a problem with Iarnród Éireann wrote on them or even better the Irish part of Irish Rail in green.

I shall put it like this. My understanding is that they were advised to be "pragmatic" about the logo by the powers that be with regard to security on both sides of the border, and that is what they are doing.

Whether you feel it is stupid or not is another thing, but that's the situation I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Which is fine and well but shouldn't that consideration have been given during the rebranding exercise, the cost of which I would love to know?

Identity for a company is an odd thing - Margaret Thatcher had a good go at British Airways when they replaced the Chatham Dockyard Union Flag on the tails with the ethnic yokes. Turned out Maggie was right on this one - the foreigners weren't flying BA despite the British identity but because of it, as Branson was quick to realise as he quickly stuck blue white and red on his airliners.

Between the broken wheel and the flying snail and Arrow and all the rest (not to mention the fleeting sight of 2700s masquerading as 22000s) IE seems to have an awful faith in "change the logo/paintjob and people will think we're a new company" - and I'm sure any number of design consultants hope that will never change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭eorpach

Saw an Arrow diesel train today sporting a new shade of dark green with white doors - is this new colour scheme going to replace the existing ugly Arrow colour combo of light-green and navy?

Advertisement