Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pale Foundation for Cool Toned Skin?

• 17-01-2013 8:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭

Hello all! So to get to the point, I need a new foundation. I've been using Rimmel's 'Wake Me Up' in 100 (Ivory) for a small while. It's recently come to my attention (more on that below) that it's simply too dark/bordering orange for my skintone, I've tried and pleaded for it to magically turn into the perfect foundation but alas... I think it's time to give up and try something new.

So (from what I can tell/what make-up artists have told me) I'm cool toned. Not the MAC version, the proper one. I've got pink/red undertones, light-ish hair and pale-ish eyes, yada, yada, yada. Now saying that, my neck is the opposite, I tend to carry no redness and actually look a bit yellow/warm which makes it confusing for me with foundations. Does anyone have any idea about that?

To avoid looking like an oompa loompa, I squeezed (what has to be) the last bit out of my Studio Sculpt I had left in my drawer out today. It's NW15 and to my surprise, it too looked a bit dark on me as well! Now, lately I've been doing my make up in natural light so this is why I'm only noticing all this now. I know, I'm awful for only copping it but better late than never, right? So with this revelation in mind, I'm in need of a foundation that actually suits me.

So what I'm thinking is that I'm around an NW10? I've got oily/combination skin, I have dry patches and would like to avoid foundation that highlights that problem! I've been searching the internet the past hour and a bit and I'm genuinely stumped. Most pale foundations are warm toned and yellow based which wouldn't be good for me.

The best I've come across is Revlon Colorstay in Ivory but even then it looks a smidgen bit dark... Is there any chance anyone could help me and advise me some bit?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭vibrantblue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Oh that video was part of my "research". I found the foundations she said that had pink undertones didn't when I actually googled some swatches. They looked really yellow, like the L'Oreal Infalable one. The Max Factor one looks alright but I'm not sure, I can only get Polish reviews off it and can't make out what it's even like...

So it wasn't a great deal of help, sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Resi12 wrote: »
    Oh that video was part of my "research". I found the foundations she said that had pink undertones didn't when I actually googled some swatches. They looked really yellow, like the L'Oreal Infalable one. The Max Factor one looks alright but I'm not sure, I can only get Polish reviews off it and can't make out what it's even like...

I use the max factor and find it good, I get mine from Amazon While it isn't the best match I have found for my skin, it comes pretty close and at €9 it is great for every day wear. I am going to try that face atelier zero minus as I have loads of foundation here that is slightly too dark and that would make it all usable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Try illamasqua

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Lancome Teint Miracle is a lovely pink toned pale one, it's beautiful! MAC also have new paler shades I swatched the number 10 shade in store and it's properly pale! Max Factor do a very pale shade in their Xperience Weightless foundation and Illamasqua do a proper pale shade in their skin base foundations. If stuck Illamasqua and Face Atelier do white foundations to help lighten existing shades!

• Advertisement

Tasden wrote: »
    Try illamasqua

Ha! I was literally going to recommend it (the white shade of Skin Base) to lindtee as a dupe for the Atelier Zero.

I was considering Skin Base for a while too. I heard it's not great for oily skin though? God, I sound like some whiner but I hate spending money on foundations when I'm not sure about them. It's such a waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭vibrantblue

Sorry, it wasn't any help. :(

I'm not pale myself. I'm subscribed to her on YT and remembered she had such a video when I saw your thread.

I heard that MAC released new shades called NW 10 and NW 13.

http://thunderandthreads.blogspot.ie/2013/01/ootd-mac-ramblings.html

Ha! I was literally going to recommend it (the white shade of Skin Base) to lindtee as a dupe for the Atelier Zero.

I was considering Skin Base for a while too. I heard it's not great for oily skin though? God, I sound like some whiner but I hate spending money on foundations when I'm not sure about them. It's such a waste.

Havent tried it sorry! The one in the little compact (I'm useless with names!) is good for oily skin I think. The rich liquid is very heavy duty but its way too dry/pasty for my skin even with a primer so maybe it might be nice on oily skin. It literally covers everything though.
    Their shades are great!
    You're right to be picky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Thanks for the tip on the illamasqua. Most of the make-up counters in Debenhams (and prob all department stores) will give you testers of foundation. Actually someone here posted that they bring their own little tester pots into the likes of boots to get samples from the stands which is an idea too!!
    YSL Touche eclat foundation is lovely and gives a beautiful finish. I got a sample of bd20 and br20 when I asked and when they next do a 10 or 15% off beauty offer I am def going to invest in the br20. I think it is plenty pale for me but they do a b10, br10 and a bd10 (basically loads of pale shades!) which might suit your skin better.

SmokeyEyes wrote: »
    Lancome Teint Miracle is a lovely pink toned pale one, it's beautiful!

Oh really? I might pop in for a sample at the very least, I'll have a google at some swatches and what not! We might be onto something here! :D
    Sorry, it wasn't any help. :(

I'm not pale myself. I'm subscribed to her on YT and remembered she had such a video when I saw your thread.

I heard that MAC released new shades called NW 10 and NW 13.

Awh, you're grand. Even taking the effort to reply was help enough! I have heard that alright, about time or what like? Sadly though, me and MAC foundations don't get along. Studio Fix is too drying for me and Studio Sculpt makes me shiny after like 2-3 hours which I know isn't the worst but is still a nuisance and hasn't me rushing to fork out near 40 euro.

Then the rest I find either to not have enough coverage or aren't anything special and believe me, I have tried!

[QUOTE=lindtee;82743934YSL Touche eclat foundation is lovely and gives a beautiful finish. I got a sample of bd20 and br20 when I asked and when they next do a 10 or 15% off beauty offer I am def going to invest in the br20. I think it is plenty pale for me but they do a b10, br10 and a bd10 (basically loads of pale shades!) which might suit your skin better.[/QUOTE]

I was SO excited about Touche Eclat and then... *dun, dun, dun* I read it wasn't the best for oily skin. I was so annoyed, I really thought it would be something good for me!

Is Bourjois good for cool skin or is it all a bit yellow based? I use it when I'm tanned (night out) and it's my perfect foundation but mind you I've mixed it with a few to get it to that stage, still though...
    Havent tried it sorry! The one in the little compact (I'm useless with names!) is good for oily skin I think. The rich liquid is very heavy duty but its way too dry/pasty for my skin even with a primer so maybe it might be nice on oily skin. It literally covers everything though.
    Their shades are great!
    You're right to be picky!

I've heard the rich liquid is like cement myself! I don't want to wear a mask. I always prime, it does help a bit but realistically it's not doing miracles for me. :(

Ah stop, if I wasn't I'd end up spending a ridiculous amount with them half wasted...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Barry M does a white foundation too which is only around six euro. I got mine in London but I'm sure you could order it online or ask if Boots could order it in. I just use my regular Bourjois and Revlon foundations mixed with it. It works really well.

The YSL is my newest and I adore it but my God does it make your face look greasy! And I have dry skin! Went out and bought a powder its so bad and I never use powder even though I should just cause my skin is always so dry.

Yep the rich liquid is verrry rich! With the primer I felt the same way, didn't really notice a difference but turns out it was just because the one I was using wasn't very good (expensive doesn't always mean good!), so maybe shop around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

Another vote here for Lancome Teint Miracle.
    http://www.lancome.co.uk/_en/_gb/makeup/complexion/foundation/teint-miracle-292013.aspx

It's a beautiful foundation. It's about thirty five euro I think. I find that a little goes a really long way with it though.

boogle wrote: »
    Another vote here for Lancome Teint Miracle.
    http://www.lancome.co.uk/_en/_gb/makeup/complexion/foundation/teint-miracle-292013.aspx

It's a beautiful foundation. It's about thirty five euro I think. I find that a little goes a really long way with it though.

Hmm! It really wasn't one that even caught my attention/would have never thought Lancome. I really must go get a sample in this case! Thanks a million!
    The YSL is my newest and I adore it but my God does it make your face look greasy! And I have dry skin! Went out and bought a powder its so bad and I never use powder even though I should just cause my skin is always so dry.

Yep the rich liquid is verrry rich! With the primer I felt the same way, didn't really notice a difference but turns out it was just because the one I was using wasn't very good (expensive doesn't always mean good!), so maybe shop around.

Yeah, I definitely heard that. I'd not go near it in case, I might as well use oil for foundation! Sorry to sound horrid! :P

Oh stop, I know that myself. I rarely splurge much, I try and find as many cheap (but great quality) products that I can. Which makes up like 80% of my bag!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

I'm using bourjois healthy mix serum in shade 51, it's very pale but slightly yellow toned, I find that it balances out my redness and gives a nice neutral even looking skin tone. It's worth a look! I was the same with wake me up, it's such a shame, their new foundation lasting perfection is a bit better, but just a little too dark for me mid winter!

I'm using bourjois healthy mix serum in shade 51, it's very pale but slightly yellow toned, I find that it balances out my redness and gives a nice neutral even looking skin tone. It's worth a look! I was the same with wake me up, it's such a shame, their new foundation lasting perfection is a bit better, but just a little too dark for me mid winter!

Actually healthy mix was my last foundation (i change every few months) and it's great! My sister loved it too

Advertisement