Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

aggressive with bone

• 17-01-2013 10:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

Tonight I am angry with jago and myself :)
    I went to the pet shop to buy some stuff and I bought also a pig ear.. just to try.
    I gave him and he was crazy happy.
    He went in his bed to chew it and was all busy..
    I was on the couch, I did to pet him and he started growling... but bad growling.

I wanted then to go to eat and and go away from that room, so the only way was to took the pig-ear... he was bad and tried almost to bite me..
    I know I should not be scared, but...
    So I took some sausages and made exchange few times.. to make him understand that if I take something I will give him back.

I don't like at all this behaviour.
    Suggestions?

Comments

I think what you did was fine, keep doing it and he'll get the message, shouldn't happen again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

I don't know what's up with him tonight!!
    He is a bit nervous and for the wind..
    We came back from a walk outside and a run..
    I went up to my room to get changed and he came with me and he pee on my bed!!!
    Where he sleeps as well!!!

(sorry for the ot, but... grrr)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Just keep a close eye on this jsabina, that's two things he's done today that are out of character for him: just keep an eye in case he's coming down with something.
    However, that growling over the pig's ear: don't worry too much, he's still really young and there's loads of time to correct this. It's perfectly natural behaviour for him to want to guard what he views as a precious resource.. but that's doesn't mean it's acceptable!
    You'll be glad to hear you did the right thing playing the swapping game. However, I would do it in a much more structured way, starting tomorrow. Give him another toy, not a chew toy, one that he does not guard.
    Now, with this non-guarded object, play the swapping game, and play it a LOT. Approach him from lots of different angles, at different speeds, from different distances, and ask him to swap the non-guarded object. Practise this many times a day for the next week or two.
    To swap, offer him a reasonably nice treat, when he drops the object, give him the treat, pick up the object, and give it back to him, for now. Later, you can take the guarded item away altogether and replace it with something else, perhaps a toy that he hasn't seen for a while.
    The reason you need to start off with a non-guarded item is to completely remove any negative emotion from the training process, and teach your pup the Rules of the Game in the simplest, easiest setting that you can, before gradually moving him on to items that are more valuable to him.
    So, you need to get him to the stage that you can approach him from all angles, no matter whether he's in bed, running about, whatever, with the non-guarded object, and he is DELIGHTED to see you coming... waggy, soft body, smiley face, almost asking you to take the object.
    Now, you can start to do the same exercises with objects he might be more likely to guard: his dinner bowl perhaps? Or a favourite toy? Or a chew that's not quite as tasty as a pig's ear?
    Whatever, you repeat exactly the same exercises, many times a day, for a week or two, until he is thrilled to see you coming! This stage should be easier, because he has already learned how this game works from the easier exercises you started out with.
    Finally, onto the pig's ear. Do nothing different to what you've been doing with the less guarded items, except for one thing: now you offer him REALLY nice treats.. chicken, ham, baked liver, something he never gets in any other circumstances.
    Once you can do all of these things, start to get other people involved, so that pup learns that other people play the same game as his mum does. But when each new person gets involved, they must start at the beginning with the unguarded object. However, because you've done the really hard work, they can progress to more advanced stages much more quickly. Finally, get kids swapping stuff with pup. Be careful with the kids though: it would be great to get them involved, but I would be inclined to leash pup so that he can't lunge at the child. Also, kids always give him lovely treats, from the start. Kids always=good times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

Thanks DBB very good advices.
    He has any problems with all the other toys or snacks, food... it's the first time.
    This morning I gave him another chew thing and he has been fine to give me back without growling.
    I will play the game of the exchange for few weeks and try again with the pig's ear later..
    I need to find kids available then :D I will put an ad ahaha joking

Advertisement