Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Apprenticeship

Options
  • 17-01-2013 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

I am turning 28 in June and I have seen a few Electrical apprenticeships being offered around my area.

Am I to old and just wasting my time??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

Go for it! I worked with a guy in his late 30s who got fed up of working in an office based environmental and went and started it and loved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

eire-kp wrote: »
    Go for it! I worked with a guy in his late 30s who got fed up of working in an office based environmental and went and started it and loved it!

Great ill apply so and see what happens :D

I can only try :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BrianDug

Never too old, it can be tough work at times but the four years passes very quickly. Its something you will always have to fall back on anywhere you go in the world.

Make sure the company will see you through your entire apprenticeship as you can get stuck in limbo if they let you go at any stage. Also make sure y=they register you immediately with FAS as thats the date your 4-years begins to start.

It can take more than 4 years in some circumstances and you will need to do a colour vision test.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

BrianDug wrote: »
    Never too old, it can be tough work at times but the four years passes very quickly. Its something you will always have to fall back on anywhere you go in the world.

Make sure the company will see you through your entire apprenticeship as you can get stuck in limbo if they let you go at any stage. Also make sure y=they register you immediately with FAS as thats the date your 4-years begins to start.

It can take more than 4 years in some circumstances and you will need to do a colour vision test.

Best of luck

That's the biggest issue I've seen is with apprentices not being able to finish.

Definitely great to have as I want to travel in a few years, Will settle for a few months in each area so having a trade is a great thing.

How far abroad does the Irish qualification stretch does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BrianDug

I have no worked abroad so I am not certain on individual countries but places like Australia and Canada I think you just have to sit a sett of exams to bring you up to speed on the local regulations.

The maths although is not too bad, it can catch you out if you your level of maths is not good. Phase 4 is where you will see a jump in the level of maths but once you understand its the same type of stuff in Phase 6.

Your best bet could be one of the bigger companies, check out what projects they have in the pipeline. I would avoid working solely for a domestic(house) electrical company. Stick to the industrial/commercial end as I feel its more beneficial in what you will learn from the experience.

You will meet people older than you doing apprenticeships so I would not worry about the age its not big deal. You can either do the work or you cant. A good path is apprenticeship > electrical engineering and something worth keeping in mind.

ESB usually recruit apprentices, would be worth a look also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement