Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

loyalists paramilitaries.

• 18-01-2013 12:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭

Why are they allowed continue their antics..

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

Very good question- but I think you have to make OPs longer.

The PIRA dismantled themselves, and so have the INLA. With obvious pressure from the British government to do so.

The OIRA remain- but they have been very much silent since the late 70s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Why are they allowed continue their antics..

What are their antics? in relation to say to the antics of the CIRA.

LordSutch wrote: »

The UVF have killed many, many more people since their so-called cease fire than the CIRA.

There was a list of some them done by a Unionist on Slugger.

Also have you not been following the news?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Our troglodytic, self-entitled, siege-mentality, superiorist, racist, ill-educated, rioting, terrorist, drug dealing neighbours.
    A great bunch of lads.*

*According to the British authorities who colluded with them for decades and now fail to arrest and prosecute them for fear of 'destabilising communities.'

• Advertisement

Our troglodytic, self-entitled, siege-mentality, superiorist, racist, ill-educated, rioting, terrorist, drug dealing neighbours.
    A great bunch of lads.*

*According to the British authorities who colluded with them for decades and now fail to arrest and prosecute them for fear of 'destabilising communities.'

Nah PUP are all lovey-dovey anti-racists and feminists. :)

Do you know that Jamie Bryson put on his CV when he was running for election anti-racist and anti-sectarian activism- you couldnt make it up.

Only in OWC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

the UVF and the UDA are supposed to have ended their armed campaigns in 2007 whereas the CIRA and RIRA aren't on any type of ceasefire. Another difference is the UVF and UDA control a lot of militant loyalist thinking and could and can unsettle things with their behaviour whereas 99% of republicans know the RIRA and CIRA are a shower of headcases who don't have the capabilities to mount any type of sustained offensive or to even unsettle the peace process.

Also have you not been following the news?

Currently - The Loyalist paramilitaries are just full of hot air and hollow threats, but what I fine much more worrying is the real threat from the so called 'Real IRA' who have actually murdered soldiers and a policeman, and who have also made several attempts on other police officers lives in the last few weeks! not forgetting their threat's to Irish people serving in the armed forces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Boards really needs a forum for Northern Ireland. Sick of these stupid threads popping up every week!

Currently - The Loyalist paramilitaries are just full of hot air and hollow threats, but what I fine much more worrying is the real threat from the so called 'Real IRA' who have actually murdered soldiers and a policeman, and who have also made several attempts on other police officers lives in the last few weeks! not forgetting their threat's to Irish people serving in the armed forces.

The death threats to members of the Alliance Party pass you by? Their attack on the Short Strand? Their role in the current "fleg mess"?

• Advertisement

The death threats to members of the Alliance Party pass you by? Their attack on the Short Strand? Their role in the current "fleg mess"?

As I said they are full of hollow threats and hot air (and that's all hopefully) and as regards the short strand, I think the stones & bottles were going each way, mostly being thrown by young Loyalist & Nationalist yobbos..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    Boards really needs a forum for Northern Ireland. Sick of these stupid threads popping up every week!
    Irish politics forum has discussions about Irish politics, what a shocker.

As I said they are full of hollow threats and hot air (and that's all hopefully).

If you got a bullet in the mail would you see it so lightly especially when fellow party members had their homes attacked? People have had to move out of Northern Ireland- probably with the advice of the PSNI.

GRMA wrote: »

Well NI is part of the UK, with a devolved & funded UK administration . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

we are in enough trouble in the south .we cant look after ourselves. god knows how we would afford another 6 counties to pay for

As I said they are full of hollow threats and hot air (and that's all hopefully) and as regards the short strand, I think the stones & bottles were going each way, mostly being thrown by young Loyalist & Nationalist yobbos..

Live rounds fired in the attempted the pogrom the year before last.

I think you seriously underestimate Loyalism.

Well NI is part of the UK, with a devolved & funded UK administration . . .

Filled though with Irish Passport holders and people who consider themselves Irish.

If you got a bullet in the mail would you see it so lightly especially when fellow party members had their homes attacked? People have had to move out of Northern Ireland- probably with the advice of the PSNI.

They are of course thugs, wasters and neanderthals on the whole, but thatkfully they aint killing people in the current climate, and I hope it stays that way.

GRMA wrote: »

It's Northern Irish politics. Nothing to do with The Republic of Ireland. Seriously though, go back and look at all the Northern Ireland threads. It's the same posters with the same views arguing and going around in circles. Nobody learns anything new.

It's a waste of time and clogs up the main forum.

There are a lot of people from Northern Ireland living both from Protestant and Catholic backgrounds who live in the Republic. A lot of Irish people fell its the same country. A lot of people from the Republic went to jail over Troubles related offenses.
    It's Northern Irish politics. Nothing to do with The Republic of Ireland. Seriously though, go back and look at all the Northern Ireland threads. It's the same posters with the same views arguing and going around in circles. Nobody learns anything new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

Yer, that's pretty much the nail on the head there

It's Northern Irish politics. Nothing to do with The Republic of Ireland.

Give over. You don't like Irish politics being discussed on an Irish political discussion board take it up with the owners or the moderators.

There are a lot of people from Northern Ireland living both from Protestant and Catholic backgrounds who live in the Republic. A lot of Irish people fell its the same country. A lot of people from the Republic went to jail over Troubles related offenses.

And then the Good Friday agreement was signed. I respect peoples right to view themselves as Irish/British/Northern Irish or all three. However N.I. has a separate political system to Ireland with different parties (Sinn Fein being the exception) whether you agree with this or not. The politics of the North and South are different. I don't disagree with what you have said though as it is true.

My main reason for wanting a separate forum is because all of these threads descend into chaos and because as I've said they all go around in circles, not for the reasons above.

Dan no one is forcing you to read them.

Give over. You don't like Irish politics being discussed on an Irish political discussion board take it up with the owners or the moderators.

No. I don't like these threads being discussed in the main forum as they always go around in circles. Same people posting, saying the same things, arguing with the same points and everyone getting nowhere. They clog up the main forum.

Anyway, I've obviously taken this thread way off topic so I'll leave it there.

Dan isnt forced to read these threads. There are thousands of threads on this forum most of when I wont open because I have no interest in them.

Anyway- were any Alliance Party activists threatened or had their homes attacked during the Anglo-Irish Agreement crisis? RUC members' homes were. I dont recall any Alliance Party members' having trouble. There was though the shameful exiling of Rev David Armstrong.

The Loyalists over the last while seem to have crossed a new line.

Filled with Irish passport holders? surely you mean less than half the population of NI, and anyway there are other parts of the UK where part of the population might also not identify with themselves as being British.

The irony here being that many loyalist leaders carry Irish passports.

Filled though with Irish Passport holders and people who consider themselves Irish.

Filled with Irish passport holders? surely you mean less than half the population of NI, and anyway there are other parts of the UK where parts of the population might also not identify themselves as being British, which is their choice, doesn't alter the fact that they live in the UK of GB & NI.

Filled with Irish passport holders? surely you mean less than half the population of NI, and anyway there are other parts of the UK where part of the population might also not identify with themselves as being British.

Only 14 per cent of Welsh people consider themselves British. :)

The fact is though that though its under another State many if not most people here on this island consider Ireland to be one Country.

Country does not necessarily equal state.

• Advertisement

Only 14 per cent of Welsh people consider themselves British. :)

And so . . . .

And so . . . .

I was agreeing with your point about there being other places in the UK with loads of people who dont identify with being British.

Anyway what does British mean? The Irish, Welsh, Scots, Manx, English and Cornish do have all a lot in common- but also radical differences as well. In a way I would say Im British- but not in the sense of supporting the UK state. When people go on about Britishness in Ireland it carries an awful POLICTICAL baggage.

The Union has worked wonders for the south east of England. Not for anyone else.

It particularly has NOT worked for Northern Ireland. Any of the economic and cultural fears that might have justified partition are long since gone.

Its way past time for national unity.

I was agreeing with your point about there being other places in the UK with loads of people who dont identify with being British.

Anyway what does British mean? The Irish, Welsh, Scots, Manx, English and Cornish do have all a lot in common- but also radical differences as well. In a way I would say Im British- but not in the sense of supporting the UK state. When people go on about Britishness in Ireland it carries an awful POLICTICAL baggage.
    we would be lost without the british. all the irish learning a living there. all the exports. how many visit every week for premier league matches. everyone has a relation living there. time for all to grow up and put the past behind us

gowley wrote: »
    we would be lost without the british. all the irish learning a living there. all the exports. how many visit every week for premier league matches. everyone has a relation living there. time for all to grow up and put the past behind us
    lol meant to say earning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Listen, we've an open all year round feedback thread on the front page, one of the very few forums on Boards that have it, yet it gets ignored.

There is no need to make points about moderation on threads when we've a specific thread for it. Then again, that would mean reading up stuff about the environment you are posting in, giving consideration for differing opinions and nobody clearly cares.

An open feedback thread is lost on this board. Sure thing, if we closed it, ye'd have posters calling for an open feedback thread.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement