Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics Card Issue - 7970

Options
  • 18-01-2013 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I am having issues with my new 7970 which are documented in the quotes below. I am wondering can anyone clarify or provide any information on how to solve this issue?

The rest of the build is documented at the bottom of this post, along with the original thread in the build forum.

Thanks for your time and I appreciate you guys reading it and any feedback you have.

Cheers,
    Nick
    n1ck wrote: »
    So i've received my PC, but unfortunately any time I have power connected to the graphics card I don't get any signal to the monitor. I've looked in the bios for an option to disable the onboard but there is none. I disabled the onboard in the device manager but any time I boot with the power attached to the graphics card it doesn't work. The onboard still works even though the onboard was disabled too... I am lost for ideas at this stage and incredibly frustrated.

I would hate to be someone who doesn't have much experience with this stuff!

n1ck wrote: »

I have tried both dvi and the hdmi outputs on the card, both are the same.

The default graphics adapter is set to PCI-E too. Whenever there is no power to the card it is not displayed in the bios graphic display and when there is power there is no display at all from either onboard or the card. The two connectors, 8 pin and 6 pin, theyre the red ones that go into the top of the card at the back, correct?

Cheers

Wossack wrote: »
    ugh its a bizarre one alright...

so, in the bios, theres the option under northbridge to choose the primary display adaptor - onboard, pci express, or pci

if you choose onboard, with the gpu hooked up ok, but the dvi connector into the onboard, the pc will boot in fine, display desktop. And from there we could get device manager to see it, and install correct drivers via ATIs utility. All hunky dorey...

however, swapping the cable into the graphics card at that point does nothing - looks like back into bios to swap the primary display adapter (how shit is that btw? cant display from both at once?)

so into bios, change primary display to pci express, and reboot - only this time the motherboard doesnt get all the way through its boot, and hangs - displaying '62' in the albeit handy 'dr debugger' display on the motherboard - which from the manual means "Installation of the South Bridge Runtime Services" (aka, sfa..). Dead as a doornail at this point.. no display or anything

tried updating the motherboard bios, and no change. And was going to try doing the GPU bios also, but I didnt think that likely... might be worth a go though

tried forcing the PCIe detection to gen1 (no dice), and tried gen3 (no dice), so its left to auto at the moment

no change if using the other 16x PCIe slot

as error was southbridge related, I pulled cables out of the 1394 and front usbs, and disabled usb3 in bios (google came up with a guy saying there may be power issues) - no change

going to hit the google tomorrow, but just if anyone else thinks of anything...!

Item|Price
    Corsair Hydro Series H100i|€106.99
    Corsair Carbide Series 500R schwarz, ATX, ohne Netzteil|€101.63
    Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155|€205.99
    ASRock Z77 Extreme6, Sockel 1155, ATX|€150.14
    16GB-Kit Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800U CL9|€69.70
    Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition, 3GB GDDR5, PCI-Express|€394.68
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 650W|€70.90
    Crucial M4 Slim 128GB SATA 6GB's 6,4cm (2,5")|€95.22
    Rechner - Zusammenbau|€20.00
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€1234.24

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056842715

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What type of cable are you using?

Tried using the other two?

BTW, if you typed up the symptoms and tests yourself and kept it concise you'll be more likely to get help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

This can be closed, we've come to the conclusion that the card was DOA.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,407 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Are you sure? I have an Asus board with crossfire ability, the primary card slot is not to be used when you are running one card. They even give you a cap card for the slot, and you are meant to put the gpu in slot two. Slot one is only meant to be populates by a second card when in crossfire.

My brothers card worked in it and the 7970 didn't work in his. We did some other stuff which is documented in the other thread if you want to read that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Don't know if you sorted your problem but the 7970 is two 8pin power connectors. Some power supply you gotta join the power connectors together to create the block.

• Advertisement

Sorry the problem is sorted. The 7970 is an 8 and 6 pin. I RMA'd it and got a new one and it works perfectly.

Advertisement