Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that annoy you

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Americanisms and their influence on young people. Reminds me of one child I know that has a fierce Texan drawl from watching "Bear in the Big Blue House"!

Even my wife when our child used to watch Barney and I would ask her turn off that shìte she would say to me "Why? Are you afraid it might turn our son gay?", I said "No, I'm afraid it might turn him into a gibbering fcuking idiot!"

Get with the times! Mom is the new standard replacing that "Mam" bog talk :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

1ZRed wrote: »

I would prefer to talk like a bog warrior than an american douchebag.

maguic24 wrote: »
    I would prefer to talk like a bog warrior than an american douchebag.

Doesn't want to sound like an "American douchebag", uses the word "douchebag". Nice one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

If my son ever calls me pop, he'll get a clip round the ear and told to cop the fcuk on! :pac:

Same goes for if he ever thinks it's ok to call me by my first name because he hears his friends calling their parents friends by their first names! :mad: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

It is in its bum a new standard. The only place I consistantly see that mum/mom Sh*te is on greeting cards.

• Advertisement

If my son ever calls me pop, he'll get a clip round the ear and told to cop the fcuk on! :pac:

Same goes for if he ever thinks it's ok to call me by my first name because he hears his friends calling their parents friends by their first names! :mad: :pac:

Alright Jesus, I said Mom and Dad. Don't open the fecking floodgates :p

They're the only Americanisms I use. Though I do call my Mom by her first name in a Cork accent just to piss her off sometimes.

elfy4eva wrote: »
    It is in its bum a new standard. The only place I consistantly see that mum/mom Sh*te is on greeting cards.

Every single young person I know my age says Mom, so yeah it is the new standard at least where I'm from. And where I'm from the vast majority of us have neutral accents too, not americanised, but also not influenced by the midlands, cork or Donegal accents for example. You'd knew we're still Irish, but it'd be very subtle. None of this "Me Mam" stuff you'd hear in places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Ah I hate 'mom'. I used to mind children with a neighbour about 10 years. The amount of children that had a distinctive American accent was mad. I tried to give them elocution lessons Roscommon style to get them out of talking like yanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭jennytightlips

It's a long tread didn't read through it all not too sure if its been posted yet, but what really p!sses me off is when people take all the credit for something you've put 99% of the work into :(

Every single young person I know my age says Mom, so yeah it is the new standard at least where I'm from. And where I'm from the vast majority of us have neutral accents too, not americanised, but also not influenced by the midlands, cork or Donegal accents for example.

You and your niche's (as a group) can standardize whatever ya like! But as long as you live under the Green White & Orange, Mam is the national standard! :D

• Advertisement

It's a long tread didn't read through it all not too sure if its been posted yet, but what really p!sses me off is when people take all the credit for something you've put 99% of the work into :(

There's stuff in here that's been repeditively posted numerous times already (road rules and change in the hand, not on the counter type stuff), but I don't believe yours has been mentioned before, so at least this time you can take full credit for that one :D

Love the username by the way :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Have you always called your mother "Mom" though?

Rasheed wrote: »
    Ah I hate 'mom'. I used to mind children with a neighbour about 10 years. The amount of children that had a distinctive American accent was mad. I tried to give them elocution lessons Roscommon style to get them out of talking like yanks.

Ahh here! :D

You could've just stuck a baby potato in each side of their mouths and then had them recite "She sells sea shells on the sea shore" :p

The only "mom" people I know are D4 roish US accent people. It's mam, not mom or mum unless you are not from Ireland.
    I'm not even from Dublin and we don't have american accents, we just say mom is all.
    Have you always called your mother "Mom" though?

Always. So did my cousins, my mates and sisters. Everyone I know.

You and your niche's (as a group) can standardize whatever ya like! But as long as you live under the Green White & Orange, Mam is the national standard! :D

Well I hope at least you can say things like "three" instead of saying "tree" :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Always. So did my cousins, my mates and sisters. Everyone I know.

That's fair enough so. What annoys me is people who have always called their mother "Mum", starting to call her "Mom" the past couple of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Mom is when you think youre american and mammy, ma, mam are for people that live in a bog.

Well I hope at least you can say things like "three" instead of saying "tree" :p

I can indeed, can you? Did your mom teach you? ;)

She did indeed. Did yore mam have a hard time grasping that pacific word? :p

She did indeed. Did yore mam have a hard time grasping that pacific word? :p

Low blow man, low blow.

• Advertisement

Mom is when you think youre american and mammy, ma, mam are for people that live in a bog.

I'm originally from the country, now living in the city, still always called my mother mam. What do you call her? Just out of curiosity, because the only other ones I can think of are mom, mum, mother, mater, mummy, mother dearest, mumsy... :D

There's one actually, and I'm just saying it this way to demonstrate the point-

My mam learned me to say three trees, that's how I can read bukes good.

I can just imagine a grammar pedants head explode right now! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

It annoys me the way that some men say they hate women

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

The science channels (Discovery/National Geographic/History..etc...) not actually showing anything remotely scientific or interesting or historical. All it is these days is "Ice Road Truckers" or "Gold Rush" or "Storage Wars" or ****ing "Shipping Wars" or some ridiculous reality show.

Shipping wars... SHIPPING WARS! This is a show that is on The History Channel. What the hell has this to do with history? I want to see a documentary about the space race or Hitler. I don't want to watch a team of hicks that have turned their job or hobby into a televisual competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭keano2012

I can think of are mom, mum, mother, mater, mummy, mother dearest, mumsy... :D

you forgot me maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

St. Jimmy wrote: »
    The science channels (Discovery/National Geographic/History..etc...) not actually showing anything remotely scientific or interesting or historical. All it is these days is "Ice Road Truckers" or "Gold Rush" or "Storage Wars" or ****ing "Shipping Wars" or some ridiculous reality show.

Shipping wars... SHIPPING WARS! This is a show that is on The History Channel. What the hell has this to do with history? I want to see a documentary about the space race or Hitler. I don't want to watch a team of hicks that have turned their job or hobby into a televisual competition.

Worse is them actually giving Doomsday Prepper idiot rednecks any attention. It's a joke. I used to remember a time when you'd have super structures or other interesting shows on. Totally gone to f*ck since, though.

It's like the *slightly* more intellectual equivalent of MTV having nothing but Teen Mom and Geordie Shore, but no music whatsoever!

Worse is them actually giving Doomsday Prepper idiot rednecks any attention. It's a joke. I used to remember a time when you'd have super structures or other interesting shows on. Totally gone to f*ck since, though.

Agreed and hours upon hours of "Forensic Detectives" after 10pm. Great show!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 goldensyrup

it annoys me when people leave crumbs in the tub of butter or streaks of butter in honey also when people attempt to throw teabags into the bin too strenuously so they hit the wall and then bounce into the bin leaving brown marks on the wall. watching people drink tea with the spoon in it. Everyone in my house does this all the time so lunch is always a horrific time for me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭keano2012

people who use .com after everything as in "i am tired.com" etc etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 31,883 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

keano2012 wrote: »
    people who use .com after everything as in "i am tired.com" etc etc.....

Especially when they are board.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

St. Jimmy wrote: »

Or the latest one, Rat Bastar*s, it looks like something straight out of Deliverance. *Note to self if I ever visit America I must stay out of the deep south.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement